• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Trijicon RMR dot size type??

Ackley Improved

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2006
AUSTRALIA
Looking to purchase a RMR, but not sure on which dot to use. The intended purpose is on a boltgun as a backup/close quarters sight.

I like the triangle on the dual illuminate RM08 but at 12.9moa it sounds to big. Anyone have one of these? For a fine aiming point to say 100yards, is the triangle going to cut it? Can the point of the triangle be used for finer aiming? Is the triangle sharp at the edges to allow this? Been searching for pictures but cant find anything!!

My other choice is the adjustable LED RMR with the 3.25moa dot.

Any help would be appreciated.

How you guys finding the RMR's anyway? Pretty happy with them?

Cheers

Re: Trijicon RMR dot size type??

I had the LED-only RMR.

My preference went to the other mini red dot I had, made by Insight.

It was okay, but in comparison to the Insight, it would get placed on the shelf more often.

Also I consider a 3 moa dot to be too small when it's intention is to be a back up optic. A back up optic, IMHO, needs to be big enough to grab your attention immediately.

12.9 is a bit big. I'd go with the 6.5 or 8 MOA. Big enough to pick up quickly without being stupid big.

I'm running a 6.5MOA RMR on my G17.

Up real close center the target in the "TV screen O' death" is good enough even if you can't find the dot.

Add another to the mix then. If the consensus is that the 12.9moa triangle is to large for my purpose on a boltgun, how do these two choices stack up?

RMR Adjustable LED 3.25moa dot, or
RMR dual illumination 7moa dot.

I really like the idea with no battery on the dual illumination, but again is this 7moa dot going to be to large for my use?

Example of use would be pigs on the move in denser vegetation. This is on a boltgun, not a handgun or a semi auto.

I may need to go to the LED version for smaller dot!

Are the dots sharp at the edges?

Cheers

Definitely the dual-illum with the 7moa dot.

In a proper pistol firing stance you WILL have an easier time seeing a 7moa dot vs. a 3.5moa dot. Yes I know you said bolt-gun.

Take my word for it. The RMR I had was a 3.5, and the Insight was a 7.