• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trigger pull advice

mbeavers1

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2019
Montgomery, TX
Im having some trigger pull issues and trying to solve them. I have been dry firing to help correct hand placement and follow through, but want to make sure I practice correctly.

Ive seen @lowlight preach that angles matter and that my finger needs to be at 90deg, however I cannot seem to find a way to get all the way there. Here are some pics. Its a bit hard to tell but trigger shoe is half way between tip of finger and 1st joint. Any advice?

20211031_160613.jpg20211031_160617.jpg20211031_160656.jpg

Also why do you think it's a trigger pull issue? I'm not saying otherwise simply asking.

Untitled Image-33.png

need more tension on your grip (thee-finger) pull to flatten shape in you hand,
as noted above, check your length of pull to make sure its sorted

Also why do you think it's a trigger pull issue? I'm not saying otherwise simply asking.
Ha. One, was told that at a JTAC class last summer and two, struggle to shoot good groups. Been thinking it was rifle, but let my buddy thats better than me shoot it and he buried 3 in the same hole 😜

how much are you pulling back with your graspers? (the other 3 fingers)
i don't think exact finger angles matter as long as you have a firm platform and your trigger finger is uninvolved in that.

Reactions: BoltRunner
View attachment 7732208
need more tension on your grip pull to flatten shape in you hand,
as noted above, check your length of pull to make sure its sorted
So did check LOP and its was a bit long. I pulled a spacer out and its a lot closer. Second issue is the palm swell on this Centurion is wide, but vertical.

It feels like my palm right at my knuckles curves out.

how much are you pulling back with your graspers? (the other 3 fingers)
i don't think exact finger angles matter as long as you have a firm platform and your trigger finger is uninvolved in that.
It depends on position really. Pretty easy to 'feel' pullimg back prone but harder on a barricade.

It depends on position really. Pretty easy to 'feel' pullimg back prone but harder on a barricade.
i asked because as somebody else noted, it doesn't look like you are pulling the rifle back into your shoulder very much (just looking at your hand).
i am no expert or instructor, and i only shoot a gas gun, but keep a very strong connection to the rifle. maybe 10-12 lbs.

i asked because as somebody else noted, it doesn't look like you are pulling the rifle back into your shoulder very much (just looking at your hand).
i am no expert or instructor, and i only shoot a gas gun, but keep a very strong connection to the rifle. maybe 10-12 lbs.
I was playing today with my DFAT trainer and I will agree that the tension helps keep reticle still during trigger press. Will be interested to see if i can repeat that on a barricade

I also found that having my trigger set too light was preventing me from getting finger to 90deg. My finger needs a bit of pressure to get that 2nd knuckle (closest to tip) to straighten out so that my finger is straight from tip to the first knuckle (near palm).

I also found that having my trigger set too light was preventing me from getting finger to 90deg. My finger needs a bit of pressure to get that 2nd knuckle (closest to tip) to straighten out so that my finger is straight from tip to the first knuckle (near palm).
This is something I had the same issue with, also 2stage trigger needs that first stage pressed out etc

Trigger pull is a key part but honestly everything before that is likely more important.
Good groups are from consistent everything. If your not slapping it perfect placement is one of the minor things.

So did you switch to a 2-stage or just a heavier single?
Have both. I find 2kg trigger is about right.

I prefer to have some tactile feel of trigger I think a bit of weight helps with this.

Is that a TT Diamond? If it’s setup out of the box or less than 2 lbs, you really don’t require a firm grip to stabilize your hand so you can make a clean press. My grip pressure is much different on a gasser with a 3-5lbs or more trigger vs a light Comp trigger on my PRS guns.

The best way to know is dry fire it, if there is any reticle jump then something is happening. Anticipation is huge reason why groups open, not focusing on the reticle is another big one. Then bad parallax, shooting while uncomfortable (rifle setup/body position), loose bipods, breathing. There’s a lot to look at outside of trigger press.

