• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trimming your die?

dontstrokeme

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2007
Port Angeles, WA
Anyone see a problem with trimming the bottom of my RCBS 270WSM FL die? Maybe 15 thou....problem is I can't get the shoulder bumped back. Did the adjustment like Sierra and RCBS says and bolt is still hard to close on primed but unloaded cases.....loaded rounds are hard also. Factory rounds chamber fine and the chamber is SAAMI...just done last week. I have gone 4 turns down on the die and it seems that all I do is touch the shell holder to the die. I had to do some light lapping on my 22-250 dies before and am just wondering if I remove some of the bottom of the FL sizer die if there is anything I would do bad....just looking to get my cases shoulder closer to the actual die shoulder.

Worst case is I waste a $25 set of dies!!!

Thanks in advance.

Re: Trimming your die?

It's a no sweat job. Remove the guts, then measure the length of the die body with your calipers. Take off only what you want by keeping track of what's happening with the calipers.

I find a belt sander works better than a bench grinder. A fine-grit belt cuts slowly enough to control, for me anyway.

It's a good idea to match shell holder brand to the die brand, but if there is still a headspace issue, that's how to do it. I prefer to trim the shell holder, but you can trim the shell holder or the die...either one is no problem. I wouldn't use a grinder. Use oil soaked fine emery cloth on a piece of glass...keep it neat.

btw...It sounds like your sizing die may be out of spec...RCBS would likely send you a new die at no charge...their customer service is very good.

TC

Well 15 thou on the lathe and two times on the belt sander didn't do jack shit....I think RCBS really fucked the dog on my dies....of course since I modified them I can't really expect them to remedy it....oh well...$25 is all!!!

Any recomendations on quality FL dies for 270WSM????
cry.gif

Have you tried actually measuring the brass? Both before it's sized and after? I would be more concerned about that measurement than most others. Measuring the "bump" back of the shoulder is where your ease of closing the bolt will come from. USUALLY, it takes between .0015" and .003" to make it happen right. Over .003" and your working the brass too much. That'll make it easier for a case head seperation after a few loadings.

Is the shellholder actually touching the die when you are sizing a case?
Unless it is, you still have room for more adjustment.
There is some flex that will occur under the pressure of sizing and the shellholder may not be touching when under that pressure.

If it just touches when you are "not" sizing a case you still have a ways to go.

I don't have a way to measure the shoulder to case head length....case OAL is under the reloading book measurement.

I think I might have figured out the problem after trimming the die.....I think the flex in my bench might be hiding the force needed to push the shoulder back....I got some primed rounds to chamber now but it is not easy to close the bolt. If I go any further I end up rippeling the shoulder.....

You are a mechanic. If a part fails you don't fix it you replace it. Considering the danger in having head space errors you need to stop. Start over, find out what is bad or what is wrong in your setup. And now is the time to invest in some measuring equipment being a cat mechanic you either have a lot of precision gauges and dial indicators and access to tooling or you need to work on dogs.
smile.gif

you don't think you might need a SB die do you?

Stoney Point (now Hornady?) headspace comparator insert for your calipers is a very good thing to have.......

Seems to be chambering ok now....no on the SB dies....would those be an improvement over standard FL dies?

The CAT mechanic part....yeah I do have a lot of tools but precesion isn't always the best way, time and money come into effect before precision, providing it will work correctly....in general people want it to work not have every tolerance with in 1/10th thousandth....we have bigger hammers than the automotive guys!
shocked.gif
Generally if an engine looses a piston we repair the failure not replace the long block.
wink.gif
The smith confirmed twice that the chamber is to SAMMI spec. Since factory rounds chamber the same as the ones that I am re-resizing I belive I repaired it!!
laugh.gif

Not being a dick above....just ribbing.

I appreciate the help....going through right now and pulling bullets to resize the primed rounds. They are chambering good now.

I used to be a CAT mechanic
wink.gif
I am now a John Deere mechanic. I have done Git er Done jobs. They sometimes work, sometimes are back in the shop to be done correctly. One of my last ones is back in the shop with a hole burnt through a piston. Seemed a lot cheaper route the first time I fixed the engine. Not looking like it now.....
Just a reminder you already know about.

No offense taken. I may be a little paranoid but there was an OOB discharge of a .50 at the last FCSA event and it messed the guy up pretty bad. It is the second in about a year and the guy before him lost his eye cheek and some other non replaceable body parts. These firearms can be pretty dangerous without some care. I am only saying it doesn't cost that much to get a few basics to make sure everything will be safe.

So you gave up that really big shit to start working on big shit.
Them pistons can be pretty expensive to repair like the cost of a new truck aren't they?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: montana</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used to be a CAT mechanic
wink.gif
I am now a John Deere mechanic. I have done Git er Done jobs. They sometimes work, sometimes are back in the shop to be done correctly. One of my last ones is back in the shop with a hole burnt through a piston. Seemed a lot cheaper route the first time I fixed the engine. Not looking like it now.....
Just a reminder you already know about. </div></div>

I agree on the Hamburger Harry repairs...one guy at our sahop got away with one for 3 months....but it only ran for 3 hours!!! For the most part I am the one being clean and orderly but it is suprising how many jobs you are suprised to see running kep running for years!

I stopped after my 3rd round when I saw ejector mark on it...I only had slight primer flow....just back into the firing pin hole....no flaking or anything...but still enough to stop me.