• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tripod and head for spotting scope

jcw001

Private
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2022
USA
I am trying to find a good match for my Kowa 88a. My hope is to find a good rig that will work well at the range (100-300 yd) and while walking around glassing ahead of the season and following various little creatures I should spot along the way.

I am currently thinking about Gitzo GT3532 with a Gitzo GHF2W or Manfrotto MVH500AH. I will not be using this for my rifles. Does this sound like a good combo?

You're on the right track. Ball heads and leveling heads work well for rifles, but ball heads kinda suck for spotting scope use, and leveling heads aren't much better.

Reactions: jcw001
I personally own and use this celestron tripod for spotting scopes, camera's etc.

It has its own windage and elevation adjustments as opposed to a ball head or a leveling head. Very stable despite being lightweight. If it is windy out I attach a home made 20 pound weight to the center bracket that really helps with high magnification spotters.

Usually I can find it on amazon but here it is on ebay.

Reactions: jcw001
I personally own and use this celestron tripod for spotting scopes, camera's etc.

It has its own windage and elevation adjustments as opposed to a ball head or a leveling head. Very stable despite being lightweight. If it is windy out I attach a home made 20 pound weight to the center bracket that really helps with high magnification spotters.

Usually I can find it on amazon but here it is on ebay.

That looks like a good deal. Can you confirm it’s 35” folded? I need to be able to put this in a suitcase when I travel. Thanks!

Might be a bit, I am on vacation and will not be home until tomorrow.

I also think that the head is removable although I cannot say that I have ever taken it off. Plus mine is over 20 years old.

Here is a you tube video with amazon link

I can confirm that it is 35 inches collapsed (as opposed to folded).

The head does not come off too easily. looks like a 3/4 inch or larger nut is holding it on.

Not sure this would be the best choice to put in a suitcase, it is about 8 inches in diameter.