• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trimble Nomad question

vivo

Minuteman
May 25, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Is GPS a requirement to run FFS? If not what would the benefit be to having GPS(other than the obvious basic navigation)?

If you read about FFS you will understand the benefit, I doubt it's required to run it but you will hamstring the program without it.

It's not required, it's just nice to have. You can locate and range targets by coordinates, you can have targets groups and FFP's connected to load at a tap and with the LRF slaved you can ping targets and derive the coordinates.

The GPS function is also nice when shooting long range. When we went out to shoot at a mile. our rangefinders could not range the distance. So we just used the GPS to mark the Target and Shooting positions. FFS, then told us the distance, bearing, and slope.

Thanks for the replies.
So after reading the FFS manual, I gathered that the GPS will allow you to save target co-ordinates and group them so that you can re-visit that location and bring up a firing solution without ranging them again. I don't see this as any major benefit right now as I can range with my 15C and get that info(including slope) anyway.
Thanks again!