• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Trijicon 1-8x VCOG Reticle Issues?

Kraquin

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2018
Just received the subject scope NIB and wanted to share a few observations with the folks here.

If I crank it to 8x and turn on the illumination at any brightness level the bottom right circle segment has an aberration in it. It's like if you stuck your finger on a smoothly frosted cake. The segment is all red but it's just not consistent in that spot. If I crank it down to about 4x the aberration goes away but then I imagine that would be expected as the segment is squeezed so to speak. If I turn the illumination off all four segments are perfectly black. The thing is if using illumination your eye is inherently drawn to it.

I also got the scope out around twilight to check how well it does in low light. Works well. Through the lens is noticeably brighter than the naked eye. If I turn on the illumination it looks like, for lack of a better description, bleed-through on some of the numbers. I can see little red bright spots where I imagine the numbers should have been completely filled with black. In the photo you can see it well on the "20". I have other pics that show it on the other numbers. I tested it at illumination levels 8 and 4 and the spots appear regardless of the level.

Is this tolerable with this technology? I would think for the price of this scope it would be better or maybe I got one that slipped past QA.

Any opinions much appreciated.
20210302_080451 (2).jpg

Just received the subject scope NIB and wanted to share a few observations with the folks here.

If I crank it to 8x and turn on the illumination at any brightness level the bottom right circle segment has an aberration in it. It's like if you stuck your finger on a smoothly frosted cake. The segment is all red but it's just not consistent in that spot. If I crank it down to about 4x the aberration goes away but then I imagine that would be expected as the segment is squeezed so to speak. If I turn the illumination off all four segments are perfectly black. The thing is if using illumination your eye is inherently drawn to it.

I also got the scope out around twilight to check how well it does in low light. Works well. Through the lens is noticeably brighter than the naked eye. If I turn on the illumination it looks like, for lack of a better description, bleed-through on some of the numbers. I can see little red bright spots where I imagine the numbers should have been completely filled with black. In the photo you can see it well on the "20". I have other pics that show it on the other numbers. I tested it at illumination levels 8 and 4 and the spots appear regardless of the level.

Is this tolerable with this technology? I would think for the price of this scope it would be better or maybe I got one that slipped past QA.

Any opinions much appreciated.View attachment 7570819
If it was just the bleed through on the bottom number 20 I would be okay with it because you're not going to see that during the day and you're probably not going to run it that bright at night. But considering that it's not a cheap scope I would have them take a look at it because the aberration is clearly there and it should be uniform on the quarter circle. You have to be happy with what you pay for. I would send it in.

You're right. After looking again, I don't see the bleed through in daylight. The aberration catches my eye every time though so it needs to be fixed or swapped for one that is clean. Thanks

Reactions: TacticalPlinker