• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trigger help?

Lowholer

Private
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2017
I purchased a used Timney trigger here at the hide and not knowing to much about triggers it arrived but does not have a bolt release like my rem 700 has .How do you remove the bolt or is it going to pull out every time I open it up to extract a round?
Thanks Rick

The bolt isn't going to come out when you cycle a round because the bolt stop and bolt stop spring are held in place by the trigger pins. What your trigger is lacking is the assembly on the side of the trigger that lifts up the tail end of the bolt stop and allows the bolt to be removed from the action. It looks like this:

1624318486847.png
1624318669846.png

So even without that tab there on the side of the trigger, the spring pressure will keep the bolt stop engaged but I'd contact Timney and see if they can add the bolt release to the side of your trigger.

I have seen a hotel coffee cup duct taped to a stock to act as a bolt stop.

As said above call timney, it might be a cheap c-clip and a bent piece of sheet metal to fix it.

Reactions: DaleAGribble
It stops the bolt fine. Then I use a small hex wrench to press the bolt release lever Down on the left side of the action. I only clean every 100-200 rds so it’s fine. Lol

Reactions: JBoomhauer
Your smith can machine and pin a nicer bolt release into the receiver like the custom actions have. I trade my Smith components for smith and mill work so it’s like free. Lol

Your smith can machine and pin a nicer bolt release into the receiver like the custom actions have. I trade my Smith components for smith and mill work so it’s like free. Lol
But the rest is still a Remington.

Thanks for all the help I will try the bolt release from my rem if that fails I will call Timney.

I just installed a Timney last week.
I got it without a bolt release.
Took the one off of my Rem Walker trigger and installed it on the Timney.

Your Timney should have a removable button head screw on the left side.

The Rem trigger bolt release is held in place by a pin and a guide stud.

20210622_070913.jpg

The pin is held in place by a C clip on the right side.

20210622_071055.jpg

Remove the C clip and use a small punch (or nail) to push the pin out.
Pull the bolt release away from the trigger assembly.
Push the old pin back into place displacing the punch or nail and reinstall the C clip.

Install the bolt release on your Timney.
Don't overtighten the screw or it will bind the bolt release.

The entire job takes less time than it did for me to walk out to the garage and grab the trigger and punch...