• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Trigger pull guage

riverman1

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2012
Edgewood, Texas
I going to upgrade my old analog guage to a digital. The main two options I see are the Wheeler and the Lyman. Which is everyones favorite? Are there any other options that I am missing?

Thanks,

Riverman

I have the Lyman. It works well and is easy to operate.

I have no experience with the Wheeler.

Lyman user here too but I am curious to try the Wheeler though because it can reference the current and average pull setting along with number of pulls on one screen.

This weekend I replaced the factory trigger with a drop in adjustable trigger on a AR10. I know 3 guys that have a new Lyman, a new Timney mechanical, a Wheeler Digital and a NRA weight system for checking triggers. I adjusted the trigger pull to try for an average weight of 3 lbs 8 oz using the Timney mechanical gauge.

Each gauge was tested with 10 pulls and averaged. A slow and parallel pull was used.

Using the NRA weight system 3 lbs 12 oz could be used on the trigger and the trigger would not break. By adding one more ounce for a total of 3 lbs 13 oz the trigger would break every time. Using this system the butt of the gun was placed on a table letting the weights hand free for gravity to work.

1603146330710.png

The Lyman Digital gauge averaged 3 lbs 7.7 oz. The highest reading was 3 lbs 9.7 oz. The lowest reading was 3 lbs 4.7 oz.

1603146372526.png

The Timney mechanical gauge averaged 3 lbs 7.5 oz. Each mark, on the scale, is 2 oz and is possible to read to 1 ounce. The highest reading was 3 lbs 10 oz. The lowest reading was 3 lbs 4 oz.

1603146500141.png

Unfortunately, the guy that owned the Wheeler Digital, dropped the unit and could not get it to turn on. This was a disappointment.

1603146736015.png

I'm not saying all units will work as close as these and your mileage might vary. Also, durability of each unit is unknown.

Last edited:
At every match that I've been to, when the triggers get weighed, the NRA weights are used. That's what I use at home.