• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Triple C Range Rules: Under 3,000 FPS? Am I missing something?

richthe1

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2018
I was surprised to see a 3,000fps limit at Triple C‘s website (https://www.triplecrange.com/range-rules).

That eliminates a lot of cartridges from shooting. Even 5.56. Seems crazy to me, am I missing something?

I was looking at getting into ELR and trying to decide on a cartridge choice, but with this 3,000fps rule I’m not sure what to go with.

Per the link you posted

For 5.56 / 2.23 ONLY- No velocity over 3,000 feet per second.

I see it listed again under long range, but seems odd to specify it only applies to 5.55/2.23 elsewhere. Perhaps call and ask.

Probably much easier to do a flat 3000 FPS limit on stuff than break down velocity limits at 100, 200, etc to avoid pitting. Probably just want to avoid guys bringing out a 22-250 and shooting 150-200 yard steel or guys blasting away at 100 yard steel with 55gr FMJ. If you’re distance shooting and using 223, probably running 69-77 gr stuff that’s right at or below that speed anyway. Just give them a call.

At the end of the list of rules it mentioned the 3000fps speed limit again but for anything shooting steel targets not just for the 5.56/.223 but any. That makes more sense to me because my 22-250 shoots the same 55gr .224 bullet as my 5.56 but at around 4000fps. Most everything else clocks in under 3k. However they might not like the 5.56/.223 because it’s usually in a ar15 style rifle.

Reactions: Sig Marine
Was out there today and asked them about this. The 3000 fps limit is only for the steel targets on the pistol/tactical range. The long range stuff is good to go with 223.

Reactions: Tono and richthe1
Thanks guys! Just sent them an email asking (I like to have answers in writing). Hoping I can shoot 300 Norma Mag out there!

Yes its intended for close range steel, as like said above people were shooting the close steel with little calibers and tearing the steel up.

Reactions: richthe1