Finally, the best antidote is to continue to dry fire, live fire, and hold yourself accountable. But the real key is to seek training in person or ask a good shooter to watch you. There’s just a lot to diagnose. But your buddy drives home ragged 1-hole groups then at least you know it’s not the rifle.

Reactions: Darkside-Six
Is that a TT Diamond? If it’s setup out of the box or less than 2 lbs, you really don’t require a firm grip to stabilize your hand so you can make a clean press. My grip pressure is much different on a gasser with a 3-5lbs or more trigger vs a light Comp trigger on my PRS guns.

The best way to know is dry fire it, if there is any reticle jump then something is happening. Anticipation is huge reason why groups open, not focusing on the reticle is another big one. Then bad parallax, shooting while uncomfortable (rifle setup/body position), loose bipods, breathing. There’s a lot to look at outside of trigger press.

Finally, the best antidote is to continue to dry fire, live fire, and hold yourself accountable. But the real key is to seek training in person or ask a good shooter to watch you. There’s just a lot to diagnose. But your buddy drives home ragged 1-hole groups then at least you know it’s not the rifle.
Yes its a Diamond and its below 2 for sure.

Thinking a couple things:

1. Obviously dry fire.
2. Gonna get the 22lr out (same trigger but set higher, maybe 2lbs) and shoot at a 1" target at 100yds. Gonna try to get 3-400 rds downrange each week until Im hitting consistently.
3. Move to center fire and shoot the same 1" targets at 300.

Ive already talked to Rifles Only about a 1v1 2 day session.

Yes its a Diamond and its below 2 for sure.

Thinking a couple things:

1. Obviously dry fire.
2. Gonna get the 22lr out (same trigger but set higher, maybe 2lbs) and shoot at a 1" target at 100yds. Gonna try to get 3-400 rds downrange each week until Im hitting consistently.
3. Move to center fire and shoot the same 1" targets at 300.

Ive already talked to Rifles Only about a 1v1 2 day session.
Oh man that’s a tall order, I find grouping drills at 300 to be frustrating, good to do for sure but you are also introducing environmentals in your grouping drills.

I like a 1-shot drill, setup 5x 1moa targets at 100 from prone, take one shot, stand up, wait a min or 2 then shot the next 1 moa box, I akin it to slow aim fire drills. Takes 5min or so and you get practice building the position. Basically a build and break drill.

I repeat this drill from prone, modified prone, then tripod.

Just something I work on. I try to dry fire 10-15x, see that reticle sit solid then run the drills.

I think blasting 5rd groups over and over can be exhausting.

Just my approach to hammering the fundamentals.

1. Obviously dry fire. Gonna try to get 3-400 trigger pulls each week until Im hitting consistently
Changed what you should do....Focus on the dry fire first, then think about actual firing. Learn to "call your shots" so you know exactly where the reticle was when the trigger or shot broke..

Last edited:
Not sure it's a trigger press issue that's causing less than perfect groups. Stuff I run through in my head that might be helpful to work on.

• Disconnect the movement of trigger fingertip from any other hand movement, avoid secondary squeeze with your lower three fingers.
  • Pull and/or press the trigger straight backwards in line with the bore, mentally aim your fingertip movement toward your shoulder.
  • Feel the tip of your finger on the trigger shoe, try to equally feel both sides of the trigger edge.
  • Set up the gun/bipod body position to facilitate straight back recoil. Once in position and looking at target, give the gun a little back/forth shake to see if it wants to track straight-back at you in line with target. Goal is to remove any torque from the bipod/bag setup that would twist the gun on firing.
  • Maintain perfect relaxation/NPA through the trigger squeeze and complete firing process. No gripping the gun post-shot, no tensing of the shoulder or body.

First and last ones are probably most important IMO. Test yourself next range trip. Shoot 4 or 5 groups, but make yourself a primerless dummy round and sneak it into the magazine in an unknown position for each group. Then put your cell phone camera on slo-mo and film your trigger finger, hand and face to watch how you react (or lack of reaction) when you break the shot.