• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Tripod Advice

ThatGuy01

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2023
Texas
Trying to decide what tripod to run next season. Wanting a budget friendly tripod to use at my local matches. Mainly glassing but shooting from too when applicable. Below are the two options I am conserving? What are everyone’s thoughts?

- Leofoto-sa-324c; or
- Athlon Midas CF36 (or 40)

I'd look at the Vortex lineup too. If you are going with Chinese made, at least with Vortex you can sleep well with the warranty. Who knows how that would go with Leofoto.

Reactions: Kaveman44
Trying to decide what tripod to run next season. Wanting a budget friendly tripod to use at my local matches. Mainly glassing but shooting from too when applicable. Below are the two options I am conserving? What are everyone’s thoughts?

- Leofoto-sa-324c; or
- Athlon Midas CF36 (or 40)
The Vortex Radian with ball head is a direct Leofoto clone, comes with Vortex’s customer service reputation, and is as good as any of the non RRS options out there. Buy someone’s 30% cert off here for $25 and get one from Eurooptic. It’s all the tripod you will need for a 90/10 spotting/shooting split at matches.

I went with a full Hog Saddle setup. I suck shooting off a tripod though. I've only got about an hour or two of experience doing it... really need to find a course or someone to show me what I'm doing wrong. lol.

I have used the INNOREL RT90C 4 years now with no issues. At $340 it's been a really good tripod. I use is for scoping (bag, binoculars, strap using a DIY aluminum plate) and for running as rear support in matches (My tripod is usually the "squad pod"). No matter what you get, also buy some chaps for one leg so you can run as rear support much cleaner.

Reactions: camocorvette
I have used the INNOREL RT90C 4 years now with no issues. At $340 it's been a really good tripod. I use is for scoping (bag, binoculars, strap using a DIY aluminum plate) and for running as rear support in matches (My tripod is usually the "squad pod"). No matter what you get, also buy some chaps for one leg so you can run as rear support much cleaner.

Thanks. What head are you running on it?

I run that flat head, with a plate I made screwed onto it, so I can mount my wind flag on a cheap, extendable car antennae (just drilled and tapped a hole for it) and some holes for the bungee cord to hook into on either side of the plate. Remember, if you're gonna use it as rear support as well, you need the space under the head to be clear, so generally, that hand release knob won't work. But I just place my binoculars on the bag with the bungee cord so I don't need to the head itself to swivel. I am still able to pick up the tripod and move it with the binoculars on it since the bungee holds them on the bag...Now, you're not gonna swing the thing around, but it works very well...The bag also adds weight. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• 20231212_115906.jpg
    20231212_115906.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 20231212_115915.jpg
    20231212_115915.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 82
  • 20231212_115951.jpg
    20231212_115951.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 20231212_120035.jpg
    20231212_120035.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 20231212_120043.jpg
    20231212_120043.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 77
Reactions: ThatGuy01
You will almost never shoot from a tripod anymore. Maybe some Tripod rear here and there or Rear tac table if thats your style, but its going to hold your glass 99% of the time.

Big heavy and beefy will resit wind more and be more pleasant to use. Light and thin will be easier to move but will be unstable.

A good Tripod is worth it IMO. If you are actually going to shoot from the tripod, spend the money on an RRS/Anvil30. Almost everything else is imported chinesieum and piss poor copies.

Reactions: ThatGuy01
I run that flat head, with a plate I made screwed onto it, so I can mount my wind flag on a cheap, extendable car antennae (just drilled and tapped a hole for it) and some holes for the bungee cord to hook into on either side of the plate. Remember, if you're gonna use it as rear support as well, you need the space under the head to be clear, so generally, that hand release knob won't work. But I just place my binoculars on the bag with the bungee cord so I don't need to the head itself to swivel. I am still able to pick up the tripod and move it with the binoculars on it since the bungee holds them on the bag...Now, you're not gonna swing the thing around, but it works very well...The bag also adds weight. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the detailed response. Big help!

Reactions: The4GunGuy
If the primary use is glassing at matches, I would strongly suggest a ball head. Having tension adjustable panning capability to pan your binos to various targets hands free (just push with your face) is well worth it. My leveling head sits in the parts bin. The lever-lock clamps like the Anvil and it's various knock-offs are great for shooting from, but suck to adjust and pan with for glassing if you don't have two hands free.

I would be astounded if Leofoto isn't the OEM for every other manufacturer in that price range, including Vortex. They are way better than the super cheap chinese stuff like Innorel (I've had 2 of those), but not quite as slick as the Two Vets offerings.

If you don't need it to pack up short, go for an inverted tripod if your budget allows. They are more rigid (fewer sections), deploy and adjust way easier. I'm running an SO-362C with their LH-55 ball head. It's a great combo.

If weight isn't a big concern, go for at least 36mm legs if you want stability. In my experience, stability aids in clarity. The best glass on a flimsy tripod is worthless. Cheap glass on a stiff tripod is very usable.

Have the Athlon Midas CF36, works nice overall. Will say it's a bit on the lighter side and in hindsight something heavier might be nice. I will say, from the handful of PRS22 matches I did last year I think one stage actually needed a tripod, so if only for stages, not really needed. For a table, would be good, add a Mub Mod Dos, add on binos, wind flag, kestrel, etc, also the handy AG tripod caddy for Inspector Gadget level organization options.

I recently bought a second Leofoto tripod with 4 leg segments like the Leofoto-sa-324c you're thinking about. I got it specifically for matches where more hiking is involved. I can fold this up and throw it on the side of my pack for easy transport and then set it back up when I get where I am going. When I go to local matches, I take my larger, 2 segment tripod with the panning head and all that fancy stuff.

So what booth are you FieldOpticsResearch at Shot Show.? Somebody please shoot some video of this an step in on it for some feedback an opinion.
Hey Jeff we are booth #20053 at SHOTSHOW this year! We really look forward to meeting you guys at the show! Come check us out and come get a good price at the show!