• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tripod Advice

ThatGuy01

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2023
Texas
Trying to decide what tripod to run next season. Wanting a budget friendly tripod to use at my local matches. Mainly glassing but shooting from too when applicable. Below are the two options I am conserving? What are everyone’s thoughts?

- Leofoto-sa-324c; or
- Athlon Midas CF36 (or 40)

Obviously RRS is the gold standard. But not in everyone's budget. If you can afford a Two Vets, they are a good option.

If you can only choose between the two listed, as much as I dislike recommending Leofoto due to their tendency to knock off RRS and others.......the Leofoto is the better choice.

The Leofoto will take good care of you, I have the LS-364C and it's been solid. I did recently add a Two Vets QDT V2 LS I because it's faster and more stable, but it's twice the price of the Leofoto.

Depending on the head you plan to run, I'd think about going up to the LS-364C, as it's a similar setup but thicker legs and higher "rated" load. There's an eBay listing for new ones at $210, which is a fairly absurd price but the seller seems to have solid reviews.

get the SA-403C or the SA-364CL

SO-322 or SO-362 are also good options if you mainly shoot PRS style matches

I do not have much experience with CF tripods, I have once tested like 3K RRS set and it was very solid.

CF has tendency to remove shakyness but if you are not carrying it for miles, an aluminum made could be a lot more stabile and cost less for the same (or better) performance?

I wanted an RRS - but I am a poor so I had to do what poors do, research and watch shit ton of reviews and finally I decide on the Athlon CF32.
Ha. That’s exactly what I’m doing. Do you feel it’s sturdy enough to do everything?

I’m having good luck with fatboy, after they were recommended on here

Ha. That’s exactly what I’m doing. Do you feel it’s sturdy enough to do everything?
For me it is, I use it mostly for spotting scope, binos, camera and I have shot my 22LR rifle using the ball head and it weighs about 12lbs - no issues there. See the link below, the reviewer put his full body weight on the tripod and it held him.

CF32 Review

You get a lot of extras for the money.

Not to belabor the point but the RRS is something I would sacrifice a lot to get. Like sell and extra rifle or scope, work a couple of extra weekends etc. It works great and last seemingly forever under daily use. If you can, find the funds.

If you have young kids who shoot the tripod is a great help. If you shoot in high grass standing it helps.

The lesser tripods are not as user friendly, as steady or as durable as the RRS. If you get one you will never regret it.

Last edited:
Check out some of our options. In between a Leofoto and RRS as far as pricing goes. Quality is above both! Newer technology than both! Give us a look!

1703179290824.png

I like my PVA Comp 40/RRS Anvil combo. But I mainly use mine for field work and not PRS

So I went with the Shadowtech Hog Saddle, tripod, and ball head a year back and it's been alright for me. I recently started looking at Two Vets though and they have some nice options. RRS is top tier though. If you can afford RRS, do that. Otherwise Two Vets will likely get you what you need.

Reactions: ThatGuy01
I’m enjoying the SA-403C. This thing is rock solid. I think 40 mm will eventually become the new standard.

Reactions: ThatGuy01
What head are you running? And do you like it (the head)?
leofoto MA-40. It’s a RRS-clone of the Anvil-style ball head. I really like it. Super tight and smooth. Can’t speak to longevity yet though…

leofoto MA-40. It’s a RRS-clone of the Anvil-style ball head. I really like it. Super tight and smooth. Can’t speak to longevity yet though…
Looking at the specs its max height is just shy of 61” (not including the head). Do you find it to be tall enough? I will be doing a lot of standing and glassing. Thanks for answering all these questions!

Looking at the specs its max height is just shy of 61” (not including the head). Do you find it to be tall enough? I will be doing a lot of standing and glassing. Thanks for answering all these questions!

Whatever head you put on it will be another few inches taller. If you're using an angled spotter, that will be fine. Shooting off a tripod, you'll always want the head around the middle of your chest, so that also is fine.

The only possibly issue would be straight spotters and binos. But if you use something like the outdoorsmans bino stud, that also adds another couple inches.

If you're around 6ft tall, the 61" will likely be enough. If you're a very tall person, it might be right at the edge when using a straight body spotter.

Reactions: Newbie2020