• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trigger weight

blacklab1

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2018
What trigger weight is everyone running on their PRS rifle? I just bought a new to me used rifle to start shooting PRS. I was a little surprised to see the trigger set at 14oz, my 3 gun rifles are set at 3.5lbs, my USPSA open guns and .22 for MARS are right at 1.5lbs. I’m a little concerned that 14oz might get me a DQ while trying to balance on a tank trap or any other obstacle while on the clock. Would turning it up to around 1.5 lbs be a huge disadvantage? Some of the details are, gun weighs 19.6lbs, 6.5 CM and I’ll only be going out to 800 yards if it matters.

I like my firing intentional, and I don't set up uber-light triggers. I usually put my hunting rifles around 2-3lb and PRS gamer gun somewhere in the 1.5-2lb ballpark. My PRS AR-15 is 3.5lb and I won't go lighter than that with an AR (chance of doubling/DQ).

I shot a guy's 457 with the Timney trigger after the last match at IWLA.

Being used to my trigger, I started to BANG! squeeze. WTF?! This thing's LIGHT with a capital LIGHT. Once I sorta got used to it, it wasn't as much of a deal, but I had to remember to definitely keep my finger off the trigger

I had wondered why people ran such light triggers on their match guns. Now I know: doesn't take nearly the effort to get a good shot off when you don't have to squeeeeeeze. I bought a pair of Yo Dave trigger springs (2 rifles) to try out before dropping coin on Timneys

M

Reactions: blacklab1
I like my firing intentional, and I don't set up uber-light triggers. I usually put my hunting rifles around 2-3lb and PRS gamer gun somewhere in the 1.5-2lb ballpark. My PRS AR-15 is 3.5lb and I won't go lighter than that with an AR (chance of doubling/DQ).
My firing is intentional. Many 10’s of thousands of rounds down range. Never sent one without touching the trigger. Kind of like muzzle discipline. I see the same disconnect when someone starts operating hydraulic equipment. They are barely aware of their hands and feet and use them like clubs on the controls.

Reactions: blacklab1
How about trigger finger discipline?

If you're not worried about dq for ND while reloading an open pistol this is no different
I understand what you're saying, PRS seems to put me out of my comfort level on some things. I guess the short answer is I need to practice, and a lot of it.

Reactions: Emerson0311
I understand what you're saying, PRS seems to put me out of my comfort level on some things. I guess the short answer is I need to practice, and a lot of it.

I guess it’s different for everyone, but if I’m concentrating like I should on getting a perfect trigger press, pressing slowly enough where it seems like forever (but is probably only a half of a second or so, if even that long), then my light 8oz trigger on my 22lb PRS rifle can almost seem heavy while I’m waiting for it to go bang…

I like mine to be heavy enough to where I can put the pad of my finger on it, but still not go bang unless I want it to, in other words, light as shit but I can still safely and reliably abort if wanted (even off of obstacles)… but light enough to where the last tiny bit of pressure/movement still gives me a “surprise break”, sort of a “controlled surprise break” if you will.

Morgun King talks about the same sort of thing in one of his more recent podcasts and I agree and tend to see it the same way.

(YMMV of course)

I guess it’s different for everyone, but if I’m concentrating like I should on getting a perfect trigger press, pressing slowly enough where it seems like forever (but is probably only a half of a second or so, if even that long), then my light 8oz trigger on my 22lb PRS rifle can almost seem heavy while I’m waiting for it to go bang…

I like mine to be heavy enough to where I can put the pad of my finger on it, but still not go bang unless I want it to, in other words, light as shit but I can still safely and reliably abort if wanted (even off of obstacles)… but light enough to where the last tiny bit of pressure/movement still gives me a “surprise break”, sort of a “controlled surprise break” if you will.

Morgun King talks about the same sort of thing in one of his more recent podcasts and I agree and tend to see it the same way.

(YMMV of course)
I feel the same. When I use a generic hunting rifle like a lever action, it feels like a slow heavy rep in the gym.

12oz.

It's not unsafe. Turns out you can control whether you put your booger hook on the bang switch.

Well, my booger hooker is my pinky. It just fits better. 😁

Keeping your index finger away from and off of the trigger until you're ready to fire is absolutely the answer.

I have triggers that are set as low as 2-oz. Yep, 2-oz. I don't get ADs.

After more than 4 decades of doing maintenance work, including 21 years of aircraft stuff, my index fingers are twisted, racked with arthritis and the pads have no sensitivity left in them. In fact, I can lightly touch my phone screen and not even feel it, but the phone will react.

My index finger does not go into the trigger guard until I'm ready to begin the firing sequence.
Hand has to be in the proper place on the grip. Thumb placed on the rest. Slight rearward pressure, then the index finger begins to curl into the trigger guard. Finger touches trigger shoe. Slight pressure to take up first stage. Feel the little wall. Break when ready. If sight picture and alignment on target are off, then the finger comes completely out of the trigger guard. Restart trigger sequence when ready.

All of that happens very quickly and took way, way longer to write than it would have to empty a 10 round magazine on target.

I'll reiterate what was said early.

Keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire.

