• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes trijicon accupoint concern

jeff1383

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2012
Frisco, TX
currently running a trijicon 5-20x50 mildot and debating if its worth upgrading to a NF mildot reticle.Shooting .264lbc at 100-500 yard distances and eventually to 800-1000.Any major advantages in running this optic over my current? Any advise would be appreciated

Re: trijicon accupoint concern

My Accupoint 5-20x50 I had to send of to Trijicon for repair. The windage froze up on it. Trijicon took good care of me fixed the scope no questions asked and its worked fine since then. They have nice glass. The Zero Stop function on the NF would be nice for you when you get out to the longer ranges and to dial back to your zero without issues. Also I dont know what other kind of shooting you may be doing but a lit reticle is allways a nice thing to have so you can track as to the Trijicon, you will only see the dot when its dark out. NF will allways hold resale value and will hold up to just about anything . My .02

Do you think I will be able to dial out to 1000 with this scope in a LT158 larue mount shooting 6.5 123amax hornady?

You need to know your velocity and run the numbers through JBM.

The Trij 5-20 only has what 50 MOA? You can get a 20 or 30 MOA base if you need more elevation or just use the dots as holdovers.

BTW what power do these range at?

If memory serves me correct 10 power since its SFP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You need to know your velocity and run the numbers through JBM.

The Trij 5-20 only has what 50 MOA? You can get a 20 or 30 MOA base if you need more elevation or just use the dots as holdovers.

BTW what power do these range at? </div></div>
Scope does have 50moa and the mount allows 10 more..can I find the velocities on hornady website? And what are you referring to when you say JBM?

In my opinion, a scope with such limited travel is a poor choice for that round and usage. The .264/6.5G really can be quite accurate to 1000 and beyond and is much fun to shoot at such distances, but it does it with a seriously rainbow-esque trajectory. My dope for 1100 yds is 46 MOA, even at 5000 ft elevation.

Of course that will vary depending upon your load, barrel length, etc, but in general this round takes a lot of elevation from a scope and using one without much available really increases the chances it will become a limiting factor at some point.

In short, I do feel upgrading to a NF or 5-20SS would make you happier in the long run.

EDIT: I misread--I didn't realize you already have the Trijicon, I thought you were contemplating buying one. While there's no reason not to run it now, I do think you'd enjoy an upgrade in the future when you begin shooting long distances.

Mfg specified velocity may be available but that is specific to the rifle they used and not yours. You need to find a buddy with a chronograph or find data on a similar set up (Same barrel, twist, length etc)

Take the velocity and other info and go here http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

What you will end up with is a drop chart for your load. For example if the calculator says your load will have 40 moa drop at 1K you "should" have enough adjustment to get there if your zero was at the bottom of the elevation. Whatever the MFG stated adjustment is factor that is half of the available elevation from a centered erector. Canted bases allow you to use more of the downward ajustment for a zero to allow more upward adjustment when needed for longer ranges...make sense? I may be doing more harm with my explination lol.

Going to try and find some data and find out how much elevation I have left. Hopefully I'll be good with my zero @ 200 yards. If not...what retical to you guys rec for NF 6.5-22? Based on Jon A's comment there might be a strong possibility than the scope currently won't be enough. I will def find out for sure using the provided link above with my findings

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeff1383</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...what retical to you guys rec for NF 6.5-22?</div></div>

If staying mil, 90% of people will say MLR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not always true just because its SFP. Leupold 6.5-20 and NF 5-22 range at max power.

</div></div>

I do agree they vary the Vortex PST 4-16 SFP for instance it also only accurately ranges at full 16 X without any extra calculation steps so to speak by adding the little number in on the power/magnification ring. But I believe since I at one point owned one it was only accurate as per Trijicon at 10 X.
smile.gif