• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trim Length for .308 with Giraud Trimmer

repiv

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2010
The Colony Texas
www.dallasmicro.com
I have searched for this with the search tool and didnt really find much about trim length. Plenty of info about the Giraud Trimmer and how to set it up but not much discussion about the length to trim brass.

So the question is this. If you use a Giraud Trimmer for .308 What length do you trim to? and WHY?

Thanks

Re: Trim Length for .308 with Giraud Trimmer

The case that came with my Giraud .308 cutter/shell holder is set at 1.98.

Haven't used it yet.

Just out of curiosity, why would you trim shorter than the standard 2.005"? Not trying to be a smart-ass, just wondering...

I dont think he was saying he was going to cut his brass to 1.98, just that his test piece came that way. My test piece came 1.993. I doubt I will cut that short unless someone can tell me a really good reason to.

i would get a chamber length gauge and see how long your chamber is.

my chamber is 2.04 so im not trimming until i get to 2.035

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: justinbaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i would get a chamber length gauge and see how long your chamber is.

my chamber is 2.04 so im not trimming until i get to 2.035 </div></div>

This.

The generic answer is " shorter than your chamber".

I know chambers vary and that it needs to be shorter than your chamber. I was hoping to get an opinion as to why someone would trim short or leave it close to chamber max.

Example: short because less drag on the bullet

Another example: I like it longer because it holds the bullet straighter.

I trim by the Speer Reloading manual #14,max 2.015 min.2.005.Some may trim different but I go by the reloading hand book. Good reloading.
smile.gif

I too have a Giraud Trimmer and I set mine to the book answer which is 2.005 +/- .003 to stay in good standing with the rifles. I have lots of 308's so I keep the semi brass from the bolts but that is about it. I full length re-size all my brass.

How many firings do you typically get before you have to trimm?

I shoot,clean,size and trim every time with all my brass. That's why I bought the Giraud trimmer.I size to 2.008 and all loads are the same brass length.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: josie6637</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many firings do you typically get before you have to trimm? </div></div>
This is your answer.....
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: macm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I shoot,clean,size and trim every time with all my brass. That's why I bought the Giraud trimmer.</div></div>
Even if they are under your "trim to length", the idea is to have them all the same length so you get consistant bullet release. It would be nice if they would all be EXACTLY the same length but I find a difference of 0.0015" to be acceptable. The Giraurd spaces off of the shoulder so if you have some non fire formed brass, you will get a different trim to length.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: macm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I shoot,clean,size and trim every time with all my brass. That's why I bought the Giraud trimmer.I size to 2.008 and all loads are the same brass length.</div></div>

This is the sort of info I was looking for. Just curious why did you pick 2.008 for the length?

when i set mine up, i did the length in between the min and max case lengths to accommodate variations in the brass. it has worked very well so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Giraurd spaces off of the shoulder so if you have some non fire formed brass, you will get a different trim to length.</div></div>

Agreed. I've found that different headstamps, even if full length sized, can result in slightly different trim lengths due to the fact that the Giraud and Gracey trimmers both headspace off of the shoulder. Try to use brass from the same lot prepared in the same fashion for the best consistency.

Something someone else here on the 'Hide turned me on to a while back... get some Skip Otto die shims from Sinclair Int'l and use a clamping lock ring (Hornady w/ the wrench flats works great). You can then use the shims to adjust the trim length in very fine discrete increments - extremely handy when you need to compensate for different headspace dimensions between chambers but still want your case OAL to come out the same.