• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trigger for REM 700

Mrpike71

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2018
I’m looking for a new trigger for my do all REM 700 .308. This started life as an LTR in an LE role. Now it’s a hunting/range plinker. I have it down to two triggers, Timney Elite Hunter and Trigger Tech Primary. Pull weight will hover around 3 pounds, give or take a few ounces. My top priority is reliability over feel/crispness. I have some experience with the Timney 510, nothing with the Trigger Tech. As a note, I just read the entire Trigger Tech thread by Orkan, before reading this I wanted a TT, now I’m not sure. Just looking for some insight from anyone that has experience with both. Thanks!

I have used most all brands over the years, but the new Trigger Tech triggers are solid. My Christensen Arms Ranger 22 came factory with a TT trigger in it. While it doesn't drop as low (weight) as I'd like, there is zero creep, zero over-travel, and it breaks REALLY crisp. It's a solid trigger. Currently, that would be my top pick for any new builds going forward.

Reactions: Jackomason
I don't like trigger tech outside of the receivers that are setup for them. Without a sear adjustment it's hit and miss on how well they feel since the timing can vary so much.

Timney would be my choice of those in a factory receiver.

Not on your list, but I would consider the BnA Tacsport.

I love my BnA's, and you can time it to the action to optimize the interface between the action and trigger sear. I'm amazed that no other triggers have this feature.

TT's are decent, but can be hit or miss in how well they interface with the action. My preference is BnA over the TT, but that's just me and my opinion.

I have used most all brands over the years, but the new Trigger Tech triggers are solid. My Christensen Arms Ranger 22 came factory with a TT trigger in it. While it doesn't drop as low (weight) as I'd like, there is zero creep, zero over-travel, and it breaks REALLY crisp. It's a solid trigger. Currently, that would be my top pick for any new builds going forward.
There doesn’t seem to be much disagreement about how good the TT’s feel but I’m a bit concerned about the issues people are having with them. Again, top priority is reliability. Have you by chance tried a Timney Elite Hunter?

There doesn’t seem to be much disagreement about how good the TT’s feel but I’m a bit concerned about the issues people are having with them. Again, top priority is reliability. Have you by chance tried a Timney Elite Hunter?
Not one of the new ones, but I have shot plenty of Timneys over the years. They're good triggers, too. Along with Jewell, and (if you know what you're doing) the old Walker/Remington 700 triggers after a thorough work-over. I love the old Walker wide-shoe flat-back triggers...Have quite a few of them. If adjusted properly they are just as safe as anything else on the market. Those lawsuits were bunk and should have been dismissed, along with the idiots who got people injured or killed because of their negligence and stupidity in firearms handling and lack of safety procedures.

I don't like trigger tech outside of the receivers that are setup for them. Without a sear adjustment it's hit and miss on how well they feel since the timing can vary so much.

Timney would be my choice of those in a factory receiver.
I hear you on the sear engagement. It doesn’t seem to be as big of issue with the TT Primary though and I’m gonna guess the higher pull weight has something to do with that. In a perfect world, the trigger would drop in and I wouldn’t have to mess with anything, a safe, consistent and reliable 3 pound trigger. I did turn a Timney 510 into rubik’s cube once by messing with the sear engagement/over travel. Sometimes curiosity gets the best of me 😂

• Haha
Reactions: MRADical
Not on your list, but I would consider the BnA Tacsport.

I love my BnA's, and you can time it to the action to optimize the interface between the action and trigger sear. I'm amazed that no other triggers have this feature.

TT's are decent, but can be hit or miss in how well they interface with the action. My preference is BnA over the TT, but that's just me and my opinion.
I was waiting for someone to bring up BnA 😂. I’ll have to take a look at those to.

