• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Triggertech Special 2-Stage Won’t Decock

AMwood

Private
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2018
Boise, Idaho
Received a TT Special 2 Stage from my wife for Christmas and installed it on a Bergara B14 BMP (early gen w/the barrel nut if it matters). Installation was straightforward and passed all of the safety checks including drop tests. I have not adjusted it from the factory poundage yet but I’m unable to decock the rifle reliably by holding the trigger to the rear and closing the bolt on an empty chamber. Sometimes it decocks just fine, other times it cocks and functions as if I hadn’t held the trigger to the rear. The one that makes me nervous is every so often it will release the sear and firing pin when I drop the bolt as if I were pulling the trigger, similar to a hammer follow ND.

I’ve read about Bergara’s having a heavy firing pin spring and leading to higher than advertised pull weight but nothing like this. Anyone have a similar experience/fix? Waiting to hear back from TT still.

Thanks in advance!

Why would you decock it like that? Why would you drop the firing pin at all unless dry firing?

I always have and always will.

Contact tt and tell them the situation, they’ll get it fixed. If it doesn’t drop the seat and let it ride over then it’s not working right.

Reactions: AMwood
I always have and always will.

Contact tt and tell them the situation, they’ll get it fixed. If it doesn’t drop the seat and let it ride over then it’s not working right.
Interesting. What’s the reasoning?

Why would you decock it like that? Why would you drop the firing pin at all unless dry firing?
Can’t tell if you’re serious or looking to stir the pot but I’ll bite. I do it when packing up my rifle or storing it, always on an empty chamber and in a safe direction. Prevents storing it with a load on the firing pin spring.

Firearms are inherently dangerous but cocking one and dropping the hammer/firing pin seems more risky especially when packing up and things can be overlooked vs. decocking similar to how one would decock a pistol.

Reactions: FuhQ
Can’t tell if you’re serious or looking to stir the pot but I’ll bite. I do it when packing up my rifle or storing it, always on an empty chamber and in a safe direction. Prevents storing it with a load on the firing pin spring.

Firearms are inherently dangerous but cocking one and dropping the hammer/firing pin seems more risky especially when packing up and things can be overlooked vs. decocking similar to how one would decock a pistol.
I’m being serious as I didn't know it was a thing . It’s fine that you decock your guns If you like but it’s completely unnecessary. Doesn’t hurt a thing to be under a load for decades on end.

Yet guns need springs replaced all the time after being stored cocked.

I trust personal experience and good practice over internet “experts” who are fine with malfunction equipment because “it doesn’t hurt”

• Haha
Reactions: FuhQ and wade2big
What orientation are you holding the rifle in when attempting this? Might be issues if you aren’t holding it in standard firing position when you pull the trigger, but I haven’t tested it personally.

What orientation are you holding the rifle in when attempting this? Might be issues if you aren’t holding it in standard firing position when you pull the trigger, but I haven’t tested it personally.
Honestly, I was sitting on the couch this morning when I realized it might be an issue. So holding basically parallel to the ground. I also couldn’t seem to replicate it reliably (decocking or failing to decock).

My mind also went this way but it seems odd for a design to be dependent on something like this given the many angles and positions you might find yourself in while hunting or competing.

Yet guns need springs replaced all the time after being stored cocked.

I trust personal experience and good practice over internet “experts” who are fine with malfunction equipment because “it doesn’t hurt”
Agreed and even if it’s not a spring it still puts a load on various other components or surfaces. Whether it matters or not I don’t know. I’m not going to take the time or effort to empirically test a sample of 1 anyways. Still feels better to store decocked.

Doesn’t seem like this is a common thing so I’ll defer to TT when they get back to me. Thanks for everyone’s input.

I had a 2 stage TT with almost identical issue. Even got it on video (I'll attempt to look for it, but holidays, May take a bit).

TT denied any problem, said it was an install error. Only occured after 400 ish rounds.

Try this. Only close the bolt 1/4 or half way, THEN press trigger to see if you can get it to drop.
Along with one of the warranty return triggers, I don't use trigger tech anymore. I still sell them, but won't use them.

