• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Trip to Murray State College for gunsmithing

trigger time

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2006
Anna, tx
Thought some of you might enjoy some pictures from my trip to gunsmithing school at Murray State. I built a 7WSM on a Tikka T3. Obermeyer 8.4 twist in an AMU contour turned down to fit the 1.2" action. Manners T4 with CDI bottom metal. Alpha mags seem to be running great so far. Also, added a real recoil lug while I was at it. The school and the staff were great. Their lab and machines were spotless and they insured they were left that way every night. Over all it was a great experience and I look forward to building many more.
lab.jpg

mills.jpg

action.jpg

barrel.jpg

recoillug.jpg

pantograph.jpg

highspeedtesttires.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Re: Trip to Murray State College for gunsmithing

I was just starting to work up a load and only loaded 3 shots. I'll load up some more and shoot a proper group and get some better pictures.

Man, I wish I could have stayed to take the rebarreling class!! I was there for the two weeks prior taking basic mill and basic lathe. All in all it's an awesome program that I certainly plan to attend at least one class every summer.

I was looking around for you since you said you would be there. The class was fast paced but good. We put in 14 hours on Wednesday.

Looks like the same tires I test fired my first barreled action on 12 years ago! I heard they were putting a new range in. When I was there we went out back behind the school in a big wash and test fired there with the same setup and a 20' string. Who is the metalworking instructor now?

The new range is nice, with pistol and rifle bays to 100. John Bohon is the instructor still. If I heard right he has been there 21 years.

Good info. That might be a worthy trip for next summer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trigger time</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was looking around for you since you said you would be there. The class was fast paced but good. We put in 14 hours on Wednesday. </div></div>

Yea, I see you had Charlie helping out in y'all class as well. He put on the mill class for us and his teaching style is right up my ally. Here's the machine, this does this, don't do that, here's a blueprint....have fun.

John taught the lathe class and is MUCH more "teaching" oriented in his method. I'm grateful for all the info I came away with as he made sure we had all we could handle.

I didn't realize Murray had gunsmithing classes. I may have to sing up for this some summer. Its not too far away from me.

Nice to see John the lecture nazi Bohon again. I graduated from that program in 2005 with a presidents honor roll seal and the machinist of the year award. It was the best program them and even though some of the names have changed I'll bet it still is.

Dude, this stuff looks great, and I wish I had stayed for that class as well but I had to come back home.

Glad I got to meet you in the MILL class, I was at the 1911 class last week and had BLAST. Rifles are next year!!! stay in touch bro!