• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trijicon MRO, EOTECH or Aimpoint for PCC USPSA and Steel Challenge?

stefan73

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 6, 2006
    CENLA
    I am looking at optics for my next USPSA PCC. I have been debating between trijicon, eotech and aimpoint. I have used aimpoint comp and Holosun 510C-GR. I like the 510C-GR but it sucks if you get water on the emitter.

I like the circle and dot so, still trying to figure out what seems to work best, especially in Louisiana bright sun and rain.

The EoTech is a good option for a circle-dot reticle if you're willing to stay on top of keeping fresh batteries in it (it'll eat them). Should be plenty bright, I've run an XPS-1 (single 1-moa dot reticle) that got freaking nuclear bright. I've found that my eyes don't like holographic sights as much as normal emitter-type dots though (YMMV).

The MRO HD is ok (avoid the original MRO's at all costs, total garbage), if you get one just make sure to completely check it out before you mount it up and shoot it because a lot of them have issues right out of the box, like seeing a "ghost square" in the glass, etc (while others are fine).

Honestly though, for a game gun (and arguably more serious things too, but not a popular opinion) a Holosun is just fine, and I'd recommend the HS503R if you want the circle-dot.

The Holosuns with the rheostat dials are the brightest they make, brighter than their push-button ones. I have a couple of HS403R's that are just as bright as an Aimpoint T-2. The HS403R is very much a "poor man's T-2"... or maybe "frugal man's T-2", since I won't be buying any more $800 Aimpoints unless I'm sure bad guys will be shooting back lol.

The FOV/window-size nonsense you hear surrounding all these optics is a joke... window-size does not matter, keep both eyes open (like one is supposed to) and the FOV is the same with all of them.

Reactions: stefan73
    I have a vortex venom on mine, works pretty well, also looked at the delta point and the vortex razor

The auto dimming and top load battery are nice, razor seemed good too I just couldn’t tell enough of a difference between it and the venom

I have a vortex venom on mine, works pretty well, also looked at the delta point and the vortex razor

The auto dimming and top load battery are nice, razor seemed good too I just couldn’t tell enough of a difference between it and the venom

Those are cool too, but I think the OP is after an enclosed emitter.

I actually ran an SRO on my PCC for a while because that's what I run on my CO gun and prefer the larger dot (5moa), until, rain...

After a couple of drops of rain ruined a couple of matches, I made the switch to an enclosed-emitter type.

Those are cool too, but I think the OP is after an enclosed emitter.

I actually ran an SRO on my PCC for a while because that's what I run on my CO gun and prefer the larger dot (5moa), until, rain...

After a couple of drops of rain ruined a couple of matches, I made the switch to an enclosed-emitter type.
    Shooting down here in Louisiana rain is not uncommon.

Thanks for the information. I like the Holosun 510C but I want a closed emitter for adverse weather conditions. I recently had an issue when I went to practice at a range I found my Holosun was shooting to the right and low. I am not sure how it might have gotten knocked off but it concerns me! If I would have gone to a match with my sight off like that I would have been extremely frustrated.

Last edited:
    Reactions: CK1.0
    I know it’s not on your list, and it’s just a dot, but I run a C- more on mine and it works really well. I understand your needs and the reason behind them, just don’t overlook a simple answer.

I know it’s not on your list, and it’s just a dot, but I run a C- more on mine and it works really well. I understand your needs and the reason behind them, just don’t overlook a simple answer.

Lots of folks on the enos forum run those, might I ask the appeal? Seems lots of body for the size of the window

I know you didn't mention this as a possibility, but have you considered the Primary Arms Micro Prism with the ACSS Gemini reticle for 9mm? I bring this up because the ACSS reticle is somewhat similar to the circle / dot that you like.

I am looking at optics for my next USPSA PCC. I have been debating between trijicon, eotech and aimpoint. I have used aimpoint comp and Holosun 510C-GR. I like the 510C-GR but it sucks if you get water on the emitter.

I like the circle and dot so, still trying to figure out what seems to work best, especially in Louisiana bright sun and rain.
    Sounds like you've been happy with the holosun. They also make enclosed large window red dots like the 512c, 530, and AEMS.

I've heard a lot of bad things about the MRO. I also shot my buddies once and it was definitely the worst red dot I've used, it was like a bad lpvo. I've heard they had issues in the early versions tho so that's probably what I shot but it was enough to scare me away from every considering buying one.

