• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Trimming Mcmillan Butt stock

Wrongtarget

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
May 21, 2017
CA
Lookin at chopping a 1/2” or so off my A-10 stock to shorten LOP. Besides the threaded inserts for the buttpad screws is there any other surprises to look out for? Thanks!
913D7557-F3EB-48D0-BD94-4C9254793795.jpeg

That is a lot of work for a half inch! How much can you take off of the pad?

I understand.. There is more to shortening a FG stock that just cutting it down and screwing the pad back on. McMillan used to provide the service but sometimes it took 6 months to do. Chad (Longrifles Inc.) can do it much faster.

I understand.. There is more to shortening a FG stock that just cutting it down and screwing the pad back on. McMillan used to provide the service but sometimes it took 6 months to do. Chad (Longrifles Inc.) can do it much faster.
They said they can do it but the turnaround wasn’t addressed. I figured there was more to it than cutting but was hoping for a quick fix. Thanks

Tagging into this for future reference.

Super bored here and was thinking about what it would entail to cut down my McMillan A3 so it would better fit my wife. Was also going to do what Tyler @ MaxOrd did to the grip in order to shorten the distance to the trigger from the grip.

Hope you find the info you’re looking for OP.

I chopped 3/8 off of an A4 so Rebecca could get behind it.
Taped it off, leveled it and made a careful cut with a fine blade on my chop saw.
Had to touch up the back with a little file work to make sure it was flat and even.
The butt pad is an almost perfect fit in its new position. Almost perfect, but not quite.
Don't really care though.

Tagging into this for future reference.

Super bored here and was thinking about what it would entail to cut down my McMillan A3 so it would better fit my wife. Was also going to do what Tyler @ MaxOrd did to the grip in order to shorten the distance to the trigger from the grip.

Hope you find the info you’re looking for OP.

Hate to derail, but do you have more info on this? I have stubby fingers and find the trigger reach on my a3 a bit long.

Please and thank you
Shred

Hate to derail, but do you have more info on this? I have stubby fingers and find the trigger reach on my a3 a bit long.

Please and thank you
Shred
Yea man, shot ya a PM so we aren't cluttering the thread.