• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trigger Reccomendatiion

Ballistic Archer

Private
Minuteman
May 30, 2011
North East USA
Gents,

Please reccomend am AR upgrade trigger that you have personally used. I have a Bushmaster XM-15A3ES 20" bbl rifle with a Nikon M-223 3-12X40 scope mounted. The rifle is a 1.5 moa shooter benched at 100 yds with UMC223 55gr cheap stuff. That said, I am really feel I am fighting the trigger, it is heavy and a bit gritty. I am considering a Timney what have you had good reuslts with. And spare me any Bushy bashing, as the rifle is accurate and I got it for $750.00 out the door brand new.

Your trigger wisdom is appreciated.

Thanks,

BA

Re: Trigger Reccomendatiion

geissele trigger, I like the flat combat trigger myself.

Take a look at the Geissele Super Semi-Automatic Enhanced (SSA-E) with a combined pull of 3.5lbs with the first stage being something like 2.3lbs and the second stage being 1.2lbs. It's pretty crisp.

I have Geissele SSA's on all my basic carbines and an SSA-E on my Mk-12. They are smooth and reliable.

I have a Timney, CMC, and Geissele. The Geissele S3G is the best trigger I have ever used on an AR.

If you are fighting the trigger, with a trigger upgrade, your groups should improve (if you are doing everything else correctly).

When set up properly, nothing can come close to the JP but that's just my opinion. You just have to spend some time tuning the trigger group. For a drop in solution, the triggers already mentioned are good choices.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MaximumVelocity</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When set up properly, nothing can come close to the JP but that's just my opinion. You just have to spend some time tuning the trigger group. For a drop in solution, the triggers already mentioned are good choices. </div></div>

i have to agree, i have a jp on my 338lapua and on my 5.56 both AR platforms.

+1 on the Geissele SSA. I've also used a POF TITS (single stage, basically same as the Timney) that was good, although the Geissele SSA gives me more precision.

Geissele SSA-E - if you want a 2 stage trigger, which you didn't mention in your original question. I like it alot - the 2.3 1st stage allows me to take up the slack to the 1s stage and the remaining ~1.2 lbs is nothing at all, very clean break. Or - throw caution to the wind and just pull the trigger - it's a sweet trigger assembly imo

FWIW, I had a Chip McCormick trigger in my target AR.

For very little cash, you can swap out the factory springs for the JP yellow spring kit (Lookahere). A simple, yet affective start.

I use the original JP in all of my 3-gun and predator AR's, they are hard to beat for the money. I also have one Timney in my Prairie dog AR and it works well also. I have used the JP since they first came out maybe about 15 years ago. I have installed a few of the new JP EZ triggers for some guys and they are very simple to install and would be my choice for any new builds. My 2 cents.

I have a Timney, Rock River 2-Stage and a Geisselle on all of my AR's. I realized one day how many spare parts i had and was able to put together a complete 16" .223/5.56 AR-15. The thing is I had to use a gritty factory trigger (i think it had a 8+lb pull).

I decided to search the internet and find a page on "trigger polishing". I went ahead and got to work polishing with a dremel but most work was done by hand. I polished all parts that contacted each other, i.e. trigger, hammer, etc. I also followed the method on bending the springs.

After all was done I was VERY surprised how well it actually worked. I got the trigger pull just about 4lbs. Still has some creep but none of the gritty feeling.

After I did this I took my Rock River 2-stage apart and polished it. It came out so well it rivals my Geiselle trigger.

If you dont want to spend money you could find many good pages online about how to get your factory trigger to feel pretty damn decent (for a factory trigger). You will have to invest in a trigger gauge to do this unless you already have one, this way it saves you alot of money.

If your going to buy one, you cant beat the Rock River 2-Stage for the price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a look at the Geissele Super Semi-Automatic Enhanced (SSA-E) with a combined pull of 3.5lbs with the first stage being something like 2.3lbs and the second stage being 1.2lbs. It's pretty crisp. </div></div>

I agree it is crisp although i'll note the first stage is brief it's not nearly exaggerated like the RRA that i've used which took me off guard. Also my second stage doesn't feel like 1lb to me. Maybe i'm pulling light but it feels more like 1.5-2.0. My bolt gun is at 1lb and i understand the difference in feel but the amount of pull on geissele seems to be a tad more than i'm used to. None the less as killshot said it's crisp, very durable, and at a medium price range.

If you want a single stage trigger, the Timney is good. I love single stages and have the Timney 3#'er on both my ARs and really like both. They both feel exactly the same and break very nicely. I know the exact break point and can hold right before it for a nice sight picture.

If you want two stages, Geissele is the way to go.

Don't go cheap on triggers - they are a huge part of an accurate AR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamesBailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want a single stage trigger, the Timney is good. I love single stages and have the Timney 3#'er on both my ARs and really like both. They both feel exactly the same and break very nicely. I know the exact break point and can hold right before it for a nice sight picture.

If you want two stages, Geissele is the way to go.

Don't go cheap on triggers - they are a huge part of an accurate AR.

</div></div>
+1

I have a Geissele and Timney both are great IMO. I called Geissele about a problem I was having with my AR-10 trigger and they had a new spring out within a couple days. Great customer service.

I have a few Geissele Hi-Speed DMR triggers and love 'em (for comparison, the only other two-stage AR triggers I have are KAC and Jewell). Having said that, I would probably give the SSA-E a go the next time around since the specs seems pretty ideal to me for a nice two-stage AR trigger and it keeps the design a lot cleaner than the Hi-Speeds. For some reason I also like the extra sear engagement of the two-stage triggers over what a single stage offers; just gives me more peace of mind.

For single-stage, my favorite so far has been the Wilson TTU group in my carbine. I prefer this unit to the JP, Chip McCormick, and JP triggers I have in other rifles but a lot of it is just personal preference. I've wanted to try their two-stage to see how it feels but haven't had an opportunity yet.

It's a couple of years old, but there's a good overview of different trigger options here.

Two of my AR-15s have a Geissele DMR, the third sports an SSA-E. Everyone that's shot these rifles has commented positively on the triggers. I think that the SSA-E makes the most sense.

—Andreas

I have a Geissele in my M-4 that is my work gun and the Wilson Combat TTU Single Stage in my DPMS LR-308. The Wilson has no creep, a smooth 4 lbs trigger and fells like my bolt gun. The Geissele is also smooth but I perfer a single stage trigger on a scoped AR

Thanks for everybodys suggestions, in the end I focused on RRA, Giselle and Timney and ended up ordering a Timney. Main reason is simply that I have had several of them on bolt guns and been very happy and the modular drop in design of the unit. They also have very good reports online. They are currently on sale at Midway for about $180.00. I went with the 3lb solid trigger unit and will try to remember to post up my impressions after some range time, looking forward to putting some holes in stuff far, far away.

Thanks again gents.

RRA two stage, polished the hell out of it, JP reduced spring kit. Very nice.

I just had the same delima...
I decided to go with a Geissele S3G for a single stage feeling hybrid on a rifle I'll be using in 3 gun and the SSA-E for its bigger brother.

I bought a Geissele SSA-E for my mk12 and the trigger is amazing in every aspect.