• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Triple Aught Design - Stealth Hoodie LT Review

jasonk

Very Snipery
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2007
Vancouver, Washington
I put up a review on the homepage of snipershide.com but I know some guys like me tend to come straight to the forums and skip the homepage all together. Here's a link to the full review and the first paragraph teaser if it interest you. My Triple Aught Design gear has become some of my favorite and I thought I'd share my experience.

We’ve all done it, we’ve all put on a new piece of clothing and almost instantly you know that this is going to be your new go to shirt, hat, pair of pants, (insert some other random piece of clothing here), whatever. That’s the feeling that I got when I put on the new Stealth Hoodie LT from Triple Aught Design (TAD). Everything from the feel of the liner, the slight stretch of the shell and the way the cut of the jacket fit me was as good as I’ve ever felt. It didn’t hurt that the first time I showed the jacket to my wife and her response was something along the lines of “Damn you look hot in that jacket”. I’ve worn it to work a couple times and every time I do I get compliments from my coworkers and even a customer asked me about the jacket. It truly turns heads. Why am I starting a review with comments on how nice the jacket looks? Lots of people make jackets that are waterproof and maybe they share some of the features of the Stealth Hoodie LT, but no one makes one that I think looks as good as the TAD jacket while performing so well. http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/Stealth-Hoodie-LT

The rest of the review and a couple pics can be found here: http://www.snipershide.com/2012/01/1027/

Re: Triple Aught Design - Stealth Hoodie LT Review

I love tad gear but their prices are getting too high now. I have a bunch of stuff but they've priced me out now for parkas/jackets.

nice gear gotta grab a jacket.

It certainly is a grab jacket. I can't afford that much for a jacket so I got the Condor Summit which is a copy of that jacket and it is by far my favorite jacket I've ever had. If I had $200 more dollars for a jacket I would have gone with the Stealth.

They make great gear. I love my pack, shorts, and pants. You've just have to budget your purchases - think car payment LOL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love tad gear but their prices are getting too high now. I have a bunch of stuff but they've priced me out now for parkas/jackets.</div></div>

I don't disagree they are expensive, but I believe they are expensive in the same way S&B and AI is expensive. You do get what you pay for. I have the Ranger Hoodie Fleece as well, a pack and I bought my wife a merino wool sweater from them for Christmas. All of it is top notch quality.

It's more than say Mountain Hardware, but I think it's a better jacket. However it is less than Arcteryx and I still think it's a better jacket.

I have a TAD Gear Explorer jacket, but have since moved to Arcteryx. More to choose from in different styles of clothing for different climates. Really a brand that goes from hot to cold weather.

There quality is remarkable. Look into the Alpha Lt jackets. A monsoon proof jacket. Lightweight, waterproof zippers, and water and wind proof. Awesome piece of kit.

Cut

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It didn’t hurt that the first time I showed the jacket to my wife and her response was something along the lines of “Damn you look hot in that jacket”.</div></div>You've found it: That's exactly the piece of gear that I am looking for!
laugh.gif

I love mine, worth every penny. It keeps me comfy from the 60s down to the upper 30s...lower with a base layer. I have a couple minor complaints, but over all, its great gear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love mine, worth every penny. It keeps me comfy from the 60s down to the upper 30s...lower with a base layer. I have a couple minor complaints, but over all, its great gear. </div></div>

+1 have quite a bit from them - hard shell, fleeces, trousers.

Sure, they're not the cheapest....but for me it's the old "buy once...." mantra again.

Good, hard wearing and reliaable kit.

Never regretted anything I've bought from them.

Did have to sew up a 1" split ina seam on my service sweater when it arrived...but only because it was a lot cheaper than sending it back for warranty repair from the UK for somethinng so minor!! Sure TAD would have put it right without any question though!

Does that really say $325!??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperCJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does that really say $325!??</div></div>

It does, but they are pretty much sold out. Good news!! You can get the lined version for only $30 more, a true bargain for sure.

http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/Stealth-Hoodie

Nice looking stuff, but way out of my price range. So for now ill be happy with my two condor knockoffs. Together they were less than half the price of one jacket.

I have several of their jackets and all have performed superbly. They have held up as well as my original North Face and Mountain Hardware gear. They have been my go-to jackets for several years now, and seem to be at home both at matches and around town.

The price is a bit steep, but this is a forum where people have $7k or more into a rifle they shoot once a month at best. I wear this stuff constantly. Also, if you watch their site, they have clearances pretty often since they change designs almost yearly. 2 of my 3 jackets from them I purchased on clearance for a very significant discount. It's worth an occassional check-in.

Theyre are a bit expensive but well worth it, I love my ranger hoodie.

+1 on sizing question - if you wear a 'mass market' Large jacket with a sweatshirt perfectly.......does their Large fit like UA (spandex) or is there room.

