• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trimming brass

RTO

Sergeant
Minuteman
Id like to know what/how anyone is trimming their brass. I have a Redding 2400 and I set the micrometer and set to where I want it on one piece of brass and the next doesnt take off enough or to much on the following. Maybe its me and Im trying to hold my tolerances to tight. Interested what you guys are seeing for tolerances and what should be expected and or any tips to try.

Re: Trimming brass

For accuracy, nothing beats a Wilson. It's fairly fast, too.

Every one of my cases trimmed on a Wilson come out exactly the same length to the thousandth.

The wilson isas accurate as they come. It is easy to make up a micrometer style if you have a small lathe or know someone who does. I have purchased a dozen or so starrett micrometer heads on ebay for 15 or 20 bucks apeice and made up a bunch for friends. It costs 47 bucks for the trimmer and with a bit of lathe work you can make up the same thing that Sinclair gets about a hundred and a quarter for for sixty five to seventy, and thats with a Starrett mic.I have two or three that I made up and they are accurate to the thousandth every time.

Years ago, I believe it was the late 70s we were paired up with the NH NG at the Wilson Matches (National Guard Championships). I was pulling targets with a machinest NH ARNG Member.

He developed a case trimmer simular to the LEE but much better. It was a shaft or pilot that went in the mouth of the case. It had an adjustable V shaped cutter. The cutter would trim the brass until it bottomed out in the case. The V in the cutter allowed the case to be de-burred as it cut. Just put the pilot holder in a drill press/milling machine, the pilot into the holder. Turn it on, slide the case on the pilot until it bottoms out, ITS DONE. Takes a couple seconds per case. Never found anything faster.

The pilot/cutter goes into the holder so you don't get wacked by the cutter.

case%20trimer%20006.JPG

case%20trimers%20001.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: himaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For accuracy, nothing beats a Wilson. It's fairly fast, too.

Every one of my cases trimmed on a Wilson come out exactly the same length to the thousandth. </div></div>

Are you guys trimming by hand or using a power drill with the Wilson ?

I'm running an RCBS Trim Pro Power trimmer. I'd say it's about +- .002. I don't measure too many after I get set up, maybe one every 20 or 30.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TJ.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: himaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For accuracy, nothing beats a Wilson. It's fairly fast, too.

Every one of my cases trimmed on a Wilson come out exactly the same length to the thousandth. </div></div>

Are you guys trimming by hand or using a power drill with the Wilson ? </div></div>

By hand but I'm about to upgrade to a power adapter with my next Sinclair order.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A different way to skin that cat....

http://www.giraudtool.com/ </div></div>

Or maybe its better said as "a different way to skin a bucket full of cats in a short period of time"

wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunsnjeeps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm running an RCBS Trim Pro Power trimmer. I'd say it's about +- .002. I don't measure too many after I get set up, maybe one every 20 or 30. </div></div>

yep, that's about what i've found

I trim with the RCBS 3-way cutter and a trim pro by hand cranking. Once you get the 3-way cutter set up (and you'll usually junk up 2-3 cases checking the different depths so use old/throw-away cases) it's a breeze and all of mine are within .0005" of each other. I'll usually get 2.010 or 2.010/5 on my calipers which is much better than I expected.

I use the Forster trimmer with a 3 in 1 (trimmer, chamfer, deburr) and power tool adapter. Comes out exacty at 2.005 every time and is easy.

It's a little expensive, but IMHO well worth it.

I happen to use a LEE trimmer in my mini-lathe. It takes more time to put a new case on the wrench-case-holder and take it off than to do the trimming work.

If it's a 308 nothing beets a Giraud that being said a Possum Hollow from Sinclair is real tough to beat mounted to a drill press for about $35.00 all total w/ the holder. Of course you have to chamfer as a different step but........

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RTO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Id like to know what/how anyone is trimming their brass. I have a Redding 2400 and I set the micrometer and set to where I want it on one piece of brass and the next doesnt take off enough or to much on the following. Maybe its me and Im trying to hold my tolerances to tight. Interested what you guys are seeing for tolerances and what should be expected and or any tips to try.
</div></div>

I'm using a 2400 and it is the bomb, every case is dead on. It took me a while to figure out how to set the collet so I could reliably set the case in the collet and bottom it out. But once I did I could knock them out pretty fast and they are all dead on once trimmed. I just trim them until the case stops getting cut then pop the case out and they are trimmed and perfectly square ready for deburring. You just have to mess with setting it up a bit to get it to work is all.

HTH!

What kind of tolerances are you getting on your 2400? Im seeing about .004 Im thinking I may go with a wilson since everybody here seems to have such good luck with them.

I'm running the RCBS trimmer with the standard cutting head. My case mouths are NOT square to the case body. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong if anything.

Anyone else have this problem? Is there a solution?

glock24: Do you have a set of calipers to check items with? First thing I would look at is taking some measurements of the shell plate that holds the case head and see if somehow either the shell plate is out of spec or the little pins that it sits on are. Also double check that the shell plate isn't on backwards (may be possible to use a larger shell plate backwards by mistake). My bet is that if you can find the problem, it's more likely going to come from that side of the trimmer than the cutter side since it has the most play. How off are your cuts? Can you tell just by eye-balling?

Wilson. As others said it trims brass within a consistent 0.001 of an inch from each other.