• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Triple J Ammunition

hlee

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jul 14, 2012
    TX
    This probably only applies to people in Texas, or the general Houston area, but I'm writing up a short review of some Triple J Ammunition that I recently bought at a local gun show. Triple J Guns and Ammo is a brick and mortar store located in Texas City Texas. They, apparently, manufacture ammunition in a range of pistol and rifle calibers. I was at a local gun show over the weekend and passed their booth. They had 6.5 Creedmoor "match" ammunition (140 BTHP) listed at $30 per box of 20. That's not a terrible price for match quality ammunition, so I took a chance on a box. We had some good weather yesterday so I took it and a couple of other boxes out to the range. I shot 10 rounds of hornady black 140 BTHP, 5 rounds of hornady Match 147 ELD-M, and all 20 of the Triple J ammunition. I didn't measure the groups of the hornady ammunition, as my "testing methodology" changed mid course. My initial testing method was going to be...

5 rounds of hornady black to confirm zero

Attach magneto speed
    5 rounds of hornady black with magneto speed to check MV
    5 rounds of hornady match with magneto speed to check MV
    5 rounds of JJJ with mageto speed to check MV

Remove Magneto speed
    5 round groups from each to assess precision of ammunition.

As the first 20 rounds were supposed to be just to confirm zero and check MV, they were all shot into the same target. But, once I had the MV from the JJJ ammunition, the "testing method" changed. The reason for this is below...

MV data from 5 shots of each ammunition
    Ammunition Black Match JJJ
    Listed MV 2690 2695 2650
    Average
    2640 2654 2497
    Minimum 2620 2648 2473
    Maximum 2652 2659 2532

As you can see above, the MV for the Triple J ammunition is roughly 150 fps slower than listed on the box. I left the magneto speed on the rifle and fired the remaining cartridges of Triple J ammunition in three 5 round groups.

Screen Shot 2024-05-21 at 11.09.10 AM.png

The group sizes were pretty meh; certainly not what I would call "match" level precision. The three groups had center to center measurements of 1.11", 1.26", and 1.09" in diameter. It's a small consolation, but the groups did not show wandering average points of impact. For perspective, the rifle (Ruger Precision Rifle) is boringly sub MOA. Below are a couple of pics of targets shot with this rifle, from my "reloading book."

IMG_6048.jpeg

IMG_6047.jpeg

If this were being called "low recoil" or "plinking" ammunition, I probably wouldn't be a buyer; but I wouldn't have any real complaints either. But, as "match" ammunition, I'll be steering clear in the future.