My firing is intentional. Many 10’s of thousands of rounds down range. Never sent one without touching the trigger. Kind of like muzzle discipline. I see the same disconnect when someone starts operating hydraulic equipment. They are barely aware of their hands and feet and use them like clubs on the controls.

100% not an issue of "keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire". Got it bud-- Watched Lcpl Shitforbrains shoot the top deck of the USS New Orleans because of grey matter deficiency. Trigger weight isn't the method to solve that... And I'll be able to recite treat never keep keep from my grave for eternity. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the time after acquiring the target, but between getting my finger on the trigger and breaking the shot. Do whatever works for you, but I prefer a concerted effort to break the shot. Somewhere significantly lighter than where I'm questioning whether the safety is on or not during the trigger squeeze but where I still feel, then apply pressure before it goes off. Enough that I have to "mean it". With quality triggers that's 1.5-2lb in a bolt gun and 3lb in a gasser for me. You do you.

Nobody intends to double or AD, but I've still witnessed it from among THE BEST shooters in the competitive shooting world and watched them eat a match DQ over it. Sad days that are worth avoiding, and proper fundamentals mean I don't see a performance difference between a couple pounds and a couple ounces. YMMV.

100% not an issue of "keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire". Got it bud-- Watched Lcpl Shitforbrains shoot the top deck of the USS New Orleans because of grey matter deficiency. Trigger weight isn't the method to solve that... And I'll be able to recite treat never keep keep from my grave for eternity. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the time after acquiring the target, but between getting my finger on the trigger and breaking the shot. Do whatever works for you, but I prefer a concerted effort to break the shot. Somewhere significantly lighter than where I'm questioning whether the safety is on or not during the trigger squeeze but where I still feel, then apply pressure before it goes off. Enough that I have to "mean it". With quality triggers that's 1.5-2lb in a bolt gun and 3lb in a gasser for me. You do you.

Nobody intends to double or AD, but I've still witnessed it from among THE BEST shooters in the competitive shooting world and watched them eat a match DQ over it. Sad days that are worth avoiding, and proper fundamentals mean I don't see a performance difference between a couple pounds and a couple ounces. YMMV.
Your personal anecdotes notwithstanding, if you don’t see the difference between a 2lbs and 1 lbs trigger pull…… What keeps opposing traffic on their side of the double yellow? Same thing that keeps you from sending a random round down range. Control your finger or stay home.

• Haha
Reactions: Ledzep
Trigger weight is preference and you can ND with a 5lbs trigger too.

Keep your bolt open when you’re moving and your dick beaters off the trigger until you’re ready to press it and you won’t have a problem.

I guess I should have been a little more specific in my original post. I understand what everyone is saying about keeping your booger hooker off the trigger and am well aware of that rule, but........I'm not the type of shooter that can hold a rifle perfectly still, it doesn't seem to be in my DNA. I'll be on target for a couple seconds then off for a couple seconds. Those couple of seconds are the worry point for me. I'm not sure how far off target you can be before they'll call a ND if I would touch the trigger a little hard while trying to get back on target, each shooting sport seems to have their own definition. In Steel Challenge if it doesn't go over the berm or hit any closer then 15 feet Infront of you you're fine, USPSA isn't so forgiving. So, I have a serious question, I'm not being a wise ass, I just want to know what I need to work on. When you're on a barricade and have the butt supported with a bag, tripod or whatever, how long can you stay on target? Even with proper breathing exercises, rifle pulled slightly into shoulder, NPA as close as I can get it, as square as possible and supported as well as possible my crosshairs still drift a little and I have a small window of opportunity to squeeze the trigger when I'm actually on target. Is that normal?

If the rifle is supported you should never drift off target when you’re gonna shoot. If it does then it’s not supported. A barricade with tripod rear is about as solid if a position you can get into. The gun shouldn’t be put in a position to fire until you have it supported on target.

If you are on social medias check out the modern day sniper videos, they offer paid lessons but also post stuff up for free. They do the through the scope pics side by side with the external view. It’s a nice example of what you should be striving for.

Last edited:
Reactions: DIBBS
If the rifle is supported you should never drift off target when you’re gonna shoot. If it does then it’s not supported. A barricade with tripod rear is about as solid if a position you can get into. The gun shouldn’t be put in a position to fire until you have it supported on target.

If you are on social medias check out the modern day sniper videos, they offer paid lessons but also post stuff up for free. They do the through the scope pics side by side with the external view. It’s a nice example of what you should be striving for.

Thank you, I see now that I'm the guy that has the crosshairs on target for a few seconds and tries to rush the shot before they drift off...... I need a lot more practice.

...if you don’t see the difference between a 2lbs and 1 lbs trigger pull…… What keeps opposing traffic on their side of the double yellow? ...

Read what I wrote again and tell me if what you just said and what I said are the same thing.

Sub 8oz is high risk for an ND. It depends on the shooter, but 14oz is typically pretty safe IF you train for it.

Dryfire practice on a daily basis until it becomes second nature.

I can transition between a 12oz prs competition trigger and 6lb EDC Glock trigger without difficulty.

Also, a 2 stage trigger can help if you want a super light pull weight. That little bit of travel for the first stage can help prevent ND’s