Lots of folks on the enos forum run those, might I ask the appeal? Seems lots of body for the size of the window
    between 2 open guns and 2 pcc, i have four of the 6 moa c-more slide rides. on the open guns (handguns) i have them turned/rotated 90 degrees to get the dot very low to the bore, a lot easier to pick up the dot esp in weird positions. the dots don't seem to be as fine/precise but they also don't seem to float around as much as the newer ones. imo very quick sight/target acquisition. never had one break (of course they're frame/receiver-mounted) but have had a vortex viper or two and most recently a sro break (both slide mounted). also the c-mores are def easier to turn off and on and adjust brightness then the newer options with buttons.
    pcc's.jpg

Last edited:
    between 2 open guns and 2 pcc, i have four of the 6 moa c-more slide rides. on the open guns (handguns) i have them turned/rotated 90 degrees to get the dot very low to the bore, a lot easier to pick up the dot esp in weird positions. the dots don't seem to be as fine/precise but they also don't seem to float around as much as the newer ones. imo very quick sight/target acquisition. never had one break (of course they're frame/receiver-mounted) but have had a vortex viper or two and most recently a sro break (both slide mounted). also the c-mores are def easier to turn off and on and adjust brightness then the newer options with buttons.View attachment 7979130

Hmm might have to try one on my KP9

they have the circle and dot too?

Was also interested in these, they apparently mad the jpoint which I have on my JP

Shooting down here in Louisiana rain is not uncommon.

Thanks for the information. I like the Holosun 510C but I want a closed emitter for adverse weather conditions. I recently had an issue when I went to practice at a range I found my Holosun was shooting to the right and low. I am not sure how it might have gotten knocked off but it concerns me! If I would have gone to a match with my sight off like that I would have been extremely frustrated.

If you like the 510C than the 512 is the same thing just enclosed. I still prefer the Aimpoint-style ones with the dial though. The dial makes them foolproof so you don't start a stage by accident with your setting being messed up, and they're a tad brighter. Plus, I like the round window... I used to use the circle-dot reticles too for a while but found later that I'm faster and more accurate with just a single-dot (but I do kind of think the round window creates a somewhat similar fast-acquisition effect for me, which is why I think I also like the SRO's).

I've never had a problem with a Holosun holding zero or any issues at all other than I once got a 510C that had the "ghost square" issue the MRO HD's get (I just sent it back and exchanged it for a different one which was fine). That said, I've heard a few peeps more recently mention that the more recent ones are spotty QC-wise more so than they were when they first hit the market years back.

On the bright side, for a game gun, the Holoson's are cheap enough that buying a backup for "just in case" isn't as painful as usual.

If you like the 510C than the 512 is the same thing just enclosed. I still prefer the Aimpoint-style ones with the dial though. The dial makes them foolproof so you don't start a stage by accident with your setting being messed up, and they're a tad brighter. Plus, I like the round window... I used to use the circle-dot reticles too for a while but found later that I'm faster and more accurate with just a single-dot (but I do kind of think the round window creates a somewhat similar fast-acquisition effect for me, which is why I think I also like the SRO's).

I've never had a problem with a Holosun holding zero or any issues at all other than I once got a 510C that had the "ghost square" issue the MRO HD's get (I just sent it back and exchanged it for a different one which was fine). That said, I've heard a few peeps more recently mention that the more recent ones are spotty QC-wise more so than they were when they first hit the market years back.

On the bright side, for a game gun, the Holoson's are cheap enough that buying a backup for "just in case" isn't as painful as usual.
    I am thinking about trying an EOTECH EXPS2-0 or 3-0 and a C-more and swap them out and see which ones I like better.
    Where is a good source for Cmore's?

I really like the simplicity of the C-More. Simple on and off. I also have a couple Holosuns On ARs and an SRO on a carry optics pistol. I prefer a simple dot verses the circle dot, but that’s just a personal choice. I find that I’m sloppy with the larger circle, and a simple dot helps me be more accurate. The body is slightly larger, but it’s longer, not bulkier, and just goes along the rail. It does not look as robust as some other units, but it has held up well to lots of uspsa matches. I am not intentionally abusive to my gear, but I will run it hard and occasionally it gets banged on a wall or prop, and it has always held zero for me (Knock on wood). Like I said, it is different from what you asked about, but it has worked surprisingly well for me.

I like the circle dot but might try just running a dot. I might try a C-more and also try a EXPS. Whatever is not my favorite I can always put onto another firearm.

Reactions: 502Chevelle