Not one of the new ones, but I have shot plenty of Timneys over the years. They're good triggers, too. Along with Jewell, and (if you know what you're doing) the old Walker/Remington 700 triggers after a thorough work-over. I love the old Walker wide-shoe flat-back triggers...Have quite a few of them. If adjusted properly they are just as safe as anything else on the market. Those lawsuits were bunk and should have been dismissed, along with the idiots who got people injured or killed because of their negligence and stupidity in firearms handling and lack of safety procedures.
Copy, thanks. And agreed on the Walker style and lawsuits!

Reactions: FuhQ
I hear you on the sear engagement. It doesn’t seem to be as big of issue with the TT Primary though and I’m gonna guess the higher pull weight has something to do with that. In a perfect world, the trigger would drop in and I wouldn’t have to mess with anything, a safe, consistent and reliable 3 pound trigger. I did turn a Timney 510 into rubik’s cube once by messing with the sear engagement/over travel. Sometimes curiosity gets the best of me 😂
Maybe because like 1% of TT users on the Hide have even seen a primary

BnA all the way though

Maybe because like 1% of TT users on the Hide have even seen a primary

BnA all the way though
Copy. The brand new shooters dropping oz triggers in their guns before learning fundamentals is asinine and probably why they don’t improve. Anyway, don’t seem to hear too much negative about BnA. Thanks!

I just put a primary on my sons gun. So far so good nice clean break and didn’t make bolt lift any heavier. For the price we’re happy

Copy, thanks. And agreed on the Walker style and lawsuits!
Seriously... Who loads a bolt-action 700 with hot ammo, and then walks around in front of the gun without opening the bolt, or removing the round, or simple just de-cocking it by pulling the bolt handle up first? People are dumb, and the justice system helps stupid people become absolved of their idiocy. I knew shit was going downhill when that bitch ordered hot coffee and then spilled it on herself, and sued McDonalds for serving her HOT COFFEE... 🤦🏼🤦🏼🤦🏼 Then the OJ acquittal... And hundreds of other examples over the last 20-30 years.

We are living in 1984 Clown World. 🤡

A trigger that allows a firearm to discharge without the trigger being manipulated is a defective product. Forcing the user to move the safety to the "Fire" position before opening the bolt was also not the best product decision.

None of the above is intended to absolve the user of following the Four Rules, but Remington cannot be let off the hook.

With regards to R700 triggers, I like and use both Jewell and Trigger Tech.

A trigger that allows a firearm to discharge without the trigger being manipulated is a defective product. Forcing the user to move the safety to the "Fire" position before opening the bolt was also not the best product decision.

None of the above is intended to absolve the user of following the Four Rules, but Remington cannot be let off the hook.

With regards to R700 triggers, I like and use both Jewell and Trigger Tech.
A Remington 700 bolt CAN be opened with the safety on. Always been that way. So no, Remington isn't at fault. 👍🏼

My only experience with the primary is the one I still have from the first batch of production TT's... back when the "primary" might not have even had a name(at least there isn't any on my trigger or packaging) as it was their only trigger.

The first factory 700 action I put mine on could consistently be slam fired just by running the bolt hard enough (to be fair that was harder than anyone would shooting it, even during speed shooting). It wasn't drop safe either. From there I moved that trigger around on a few custom actions over the years (Big Horn(2x), Fuzion, Surgeon, and Vudoo). Sure some timed better than others, but all of the customs I've tried it on have been drop safe and slam fire free.

Kind of anecdotal evidence, with my experience limited to just one unit (well... to be clear I do have other TT's, but only one primary). Yet, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the primary as a safe option as long as it's going on something better machined and timed than a factory 700 action. Even on factory 700's the slam fire and drop issues were only reported by a handful of us (all factory 700's) during the initial request for feedback... that thread long gone with the death of the SCOUT days.

I knew shit was going downhill when that bitch ordered hot coffee and then spilled it on herself, and sued McDonalds for serving her HOT COFFEE... 🤦🏼🤦🏼🤦🏼
Nice regurgitation of dullard media and low IQ talking points.

