• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Trijicon Reap vs Halo

mrjoed2

Private
Minuteman
May 15, 2018
As I continue to be stuck between the Reap 35mm & the Halo 25mm- it just occurred to me to ask about the real world difference between the lens size. Certianlly quite a difference.
I know the REAP has a higher base magnification. but doesn't the larger lens give the REAP a range & FOV advaange over the Halo?

Yup that would do it. Of course not much air travel with the Virus.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the 35 was the only one that was head mountable(?). I.E. It came with the wilcox dovetail.

I could be wrong, as the whole "gen 1" versus "gen 2" thing still hurts my head (battery box migration).

Maybe @wigwamitus could explain it better(?).

As I continue to be stuck between the Reap 35mm & the Halo 25mm- it just occurred to me to ask about the real world difference between the lens size. Certianlly quite a difference.
I know the REAP has a higher base magnification. but doesn't the larger lens give the REAP a range & FOV advaange over the Halo?
Ok, here is the quick and dirty on the specs. So the Reap 35 mm has native magnification of 2.5x at (FOV 12 FOV Degree's) and the Halo 25 mm has native magnification of 1.75 x at (FOV 18 x 14 Degree's).

So when you do the calculation the Reap 35 mm has 962.11 Sq mm of Germanium working and the Halo 25 mm has 471.44 Sq mm of Germanium working. So the Reap has 104% more Germanium Working. So all other factors being the same. The Reap should Detect and PID further out than the Halo 25 mm.

Additionally the FOV advantage (Larger FOV) however goes to the Halo.

But this is like comparing apples to oranges because they are different sized lens which is a significant factor when comparing Thermal Devices.

I personally like a narrower FOV with higher native magnification for my rifle shooting solution. However, that is not necessarily everyone's cup of tea, especially if they have trouble finding and getting on targets quickly.

All that being said, I would likely go down a notch on my preference for higher magnification between these 2 devices and choose the Halo 25 mm because when you 2x it digitally you will be at 3.5 x digitally at 320 x 240 which is still a pretty nice mid range distance solution. Plus it is lower priced, has a better battery setup and I believe a better dealer support at this point in time.

However, you need to choose which one suits your situation best.

Thanks John, that helps me out. Wondering if you have heard of the Surefire rechargeable 123's.? Your contact had mentioned them to me when we spoke.
Apprantly as they run at 3.2V, Trijicon says they are good to go in the Reap. That would even out the battery issue.

Thanks John, that helps me out. Wondering if you have heard of the Surefire rechargeable 123's.? Your contact had mentioned them to me when we spoke.
Apprantly as they run at 3.2V, Trijicon says they are good to go in the Reap. That would even out the battery issue.
What you seek, Tenergy used to make. In both a 900 mAh and 600 mAh version. I have both and used them in COTI's for a long time.

Amazon used to sell them as well. But I just checked all of the known places I have gotten them from before and looks like they have become unobtainium.

However, in all honesty they were a pretty marginal battery in my opinion. They were really good about being at the right voltage. Max 3.5 off the charger which settled down to 3 Volts pretty quick. Regular RCR 3.7 V rechargeables come off the charger at 4.2 volts, so a little too hot for a COTI. At least that's what the little fella in my head kept telling me.

I found that over time and usage/recharging that those batteries appeared to vent of some "juice" that kind of made my spine tingle if you know what I mean. Especially putting them in an expensive device.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Tenergy RCR123A / 16340 900mAh 3.0V Protected Lithium Ion (Li-ion) Button Top Battery

If you are between the Reap IR35 and the Halo 25, you are missing the boat! The Reap 35 costs $7399 at OP. the Halo-LR is $7695 and is a 50mm objective with, in my opinion, better germanium.

Shortest run I’ve had on the LR is 4 hours with new energizer 123. That was working it hard- on offs, nuc, zoom- working it.

4 hrs is pretty good. On/offs? How much on how much off lol. How long can it stay on for?

I usually turn the thermal off after not seeing anything and returning to night vision, then back on after a bit to scout long range. I’ve never left one on for hours upon hours.