• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TriggerTech? Got a few questions

TheBigCountry

Green Weenie
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2013
    I’m looking at their Primary and Special trigger for a build with an Origin; I’m wondering what are the differences between the two triggers? I don’t think I’d have my trigger weight set below 2 pounds if that makes any difference?

With the Origin having a side bolt release, would it be better to get the trigger without a bolt release?

Lastly, this may be personal, but I see they offer a curved and flat trigger. Any advantage to the flat version?

The primary model is adjustable down to 1.5 pounds, while the special is adjustable down to 1.0 pound.

The bolt release on the trigger shouldn't matter as it is removable. I generally buy and sell them with the bolt release merely for the fact that they are easily removable. Either will work for the Origin.

Shoe style is personal preference.

I’m looking at their Primary and Special trigger for a build with an Origin; I’m wondering what are the differences between the two triggers? I don’t think I’d have my trigger weight set below 2 pounds if that makes any difference?

With the Origin having a side bolt release, would it be better to get the trigger without a bolt release?

Lastly, this may be personal, but I see they offer a curved and flat trigger. Any advantage to the flat version?
    You can remove the bolt release, so get one with it in case you ever need it on another gun. There isn't supposed to be a difference between the two except for pull weight. I would go for the special just because I have had better luck with them in the real world. I prefer the straight trigger, but that is purely preference.

Id get one without the bolt release. I know on paper the difference between the primary, special, and diamond is pull weight but in my experience creep and overtravel were present on the Special where they were not present on my Diamonds. I eventually sold my special and bought a diamond.
    Buy once, cry once. The diamond is totally worth the extra money imo.

Reactions: WtxMSCL8188

Not to muddy the waters, but the Bix n Andy Dakota trigger is a good option as well. It has similar mechanics within the trigger itself and goes down to 1lb. While I am a TT fan myself, the Dakota is another reputable offering in the $200 range in case you find one on sale.

If you do decide to just go all out and buy a diamond, you won't regret it. The only potential problem is that the diamonds don't always work on an actual Remington 700 due to tolerances (I think it says this on the box even) if you ever switch it over to another rifle. However, Zermatt does tune their actions for the TT, and the primary, special, or diamond will work great in your Origin.

Buy once, cry once. The diamond is totally worth the extra money imo.

Really comes down to personal preference. After trying a Diamond and a Special, I bought a special because I'd never adjust below what the special does on pull weight.

Really comes down to personal preference. After trying a Diamond and a Special, I bought a special because I'd never adjust below what the special does on pull weight.
    I agree. I prefer the diamond because I shoot them mostly in competition where the lower pull weight and slightly smoother pull are a plus. If you want to stay above 1.5lb, the extra money saved on the special could equate to a lot more ammo and range time. Either trigger is a solid choice at the end of the day.

The last trigger I had an a custom was a Timney 510; I totally forgot to ask how they compare to the TT?

Also, what is the benefit of having a super light, say below, 2 lb trigger pull? I seem to recall stories of triggers so light they didn’t pass a drop test?

The last trigger I had an a custom was a Timney 510; I totally forgot to ask how they compare to the TT?

Also, what is the benefit of having a super light, say below, 2 lb trigger pull? I seem to recall stories of triggers so light they didn’t pass a drop test?
    The TT are supposed to be safe even if dropped at any of the weights within their range. I messed with my diamond and couldn't make it fail even at the lightest possible setting. At a match last year, we had a lot of mud and freezing rain. Several guys had NDs (probably user error due to cold finders) and a bunch had triggers freeze up with mud. I don't recall seeing any TT fail which was reassuring. Also, the TT are the easiest to adjust trigger that I have ever used.

As to weight, it isn't much more than that: the force needed to make the trigger break. There are a lot of factors that go into perceived trigger pull, so a good trigger can feel lighter without being super light. To me, the TT triggers all feel great, but other people don't necessarily agree. Its just a preference thing to some degree. I shoot my comp gun at 14oz and it feels good to me. I wouldn't go light just to go light however. My hunting guns are all at 3lb because my hands might be cold, or I might not have as good of trigger control when hunting.