A browning bar was stored for 20 years always empty but cocked and only shot during hunting season a few times, it started failing to fire. New spring and it was back to firing.
That’s my personal experience, all the old timers speak of similar issues though. Maybe it’s just old guns with poor metals but to say it doesn’t ever happen would be incorrect. Materials under stress will deform with time.

A decocked firing pin spring is always under tension. Only way to truly "destress" it is to completely remove it and let it sit on a table.

Yes it's more under tension when cocked, but even fired in the gun, it's still under tension.

I take the batteries out of all my devices when not in use. I don’t want the battery tension spring to wear out. It’s just something I do. Always have and always will. I don’t want no lip from internet experts telling me otherwise ;).

I also have a car hoist in my shed. When I'm not driving it, I jack it up to take the weight off the suspension. Can never be too careful. Might save someone's life.

The point of the question was around whether the TT was defective or something else was going on with it but now that we’re here. I’m glad the topic of springs has been thoroughly vetted by internet experts that claim to not care for internet experts **this is sarcasm by the way I could care less about the tangents or who provided them😉**. Appreciate the input from everyone.

The point of the question was around whether the TT was defective or something else was going on with it but now that we’re here. I’m glad the topic of springs has been thoroughly vetted by internet experts that claim to not care for internet experts **this is sarcasm by the way I could care less about the tangents or who provided them😉**. Appreciate the input from everyone.
Let us know what TT says about it when you hear back. 👍🏿

I had a 2 stage TT with almost identical issue. Even got it on video (I'll attempt to look for it, but holidays, May take a bit).

TT denied any problem, said it was an install error. Only occured after 400 ish rounds.

Try this. Only close the bolt 1/4 or half way, THEN press trigger to see if you can get it to drop.
Along with one of the warranty return triggers, I don't use trigger tech anymore. I still sell them, but won't use them.
The scattered info I’ve found said different geometries and spring weights can mess with the intended design of the TT but I was hoping I would be able to avoid that with this one. It is a nice trigger, just don’t want a bang when I wasn’t looking for one.

Anyways that’s enough internet for me today. I’ll respond when I hear something from TT.

Reactions: iceng
How else do you de-cock a bolt-action rifle without dry-firing it? That's the only way. You drop the firing pin and release the spring tension off of it, so it doesn't prematurely wear the firing pin spring, causing light primer strikes and a host of other issues.

• Haha
Reactions: wade2big
How else do you de-cock a bolt-action rifle without dry-firing it? That's the only way. You drop the firing pin and release the spring tension off of it, so it doesn't prematurely wear the firing pin spring, causing light primer strikes and a host of other issues.
Why not just dry fire it? The majority of modern rifles are safe to dry fire and dry fire practice is recommended, just check you chamber, dry fire and put it away. The only reason I would de-cock a rifle I the manner listed above would be if the manufacturer recommended that method. Bolt action rifles are not pistols. Also, everything I have read on the topic says springs wear out by being cycled, not by being stored compressed. Same reason magazines can be safely stored loaded. If that is inaccurate I would love to know as I have a bunch of mags waiting for a party that I may have to unload if that is not the case.

Reactions: 92trk
UPDATE:

Never heard back from TT via it’s Contact Us form and didn’t have time to call during the holidays or after getting back to work. I continued to play with the trigger and found that it will reliably decock once you start to cam the bolt over and put tension on the firing pin. Don’t continue to rotate the bolt without hearing the sear release otherwise I have had it cock and release unpredictably.

Maybe it’s a Bergara thing, or a Triggertech thing, or some combination, or maybe it’s normal but hopefully this helps someone else if they encounter something similar. Just didn’t want to be the guy dry firing behind the firing line when I’m putting things away at the range and getting awkward looks.

Glad it worked out. Also give That a bit of time, as it is Christmas/New year's, I'm positive they will do the right thing for you.

Thanks, same here. I’m not too worried about the lack of response. Email forms are generally a lower priority for most companies, which this fits that criteria. Figured there was knowledge to be had from the masses here and there was. 👍🏼

Reactions: iceng