• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trimming 6.5CM 1x Brass (Before or After)

ChiefSillyHorse

Chief
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2017
Williamsburg , OH
I'm just starting the process of loading for 6.5CM. I have a custom rifle being built at the moment, and wanted to have my brass as prepped as possible before it gets here. I bought a good amount of 6.5CM 1x fired off of the hide and had a buddy give me some more 1x fired brass (all Hornady) as well. My question is:

Since the brass hasn't been shot out of my gun, should I go ahead and trim all the brass to 1.915, or should I wait until I load it, fire it from my gun, and then trim it afterwards? I should preface the question by saying that the electronic Lyman trimmer I have sucks so badly that I refuse to use it. The results from trimming .308 brass are so inconsistent, even after buying new cutters, mandrels, etc, I wouldn't use it to trim my mother-in-laws toenails.

If I do trim it, what are some good options for trimmers that are consistent and not super expensive? Has anyone used the "Worlds Cheapest Trimmers" from Ebay? They seem to have decent reviews and aren't expensive at all.

My gut tells me to trim first, that way everything is consistent from the get go. Then I can load, fire-form, and trim again if anything is still off... Just wanted to get opinions from the masses before I begin.

Case length of fired brass?

I just picked up the Lee/Sinclair trimmer waiting for a case holder but looks sturdy for being under $200 we’ll see how it runs in a week or two

Reactions: ChiefSillyHorse
^^^ how is he gonna set his resizing die correct......without a fired case from his chamber ? I think OP is trying to" put cart before horse"........or " push a log chain".......good luck with that.

Trim after brass is resized.

I’m going to resize, I was just inquiring as to whether I should trim prior to loading and firing in my rifle. Most brass is 1.914-1.918, with a few outliers.

I can get my shoulder bump and neck measurements by firing a factory round.

I’m going to resize, I was just inquiring as to whether I should trim prior to loading and firing in my rifle. Most brass is 1.914-1.918, with a few outliers.

I can get my shoulder bump and neck measurements by firing a factory round.

If i were in your shoes

Fire factory round to get head space measurement

Set die to bump fired factory rd .001 head space

Resize gifted/ hand me down brass

Compare resized factory and gifted brass.........they "should" be very close in head space

Trim gifted brass to desired / same length

Go from there

Good luck, have fun