• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing trigger spring to short?

WRENCHHEAD

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2005
arcadia, CA.
i'm trying to adjust an old style remington trigger here, but when i try to get the pull weight down theres tons of slack in the trigger shoe and the sear won't engage in a proper manner.

it seems as though the trigger return spring is to short and not putting enough pressure to keep the trigger shoe in a forward position.

anyone know the proper length to this spring?

Re: trigger spring to short?

The problem isn't the length of the spring, it is that you are likely trying to adjust it too low. I would increase the pull weight until the trigger is positively returned every time. Sometimes this will take 3 or more pounds. It is very dangerous in its current state, if the trigger isn't being reset properly. There is a lot of internal friction in those triggers that prevents it from being reliably set at a low rate. I have heard that they can be adjusted down to the 2 to 2.5 pound range, but I would leave that to a professional.

Dave

the triggers in the 3.5 range and it's not returning with the pressure i'd like.

my other old style trigger adjusted fine down to 3lbs and the trigger has zero slack and resets perfect and solid.

If your trigger is at 3.5 pounds and has no spring pressure, I would say that the trigger won't be adjustable lower than that with any spring you could put in there. Does that make sense? Currently the spring is not touching the trigger at all, so it is not putting any resistance on the trigger, therefore, with any kind of spring pressure it will be more than 3.5 pounds. Therefore, you have the spring further out than it can be, and you are chasing a weight that cannot be had. There are likely some smiths out there who specialize in Remmy triggers that could tune your trigger to a lower pull weight, but I don't think you are going to find your answer in a longer spring...

Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. call Brownell
2. buy a Timney trigger</div></div>

Tough to argue with that logic...

The OEM Remington trigger pull weight spring in pre 2006 trigger groups is approximately 3/16" long.

Clear Action-physically & visually.
Remove the action from the stock.
Remove Bolt Assy from action.
Clean trigger group w/naptha/lighter fluid.
Use acetone to remove screw sealing material.
Remove Top Front(longer Piloted)Over Travel screw from housing.
Remove Lower Front(shorter Piloted)Pull Weight screw & spring from housing(dental pick works wonders).
Remove Lower Rear(long-unpiloted)Sear Engagement screw.

Ensure connector is in proper position on trigger.
Squeeze trigger to hold connector in place.
Thread sear engagement screw(rear)into housing until flush.
Hold trigger to keep connector in place.
Thread over travel screw(front upper)into housing until 2 threads protrude from housing.
Hold trigger to keep connector in place.
Insert pull weight spring & short piloted screw until 2 threads protrude from housing.
Ensure Firearm/Action in CLEAR/SAFE
Insert bolt assy.
Cam into Battery.
Adjust sear engagement screw(rear)to obtain .030" sear/connector engagement-observed through window in LH trigger housing side plate.
Adjust Over Travel Screw(top Front) to obtain .010" over travel.
Adjust Trigger Pull Weight Screw(lower front)to obtain positive contact between connector & trigger.