• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trigger Question

abbthe1

Private
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2010
I just bought Remington 700 LTR, and have to take to gunsmith to install scope base, etc. While its there I was thinking to replace factory trigger. The gunsmith recommends Jewell trigger, but after doing some reading on the forum it seems Jewell has some reliability issues. I am in NYC, and we can only own bolt action rifles, so along with being general purpose (target, hunting, etc) this rifle will be SHTF rifle as well. So is Jewell good to go on SHTF rifle, or Timney or Rifle Basix are better alternatives?

I am new to this and this my first rifle. Does anyone recommend any other work to be performed by the gunsmith to increase accuracy/reliability of the rifle while the rifle is there? The gunsmith located pretty far from where I live, so I would like everything done while its already there.

Last edited:
4 years of abuse and thousands of rounds fired my Jewell trigger just keeps on going,

Jewell are great triggers and a good investment in your rifle. Timney makes good quality drop in triggers for the 700 as well. Have both and prefer the Jewell. Besides installing an aftermarket trigger, you may want to consider having the rifle pillar bedded and floated. The newer Remington's are known for sloppy bedding and can be very frustrating when trying to obtain good groups. Had a 700 CDL SF 300 WSM that shot so poorly I was going to get rid of it. Had it pillar bedded and floated and is now capable of sub 1/2 MOA groups when I am up to it.