• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trimmed Case Length Question - Needed Consistency

TX_Diver

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
WI
Using a Worlds Finest Trimmer I've gone through about 750 pieces of LC .223 brass over the past few days.

Max Case length is 1.760". I was targeting 1.745".

It took me a while to get the hang of the tool. I used it on a cordless drill and the impact of stopping the spindle would eventually loosen the trimmer and I'd need to reset it. Drove me nuts til I figured it out.

Regardless though I ended with a few cases closer to 1.750", and a few down to 1.739".

This ammo is for shooting paper and steel (and varmints) at the house. May shoot some sort of local match just for the sake of practice but I'm not a high level competitor or anything.

Any concern with the variation in lengths or trimming too short?

Also any tips on maintaining a consistent trim length with a WFT?

The difference of 11 thousandths is significant on the 223 case. It has a roughly 230 thousandths long neck, which means you're at 11/230 or 4.7% variation, which starts to get to the range that I would prefer to be lower on for precision purposes.

For the shorter ones, there shouldn't be any issue shooting them, and they'll grow in length as you resize them, so you'll get them back up, but if you're trying for precision, then sort by trim length and pick the ones closest to each other to load/shoot with in a session.

It is nice to have a drill that will run continuously to use with the WFT. I have a 90 degree attachment on my drill and i put it in the the vise and lock the trigger down. I have a prince alert tabbaco container I cut a hole in to catch shavings. I used a drill with out the 90 degree head for a long time. I wonder if brass shavings might have finally finished it. It was older than me.

WFT trims based on shoulder. Make sure your brass are sized all the same.
I did check that. The ones that were short measured the same on my comparator (relatively at least). Max variation I found on the comparator was .002.
Some cases that measured .008 different in length were identical when measured to the shoulder...

One thing I did on mine was draw a few stripes on the bushing with a sharpie to better indicate that it wasn't spinning. If it is still spinning you didn't press the brass in far enough.

You do have to develop the right feel for how quickly and firmly you are feeding a case in. The cuts show some chatter if not doing it right. This is mentioned in the instruction videos, but is hard to pick up "feel" from a video.

Reactions: TX_Diver