That "bitch" as you call her was a sweet old lady, 79-year-old Stella Liebeck, in the passenger seat, in a parked vehicle who received 3rd degree burns in her crotch region, was hospitalized and underwent skin grafts.....

image-5.jpg

main-qimg-e37dbe8e2214d51e27018d686f7cb8da-lq.jpg

My only experience with the primary is the one I still have from the first batch of production TT's... back when the "primary" might not have even had a name(at least there isn't any on my trigger or packaging) as it was their only trigger.

The first factory 700 action I put mine on could consistently be slam fired just by running the bolt hard enough (to be fair that was harder than anyone would shooting it, even during speed shooting). It wasn't drop safe either. From there I moved that trigger around on a few custom actions over the years (Big Horn(2x), Fuzion, Surgeon, and Vudoo). Sure some timed better than others, but all of the customs I've tried it on have been drop safe and slam fire free.

Kind of anecdotal evidence, with my experience limited to just one unit (well... to be clear I do have other TT's, but only one primary). Yet, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the primary as a safe option as long as it's going on something better machined and timed than a factory 700 action. Even on factory 700's the slam fire and drop issues were only reported by a handful of us (all factory 700's) during the initial request for feedback... that thread long gone with the death of the SCOUT
Copy. Seems like the slam fire issue is prevalent with TT’s. Again just looking for something safe, reliable and consistent. I wish there was more info about the Timney Elite Hunter, might just have to review one myself.

I’m looking for a new trigger for my do all REM 700 .308. This started life as an LTR in an LE role. Now it’s a hunting/range plinker. I have it down to two triggers, Timney Elite Hunter and Trigger Tech Primary. Pull weight will hover around 3 pounds, give or take a few ounces. My top priority is reliability over feel/crispness. I have some experience with the Timney 510, nothing with the Trigger Tech. As a note, I just read the entire Trigger Tech thread by Orkan, before reading this I wanted a TT, now I’m not sure. Just looking for some insight from anyone that has experience with both. Thanks!
I have two Trigger tech Specials and love them. One is in a range gun and the other is in my hunting rifle.

A Remington 700 bolt CAN be opened with the safety on. Always been that way. So no, Remington isn't at fault. 👍🏼

That modification was made in the early 80s. The first two decades of Remington 700s cannot be unloaded and made safe without moving the safety to "Fire". The issue here should be quite obvious.

That modification was made in the early 80s. The first two decades of Remington 700s cannot be unloaded and made safe without moving the safety to "Fire". The issue here should be quite obvious.

Momery of an elephant... changed 40's ago and the Hide still won't forgive or forget :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I was waiting for someone to bring up BnA 😂. I’ll have to take a look at those to.

Between a Calvin elite, TT special, and the B&A, I have migrated all of my comp rifles and anything else I shoot regularly to B&A. Sold the others and have a pile of stock triggers in the parts bin.

Momery of an elephant... changed 40's ago and the Hide still won't forgive or forget :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I still use and shoot 1 from the 60's that was gone over by a smith years ago.

I do know that it returns forward, and check that it's forward before I disengage the safety while the rifle is in a safe direction.

Not hard, but have to be mindful.

They are easy to induce a malfunction in. Just take all the tension off the trigger spring and it won't return forward. Then you can pull it, and it'll let the striker drop with the safety since the sear is already disengaged.

I have two Trigger tech Specials and love them. One is in a range gun and the other is in my hunting
Between a Calvin elite, TT special, and the B&A, I have migrated all of my comp rifles and anything else I shoot regularly to B&A. Sold the others and have a pile of stock triggers in the parts bin.
Copy. I just watched a video of one being taken apart and cleaned and I actually really like that feature. Damn, too many options 😂

Then why were the lawsuits all from incidents that happened with NEW guns from the late 90's and early 2000's? If that's the case, the issue you mentioned was a non-factor.

I have a Jewel in a Rem 700 5R SS in .308 and like it a lot.

I have a TT Diamond in a chassis mounted 6.5 CM PRS type gun....and I like it a lot also.

