• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trimmed brass too short....

Wisconsinner

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2013
Appleton, WI
Hey All, I recently was doing some hand loading for the 6mmbr norma for an upcoming prairie dog trip. We were looking in an old manual that was for 6mmbr Remington, The trim to length on the norma dimensions is 1.555 where the trim to length on the remington is 1.520 What now?:confused: Is it still safe to shoot? I'm sure the brass will grow upon a few firings. Any Input is appreciated.

Should be fine, you just have .035 less neck holding the bullet. You won't have to trim for a bit!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

You'll still have good neck tension. Projectile will be a tad closer to the shoulder/case which will slightly affect pressure......but should be marginal.

.035 is a lot to take off your brass. Make sure and clean your chamber before trying some longer brass, there will be a carbon ring in front of the short brass when you are done pdoggin. Your loads may or may not shoot quite as well due to the change in neck tension. You will probably not notice on a pdog though.

Just went out and shot the hell out of the cases just because. Still shooting lights out at 200-300 yards. Thanks for the input gentlemen 2014-05-26 15.53.59.jpg!

The solution is actually quite simple: Load, fire, resize, and then check case length. If the case is too short, repeat until satisfied with case length.