• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Trigger Swap Question

khawk

Private
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2009
N. Texas
I've done a search here but can't find the info I need. I don't care for the X Mark Pro triggers, but when I look at other triggers, such as Timney, Shilen and others, most lack a safety lever. I realize that you can simply swap your factory M700 lever to the aftermarket trigger, but will the X Mark Pro trigger's safety lever swap over to a Timney, Shilen or Rifle Basix? I know the older, fully adjustable M700 triggers will swap over, but am not sure about the X Mark's. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Re: Trigger Swap Question

The Timney Cempetition trigger can be had with a safety. I have three of them here and they all have a safety. I have an X-treme mod 22 that has a safety. I'm pretty sure that you can get Rifle Basix either with or without a safety and I know that Shilen wants you to transfer your old safety over.

To know whether the safety that's on your 700 will transfer over specifically I give them a call. There are three factory Remington triggers floating around right now, the old style (pre-2006) the X-Mark and the X-Mark Pro which has the weight of pull adjustment on the trigger shoe. The folks that work at Timney and Shilen are nice folks and Tom at X-Treme is a heck of a nice guy, they won't bite, in fact they'll be happy to help you procure a trigger you'll be happy with. I've not had a need to call Rifle Basix but I assume they are nice too.

Get a Jewell trigger, Brownells has them in stock right now, 230 bucks. Just installed one, and it is much better than what you have. You may need to relieve a small amount around the safety lever, but it is not much.

The X Mark Pro safety and bolt release will not work on a Shilen. I found out the hard way. I'm going to verify with Shilen on Monday that the Rifle Basix safety kit and bolt release will work. I'll update with part numbers when I find out something.

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm a lefty and am in the process of procuring LH bolt rifles as I'm tired of shooting "wrong-handed" guns. I have a GAP build in the works, but it'll be this fall/winter before I receive it. Right now, I'm procuring a LH SPS Varmint to shoot this spring/summer, but just can't do the X Mark Pro trigger.

Shilen is right up the road from me. However, I really like a wide trigger shoe - like the older M700 triggers have - and the Shilen triggers I've seen are pretty narrow. I believe Timney's are a little wider as are the Rifle Basix. I need a 2 - 2.5 lb. trigger pull. Guess I'll start calling these folks on Monday. The safety lever transfer on the X Mark looks like it won't work. Being left-handed complicates things even more.