Cheers

Copy. I just watched a video of one being taken apart and cleaned and I actually really like that feature. Damn, too many options 😂

If you do decide to go Timney might be worth while to check prices at OTMtactical... I have zero affiliation with them and I'm not a fan of their current website design... but they usually have pretty fair prices and a solid reputation on here

Not that I'm trying to add confusion to your decision... or am I? :unsure: :)

If you are going to shoot at 3#'s have a smith stone the factory trigger and spend the 120 on 2 boxes of ammo.

Then why were the lawsuits all from incidents that happened with NEW guns from the late 90's and early 2000's? If that's the case, the issue you mentioned was a non-factor.

That sort of thing will happen when you try to slap a band-aid on a poor design.

If you are going to shoot at 3#'s have a smith stone the factory trigger and spend the 120 on 2 boxes of ammo.
Rifle came with a 40x, great trigger but when the great trigger scare occurred and I entered the rifle serial number, it showed that it was under recall. I pulled it at that time, even though I didn’t believe the 40x was the trigger being recalled. Personally owned rifle with an LE application, I wasn’t gonna take a chance. I agree though, ammo is the better investment!

I just received a new TriggerTech Special today. I am selling it because it will not work on my 700. It works on my Terminus Zeus and Curtis Axiom but not the old sloppy 700. It will not consistently catch the cocking pc when cycling the bolt.

If you do decide to go Timney might be worth while to check prices at OTMtactical... I have zero affiliation with them and I'm not a fan of their current website design... but they usually have pretty fair prices and a solid reputation on here

Not that I'm trying to add confusion to your decision... or am I? :unsure: :)
Copy, thanks!

I just received a new TriggerTech Special today. I am selling it because it will not work on my 700. It works on my Terminus Zeus and Curtis Axiom but not the old sloppy 700. It will not consistently catch the cocking pc when cycling the bolt.
Good to know, thanks!

Timney all the way. I've had a few TT, too many warranty issues, too hard to deal with. Timney are just boringly reliable.

Go the elite hunter, they rock.

Reactions: Mrpike71
This was my first TT issue, and even though they explained that the issue is likely the looseness of the action and inability to adjust the sear, they sent me a new one. Customer service was excellent but the new one didn’t fix it. I’m going to try a Timney HIT now.

Reactions: Mrpike71
Timney all the way. I've had a few TT, too many warranty issues, too hard to deal with. Timney are just boringly reliable.

Go the elite hunter, they rock.
Boringly reliable is what I’m looking for!

Nice regurgitation of dullard media and low IQ talking points.

That "bitch" as you call her was a sweet old lady, 79-year-old Stella Liebeck, in the passenger seat, in a parked vehicle who received 3rd degree burns in her crotch region, was hospitalized and underwent skin grafts.....

View attachment 7796795

View attachment 7796802
I wasn't expecting to see old lady taint in here this morning.

Reactions: GoingTheDistance
This was my first TT issue, and even though they explained that the issue is likely the looseness of the action and inability to adjust the sear, they sent me a new one. Customer service was excellent but the new one didn’t fix it. I’m going to try a Timney HIT now.
I'd probably have a smith checkout that action before I'd do anything else... If fitment is that sloppy, that's not good.

I would buy the Shilen. They are offered with bolt release and safety. My hunting rifles are set at 1 1/2 lbs. I've not been able to get all of the creep out of a Jewell at 1 1/2-2.5lbs.

Copy. Seems like the slam fire issue is prevalent with TT’s. Again just looking for something safe, reliable and consistent. I wish there was more info about the Timney Elite Hunter, might just have to review one myself.
I put an Elite Hunter on my sps 308, very happy with it for my purposes, a little varmint shooting, a little range shooting.

I'll take a TT all day long. They are a cut above the rest. Never had a failure. It was the only trigger that kept shooting in a dusty Oklahoma shoot. The others all failed during the day.