• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trigger Recommendations

The salmon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I am getting some parts together then am sending them to Marc at Spartan,
I have the stock, barrel, scope mount, etc. decided, but dont have a trigger to replace the X-mark the 700 receiver comes with.
Any recommendations are fine, 1-stage or 2-stage

Thanks,

Sam

Single stage: Timney (I really like the flat shoe) or Jewell

Two Stage: Huber (my pick) or CG Jackson

What he said^^^^
Sully

I'll 3rd that.
I have the Timney 517 (flat shoe) on my rifle and it breaks like glass. Love it. I've shot a rifle with a Huber as well and that thing was pretty awesome, it would take me some getting used to as that was one of the first and only times I've ever played with a 2 stage.

I really like my timney, wide trigger shoe helps me have a smooth consistent trigger pull. Like it distributes the pressure over a larger surface area.

For a single stage I love my Jewel Varmint trigger. Some people have reported problems when it gets dirty. I have personally never experienced this but it is out there. You have to remember with finely crafted equipment sometimes they can be temperamental. This includes custom action as we all know. I eventually went to the dark side after shooting Giesseles in my ARs and have switched over to Hubers two stages in 2.5 They don't really seem like a true 2 stage as much as. The first stage actually seems like a set trigger. Personally I love my Huber. My advice is try to get in contact with people here in your area and try them out. They are all really different beasts, not just one or stage triggers but between manufactures.

I've used Timney triggers in both my rifles, they are a dream, smooth and flawless.

I like Jewell and Timney...depending on the rifle's application. I've owned many rifles with tuned Remington and Winchester triggers that also felt just about right. Now, it may seem strange and the pull weight is much more than my others, but I love my trigger on my AI AW (two stage with a nice clean break).

Im hearing a lot about how the Huber isnt a true 2-stage
Can someone explain this to me
Im 13 and saving up the money to buy the rifle parts and send to Marc at Spartan (i will give the money i saved up and give it to my uncle and he will buy them since im not 18, send them to Marc and He will keep the rifle until im 18, until then he will let me use it under supervision until im 18, at which point he will give it to me

Timney for me.

I liked the one I put on my 700 so much, I put one on my CZ455 VPT.

I would love to try a CG Extreme, but I am getting used to the single stage.

I really like my CG X-treme trigger, if I happen to be shooting in cooler weather it's much better than shooting with my 6oz Jewell trigger, as it's harder to have premature firing because I can feel the 2 stage better due to my fingers getting cold really easy. Even when Im shooting 600yd benchrest the 2 stage works just fine, from what I heard about the Huber Im glad I got the CG.

For adjusting down to mere ounces, you will hear nothing but good about Jewell. Perfect for benchrest shooting and pushing paper to see the kind of groups you can get.

But, if you are running matches, hunting, or doing any type of shooting that involves the possibility of the rifle being bumped with also the probability of you wearing gloves, I will recommend a Timney 517 down to about 1.5-2lbs. Thats what I use, and I have NEVER had a complaint.