• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Trigger Suggestions Needed

GHatfield

Minuteman
I have a factory Remington 700 BDL chambered in .338 win mag and I want to go to a lighter trigger. Should I adjust the factory trigger down to around two pounds or have a whole new trigger put it the rifle? If I should go with a new trigger what should I go with?

Re: Trigger Suggestions Needed

a good gunplumber that knows what they are doing will make love to your existing trigger and set it to 2.5 lbs w/some aftermarket springs and a stone job in the right and correct place...

Jard has some interesting stuff. Cheap too. He EDM cuts the levers from barstock. They are way better than stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KOTM-Direct</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a factory Remington 700 BDL chambered in .338 win mag and I want to go to a lighter trigger. Should I adjust the factory trigger down to around two pounds or have a whole new trigger put it the rifle? If I should go with a new trigger what should I go with? </div></div>

With the issued spring, getting the trigger to break at 2 pounds is a pipe dream. Holland makes a spring kit for the 700 and with the proper adjustment 2.5 Lbs is easily obtainable. With a slight amount of stone work on the trigger sear / contact points 2 lbs or under is possible. The spring change and adjust is a DIY, that’s where I'd start.

Im a fan of Timney triggers, I have 2 (and a third on the way) and they run very well. I have yet to clean either one and they both work 100%

They cant be beat for the price.

3 removal & replacements-
WOW!!!!

Clean/hone/adj/seal the OEM Rem std/pre 2006 trigger group & TIME the firing pin for the most consistent break.
Otherwise depending on how you close the bolt "smartly" as per the operators manual, trigger pull will vary over 3/4Lb.

If you only want to be at 2lbs I'd work the factory trigger no need in spending money on another if you'll be happy at 2.

I picked up my rifle today from the guys at GAP and they tuned the trigger to 3#. The trigger feels crisp and clean like a September morning in the rocky's.

I also had them install a Vais brake while they had it. I am looking forward to seeing the how much recoil is reduced by the Vais.

Great bunch of guys to deal with...

I took the rifle out to the range today to shoot after GAP did the trigger job and the Vais was installed. The Vais reduced the recoil about 50%.

I believe the Vais has improved accuracy as well. The first three shots were on the left and the next three on the right. I have never had this bare bones 700 shoot this well.