• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Trijicon MRO + Shotgun + waterfowling

Tx_Flyboy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2011
Houston, Tx
Just like the thread says...has anyone done his or even installed one to shoot clays?

I have a spare MRO & thinking of this combo for hunt early next year.

Is the 2MOA reticle a hindrance?

I seriously doubt the idea works except on the easiest of shots. In which case, why use one at all?

Being a proficient wingshooter is the hardest shooting skill to achieve and maintain. A lot of people either settle for mediocrity or look for a gimmick.

Agree. Successful wing or clay shooting is knowing where to insert the barrel on the target trajectory. Things that distract your eyes from focusing on the target are a very bad thing. This includes the barrel itself, any sights or beads.

My Uncle, who is an avid upland bird hunter has used one of the Burris Fastfires on a Remington 11/96 for the last few years, and he really likes it. He is 73 and the eyes aren't what they used to be. Never tried it myself, my MRO resides on a PS90.

Thanks 101st.

Burris fast fires have been used for waterfowl going on a decade now, and I’ve used a scope for Turkey...the concept is not preposterous, was just wondering if the tubular shape would be difficult to transition into vs an rmr/eotech type.

I think the red dot will force better conformance to fundamentals...sight alignment, sight picture, and consistent lead on target...if the tunnel vision thing isn’t too difficult.

I’m surprised at the “bah Hamburg” responses...technology marches forward & everyone eventually adapts or dies.

IIRC, my Uncle told me it did take some getting used to, and I can kinda relate. I tried an RMR on a pistol, and absolutely hated it, I had a very difficult time picking the dot up. However, it does work wonderfully for hunting those damn armadillos in the yard at night.............I'm just still not used to it. Its hard to just ditch 3 decades of iron sights.

Reactions: Tx_Flyboy
Sight it in for how you’re gun patterns With the loads you’re going to use. It’s just another way to aim.

Any mention of aiming when talking about wingshooting is a sure sign that you don't know how to shoot.

It has nothing to do with technology marching forward.

Sh
Any mention of aiming when talking about wingshooting is a sure sign that you don't know how to shoot.

It has nothing to do with technology marching forward.
shot thousands of birds. Aimed gun each time .

Let's shoot a sporting clays tournament. A real one, not some charity shoot. I'll take your money.
I have seen the most unsafe gun handling come out of the clay shooting community. I would compare it to going to a public range with billy teaching his sister wife to shoot a pistol . Never have I ever observed such bad trigger discipline. I have never observed such a waspy d-bag old money type environment either . Everyone shows up with their new girlfriends 30 years younger then them and talks about all the money and bullshit they have. I believe guns are for killing things to eat and to stop other things from doing evil. These clay shooters would be raped in the streets by any tweak or crack smoker . They also wouldn’t kill any game birds if not paying big money to be guided . This making any of the skill they have achieved to shoot a piece of clay invaluable to me. Some cool gals and guys shoot clay, but for the most part I would rather not go to any of that shit . As to aiming would you’re frontal loab prefer the word lead? I’m done now

I tried using an Aimpoint micro on a shotgun for a season of clay shooting a few years ago, and I can tell you that it is pretty much a waste.
As you know, in clay and wing shooting you are shooting at something that is not there yet, so to speak. And therefor are optics just a bad idea on a shotgun, unless you are shooting slugs at stationary targets. Then it becomes pretty much a smoothbore rifle so its a different game.
Anyhow, when you shoot a shotgun you focus on the target, point the gun in the same direction and shoot. When you have any kind of optic sight on a weapon you are supposed to focus on the reticle (dot) and move it to the target and shoot. Its very detrimental on moving targets and pretty soon you stop looking for the dot alltogether. I could probably shoot the same scores with the dot turned off as I could with it turned on, so that alone tells you something.

First I'll say I'm not a spectacular wing shooter. I've been bird hunting as much as possible every year for the last 20 years or so. I have only done skeet shooting a handful of times and I usually hit 16-18 out of 25. I really don't practice, I only shoot at living things with a shotgun as God intended. Not trying to be a d-bag shotgunner (Can't stand most of those types at the range.) I put a Burris FF on my shotgun a few years back and it has had no effect on my shooting. I'm still an average shooter. I will say that putting a red dot on my handgun improved my times significantly, which is why I tried it on the shotgun, but there's a big difference. The dot lines up spot on with the fiber optic bead on my gun if my head is like it should be, so it really shouldn't have much effect. Where I think it can help is when I CAN'T get in a good shooting position, such as twisting around in a duck blind, laying on un-even ground, etc. You get in some strange positions that skeet shooters never have to deal with. Even if my head isn't just right, that dot is within view and I know where my shot will go.

I have the FF mount that puts a spacer in the tang area between the receiver and the butt stock, which allows the sight to sit very low. I tried mounting the sight to a pic rail on the shotgun and it wasn't worth a damn. Way too high to comfortably shoot. I think you'll run into this with the MRO.

-Dan

I shoot geese and sporting clays and I know when I miss it’s most likely I aimed and stopped swinging the gun. If you mount a dot or not you will still have to overcome this tendency which takes practice. The first and biggest step you can take with wing shooting is getting a gun that points where you’re looking