Seems that most softshells run very snug, for their intended public use........but need some added room for stuff.

i have their ranger hoodie and recon hoodie. both are solid kit.

I have a closet full of TAD. The design and quality of materials is top notch. I use my Spectre Multicam jacket (from 2008) almost every time I go to the range and it still looks like new. All my TAD kit is made in USA, I would not buy it if it was not. Although, I do agree with some that their packs, blades, and lights are way over priced. I picked up a TAD Fast Pack and it is nowhere near the level of my Kifaru kit.

TAD has awesome gear! I using the EDC Fast Pack right now on deployment! It has served me well so far.

I am happy with my North Face gear, never stepped up to Mountain Hardware. Pondered the Condor and the TAD but in the end just put my North Face back on.

I like what you are saying but that coin for a jacket would put a dent into my gun money.

I got no issue spending hard earned money for quality. I have a north face goretex jacket that is 20'years old that I scrapped beer money in college for $500 back then and to this day wear it a lot with many more years of use ahead. Buy once cry once.

That being said, sizing has always been an issue especially mail order. Reviews like this are great. Like all my hand guns and rifles, I can always use another
smile.gif

For sizing the Stealth Hoodie LT runs larger than a lot of jackets, just a bit. I wear a medium in this, typically I'm between a medium and a large in most of the common brands, but I would SWIM in a large.

With this medium outer shell I can wear my TAD Ranger Hoodie fleece, also medium, underneath. The Ranger is a little snugger than most medium fleeces so they work very well together and keep me very warm!

The other nice thing about this jacket being a little roomier than most in your common size is when wearing it as a cover garment for concealed carry.

Nice write up! Here is another one for people on the fence.

http://www.militarymorons.com/gear/softnon.3.html

I wish you would have posted this though... Made me buy another stealth LT. I have tried others to save some money but I keep coming back to the TAD gear stuff. Top notch is the only way to describe their stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KaneK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried their hard shell. For $400 & being made in china.... Just couldn't justify it. </div></div>

Is this recent? I have an older non hooded stealth jacket made in the US (if we are claiming the SF Bay area lol) and the jacket I bought my dad two years ago was made in the US as well.

Had mine for 4 years and its my second favorite next to my OR hardface fleece jacket (also made in the US)

A06

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KaneK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried their hard shell. For $400 & being made in china.... Just couldn't justify it. </div></div>

Is this recent? I have an older non hooded stealth jacket made in the US (if we are claiming the SF Bay area lol) and the jacket I bought my dad two years ago was made in the US as well.

Had mine for 4 years and its my second favorite next to my OR hardface fleece jacket (also made in the US)

A06</div></div>

Some are made in the US and others in China. The jacket I reviewed above is indeed made in China.

I asked about this when doing research on the jacket. TAD is not afraid to use US labor of course, but in this instance they chose to use a manufacturer in China that had the processes and technologies that they were looking for. All of the fabric is water-jet cut and the factory doing this in China is state of the art. Apparently it isn't done much or at all in the US and TAD couldn't find anyone to build it how they wanted to here.

It's a global economy, it doesn't matter where items are made as long as the maker is held to the quality control you want. If you want the best jacket then you have it made by the best maker who will produce it to your desired level of quality. If that's in the US then all the better, but if it's in Australia, Denmark, Chile or China then that's fine too.

Good to know. Agree with with buying the best regardless of place of mfg but whenever possible I try (difficult as it may be) to go local provided the quality is up to standards.

As long as they are maintaining the standard that built their reputation I will continue to buy from them when the need arises. After 5 years unless I get fat and outgrow mine I dont think I will need to buy another anytime soon they really are that well made!

Thanks Jasonk.....was xctly my point on sizing. at least for the LT and fleece

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wolf22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Jasonk.....was xctly my point on sizing. at least for the LT and fleece</div></div>

Happy to help.

I'm writing up something for the Ranger Hoodie too, will post that in the next week or two.

Re: Sizing...TAD is one of the few companies I hav found taht gives detailed and accurate sizing guides for their products with just about every measurement you can imagine.

This is a must have for online clothing stores (especially at this price).

"Buy with confidence!"

They definitely run big.

They also melt in a flash. If you are wearing one, don't stand too close to the camp fire...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
With this medium outer shell I can wear my TAD Ranger Hoodie fleece, also medium, underneath. The Ranger is a little snugger than most medium fleeces so they work very well together and keep me very warm! </div></div>

So if the med/med combo works well for you I imagine the large/large combo would be a pretty safe bet? I bought my wife a medium Ranger and tried it on and the chest was too tight, almost couldn't zip it up. The large Ranger of mine fits me PERFECT however.

I ask because I may or may not have a large Stealth en route...