• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

sjbryan65

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Franklinton, NC
I am planning to buy a two vets recon or a recon v2. Also plan to buy an anvil30.

Main question is would you get the standard recon with their anvil bowl so you could secure the anvil30 with the 4 screws and have a pound heavier tripod. Or get the v2 and possibly have issues with the anvil30 coming loose since it won't be secured with the four additional screws to keep it from rotating?

Anybody running a v2 with anvil30 and are you having it come loose on you?

Thanks guys!!

Reactions: Baron85
Stop considering. I had these thoughts also, who doesn’t want to spend $600 on other shooting gear. Said F it and bought the 24l with anvil 30. Buy far the best example of buy once cry once to date. I’ve said in other threads on the hide and I’ll say it again. If it wasn’t that much better then why do all and I mean all my shooting friends who own any tripod brand besides rrs say man I wish I had yours?

Reactions: Clem
I am planning to buy a two vets recon or a recon v2. Also plan to buy an anvil30.

Main question is would you get the standard recon with their anvil bowl so you could secure the anvil30 with the 4 screws and have a pound heavier tripod. Or get the v2 and possibly have issues with the anvil30 coming loose since it won't be secured with the four additional screws to keep it from rotating?

Anybody running a v2 with anvil30 and are you having it come loose on you?

Thanks guys!!
I have a 2 Vets tripod…the No Name…that accepts the anvil bowl and that’s how I mounted the Anvil-30. It’s worked wonderfully w zero issues.

Only you can eval the trade off of 1lb heavier vs additional risks of coming loose.

You could always red locktite the sucker on…but you’d have to sell the tripod w the Anvil attached if you ever wanted to move it! Haha.

And I love how many people almost immediately pop up and tell you to buy the most expensive tripod on the market but don’t offer to use their money to help you get it.

I find the 2 Vets to be a very solid and well made tripod and Dan’s CS is completely top drawer.

Best of luck

Well in my circle I was one of the later ones to get a tripod. When we were together the ones with different brands were like, dam let me check that thing out. See what I blew $1,500 on probably. The general consensus was wow that things is sweet or so smooth or so light, legs lock up so easy and solid. Quite a few said man wish I would have bought that instead. And all definitely said which wouldn’t apply to the op is that the anvil 30 is freekin amazing and blows there’s away. I mainly chimed in to spend his money cause hey said he was considering. I as well considered options but like I said it has been one of the Best Buy once cry once purchased yet. For me also which maybe I should have said is I knew that I would also be using mine for hunting and shooting off of. Not just to put my binos on at a prs match which seems the typical use for most. If I was only buying for that reason I would have just bought whatever. I made the rrs decision knowing it would still be used for all my applications 20+ years down the road.

Thanks for the insight so far guys. I think I am leaning toward the standard recon with the anvil mounted in the bowl. Should be rock solid. Will be bulkier and about 2lbs heavier than the rrs. I will be using it mainly for still hunting on the east coast and an occasional competition. Won't be out west climbing mountains with it.

The RRS is definitely tempting. I will be around 1100 with the recon plus anvil adapter plus the anvil30. Have seen a couple rrs 33's like new condition go for 1450 in the exchange.

Would love to hear some more two vets anvil combo experiences.

Only you can eval the trade off of 1lb heavier vs additional risks of coming loose.
Isn't the 2 vets already heavier than the RRS? I checked them out... and really wanted to like them, but the spec sheet I looked at meant it would be way heavier.

A RRS 33 with anvil 30 is 4.6lbs. Comprable two vets legs, just bare legs with no head is 5.6lbs. So by the time I get a head on there it's going to be 3-4lbs heavier than an RRS setup, even with the anvil 30 (being the lightest head). That's a deal breaker for me, even if they had the same capabilities as an RRS. Maybe they do have the same capabilities... I can't say as the weight caused me to not even try them out.

I have RRS 2 series tripods with BH-40's I've been running heavily since 2012'ish. Not just camera work either, these things see round count. They are just as good now as they were when new... and I use them constantly. Basically daily. I'm either shooting off them or taking pictures off them almost every day. When they get looking ugly, I send them to Daniel @ Primal Finish for a new cerakote job, and boom they look brand new again.

I'm constantly loaning them out to customers. I can't seem to keep 33 anvils around... as soon as one shows up someone demands to buy it off me.

I've got a new ascend w/anvil coming soon. Looking forward to seeing if its stable enough for distant shots. Get this... that ascend with the anvil head... weighs 3.5lbs. lol It will be like carrying a butterfly in my pack.

5yaXjf6h.jpg

Isn't the 2 vets already heavier than the RRS? I checked them out... and really wanted to like them, but the spec sheet I looked at meant it would be way heavier.

A RRS 33 with anvil 30 is 4.6lbs. Comprable two vets legs, just bare legs with no head is 5.6lbs. So by the time I get a head on there it's going to be 3-4lbs heavier than an RRS setup, even with the anvil 30 (being the lightest head). That's a deal breaker for me, even if they had the same capabilities as an RRS. Maybe they do have the same capabilities... I can't say as the weight caused me to not even try them out.

I have RRS 2 series tripods with BH-40's I've been running heavily since 2012'ish. Not just camera work either, these things see round count. They are just as good now as they were when new... and I use them constantly. Basically daily. I'm either shooting off them or taking pictures off them almost every day. When they get looking ugly, I send them to Daniel @ Primal Finish for a new cerakote job, and boom they look brand new again.

I'm constantly loaning them out to customers. I can't seem to keep 33 anvils around... as soon as one shows up someone demands to buy it off me.

I've got a new ascend w/anvil coming soon. Looking forward to seeing if its stable enough for distant shots. Get this... that ascend with the anvil head... weighs 3.5lbs. lol It will be like carrying a butterfly in my pack.

5yaXjf6h.jpg
Pretty sure the recon is 5.6lbs and the anvil is 15ounces. Could be wrong that's where I got the 2lbs heavier at 6.6lbs total.

Pretty sure the recon is 5.6lbs and the anvil is 15ounces. Could be wrong that's where I got the 2lbs heavier at 6.6lbs total.
Yeah looks like the recon v2 is lighter... they show 4.6lbs for the legs, so by the time you get the anvil on there and the adapter for it... maybe only 2lbs heavier.

That's still an extra 2lbs I'd rather not haul around. :)

Anyway, good luck in your search and I hope you end up with a happy setup.

Reactions: Simonsza1
Why go ¾ of the way when you could just go all the way? You'll get it back when it's time to sell anyway. NOBODY that's trying to "save a little money" ever considers resale in their equations.

That's a deal breaker for me, even if they had the same capabilities as an RRS.
Yeah, but see....that's your trade off, no necessarily the OP's. I note that the OP doesn't say what he wants to use it for...mountain hunting, PRS type events, spotting/ranging, whatever.

For example, I'm going to be 70 here very soon. I have bone on bone vertebrae and wasn't super kind to my body when younger.

I'm never going to shoot PRS much less an NRL Hunter type event.

So, for me personally, I could give a crap about how much it weights (within reason) and the Two Vets No Name...at 4.6 lbs, and then add 15 oz for Anvil, and I'm at 5.5 lbs. Just one pound heavier than what you cited for your RRS 33 with Anvil-30.

For what I use a tripod for....spotting and some small bit of range shooting/open field eastern white tail shooting , this is fine. May very well not be for you and the purposes for which you use a tripod.

See what I'm saying.

Cheers