• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing trimming bottom metal screws

triceratops3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2010
Northern VA
Not sure if this has been asked before but I'm going to be installing my cdi bottom metal pretty soon and I was wondering, if I need to trim a few threads off the screws what would the best way todo that would be? I don't want to mess up the end of the threads and then mess up the holes in my action.

So how do you guys trim the larger screws while keeping the threads in tact on the end?

Thanks.

Re: trimming bottom metal screws

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just cut em off with a dremel, then take and then bevel the cut edge slightly </div></div>

screw two corresponding hex nuts onto the bolt. Adjust the 2nd installed nut to expose the threads to be cut-off. Tighten the 1st nut behind it to lock it in place. Take a pair of visegrips and clamp onto the two nuts. Holding onto the bolt with the visegrips, proceed to either grind down on a grinding wheel (cool bolt with a cup of water) or use the dremel ( easy when nut/bolt combo is clamped into a vise. Lightly chamfer edge if desired with dremel or file.

I used an angle grinder with the screw held in a vice. After I sanded the equivalent of a thread or two, I took a hand file and gave the edges of the threads a but of an angle (bevel as Outsy mentioned). I then checked the screw by hand screwing it into the action. If all felt good, then I screwed it through the bottom metal and stock. I had to do this three times before I was satisfied with the length/tension; however, it was the safe way.

I screw a nut on the screws(1/4-28 for remington)before cutting. Gently file cut threads to remove burrs, ect. Then unscrew nut. If there is resistance do not remove nut. Screw nut back down & file more until nut unscrews easy. This might keep you out of trouble.
in-range

I chuck the screw in a drill, then clamp the drill in my mill vise and dremel it in my dremel press (mounted horizontal) then just slowly crank in the mill vise for a nice clean cut. I then remove the dremel and dress up the end with about a 45 degree bevel using the dremel freehand.

Good post. I appreciate it! Thanks for guiding.

If I only have to knock off a thread or two, I just buzz 'em on the bench grinder. Going slowly and putting a small bevel on the end keeps the starting thread clean and straight.

If there is more to be removed, then I'll do a rough cut with whatever is appropriate (hack saw, Dremel, angle grinder) and then use the bench grinder for clean-up.