• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trimming brass for precision

longrange772

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2021
US
A couple questions on trimming brass for SH. Do you trim after every firing or only when max length reached? Do you trim all the way back to trim-to-length, just under trim-to-length, just under max length or some consistent length in between the TTL and ML?

As long as your chamber is not out of spec, cases trimmed not longer than max will work, however, many people prefer to keep all cases in a batch at the same length.

Depending on your equipment, it may be as easy to trim all cases as to measure and only trim those that exceed max.

I prefer to trim, chamfer, and deburr every case each time.

You can look at trimming like this:

1. I fucking love trimming cases, I think I'll just take each one .001 under max length and trim them after each firing.

2. Trimming doesn't bother me, I'll go .005 under max and it'll last a few firings.

3. Trimming? God I fucking hate that shit. I'll trim .010 under max and get quite a few firings before I have to do that shit again.

4. I'm just gonna trim these bitches .020 short and if they ever reach max length, I'm throwing the fuckers in the trash.

Now, it's time to discuss annealing... 😁

1. I fucking love trimming cases, I think I'll just take each one .001 under max length and trim them after each firing.

2. Trimming doesn't bother me, I'll go .005 under max and it'll last a few firings.

3. Trimming? God I fucking hate that shit. I'll trim .010 under max and get quite a few firings before I have to do that shit again.

4. I'm just gonna trim these bitches .020 short and if they ever reach max length, I'm throwing the fuckers in the trash.

Wait ... don't keep us in suspense ... which is your favorite?

Which generates another question that I've wondered ... if one of the advantages of trimming brass is to ensure uniform case length ... then what good are those trimmers (like the Frankford Arsenal Case Prep) that only trim and don't allow case measurement (like the Redding case trimmer)?

Reactions: CxAgent

I fall into category 1. But then again, I have a Giraud trimmer and trimming only adds about 2-3 seconds per case. My loading regimen goes:
- decap
- primer pocket clean
- wet SS tumble
- anneal about every other firing (again, Giraud)
- size
- trim
- dry corn cob tumble (gets rid of the sizing lube)
- load

I think trimming depends on the game you are playing.

If you are shooting cans with an AR in your backyard is one thing. Doing 1000 yard F class is another.

Typically you will see improvements the farther you go out. Likewise even if the distance isn't far but you are able to shoot bug hole groups then it matters as well.

It all depends on what you are doing. There is a matter of safety but within the boundary of specifications there is a lot of room for interpretation.

Trimming after each firing can bring an F class 1000 yard group from 12" inches down to say 6" inches or something like that. But if you are doing PRS where a hit is a hit, it's still precision but not the same thing.

All I am saying is that I choose to spend my time and effort where it makes sense to do so (based on the activity I am doing).

I think trimming depends on the game you are playing.

If you are shooting cans with an AR in your backyard is one thing. Doing 1000 yard F class is another.

Typically you will see improvements the farther you go out. Likewise even if the distance isn't far but you are able to shoot bug hole groups then it matters as well.

It all depends on what you are doing. There is a matter of safety but within the boundary of specifications there is a lot of room for interpretation.

Trimming after each firing can bring an F class 1000 yard group from 12" inches down to say 6" inches or something like that. But if you are doing PRS where a hit is a hit, it's still precision but not the same thing.

All I am saying is that I choose to spend my time and effort where it makes sense to do so (based on the activity I am doing).

Get the fuck out of here.. my 220TB, 308win, 6.5x47L, 6.5cm, 6br groups do not shrink by 6" @ 1000yd because I trimmed my brass that was still in spec. Go blow that smoke up someone else's ass.

Get the fuck out of here.. my 220TB, 308win, 6.5x47L, 6.5cm, 6br groups do not shrink by 6" @ 1000yd because I trimmed my brass that was still in spec. Go blow that smoke up someone else's ass.
It was an analogy about a general concept not a specific result.

The point being that at 1000 yards (in general) if you shot a bunch of groups with brass that was never trimmed and then did the same thing with careful trimming a shooter could see a difference between the two.

My post wasn't anything about anyone's specific results but rather trying to draw a distinction about where in general it matters more vs other things

The point being that at 1000 yards (in general) if you shot a bunch of groups with brass that was never trimmed and then did the same thing with careful trimming a shooter could see a difference between the two.

My post wasn't anything about anyone's specific results but rather trying to draw a distinction about where in general it matters more vs other things

Then you'd be wise to say that then, instead of using specific numbers of 12" reduced by 6"....your words

Last edited:

Most shooters lack the ability to see any difference on the target with respect to trim length as long as it's within SAAMI specs.

Most shooters don't have a rifle capable of shooting any difference either.

A person can put loads together using every accuracy enhancing technique known to man, and it might still shoot like shit. Incompatibility of components, shitty rifle, bad shooting technique all play a role.

The most basic reloading techniques done well, along with a good rifle and a good shooter will outshoot the best equipment/rifle in the hands of someone that lacks necessary skill.

Too many people dive deep down the rabbit hole with no understanding of what they are really doing or why.

Most shooters lack the ability to see any difference on the target with respect to trim length as long as it's within SAAMI specs.

Most shooters don't have a rifle capable of shooting any difference either.

A person can put loads together using every accuracy enhancing technique known to man, and it might still shoot like shit. Incompatibility of components, shitty rifle, bad shooting technique all play a role.

The most basic reloading techniques done well, along with a good rifle and a good shooter will outshoot the best equipment/rifle in the hands of someone that lacks necessary skill.

Too many people dive deep down the rabbit hole with no understanding of what they are really doing or why.
I agree 100% with your post. People like Erik Cortina and others can see big differences. Most other people aren't there yet.

...IMHO, it comes down to you trying all the processes and determining which one fits you and your purpose best. Pick a start point for your trim length, measure after firing(s) to determine if and when length changes and if on target results were affected. It all comes down to your expenditure of "time"...

I agree 100% with your post. People like Erik Cortina and others can see big differences. Most other people aren't there yet.

i dont think that they REALY see the difference. maybe they CAN, but after 5 or 10 shots they only imagine that they can see.

like one flier that is from torch annealing... this is only in eric's head.

I trim new or new to me brass to the suggested trim to length. Then again when it nears max length.