• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tripod choice confirmation

Gledeasy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2012
Nephi, UT U.S.A.
I'm not afraid to pay for quality and RRS seems to be the best of the best for tripods. I'm curious which setup would be best for my application.

I am more of a hunter than competitive shooter. Hence the majority of my tripod use has been for glassing and not shooting. My oldest, currently 11 and weighing 85 pounds, has a couple big game tags this year. I'm thinking being able to shoot from a tripod could be beneficial for him. We went out shooting bigger calibers for his first time today, which he surprised me with his accuracy. The bench at the range is not geared to kids, so we mostly used a sirui tripod/head with a pig saddle that I've owned for a while. Obviously, this didn't lead to the most stable rest.

For my glassing I use an outdoorsmans medium tripod and mini pan head. I really like the compactness of the system as it doesn't take much space on the pack. At 6'1" I do use a center column extension for when I'm standing.

What I would like is a solid tripod that is not too heavy, but more so isn't super big in the space it takes up. If I can shoot and glass from it while standing all the better.

From my searching I'm thinking the rrs tfct-24l with anvil 30 head would be the ticket? Any other suggestions, etc?

Thanks

I have a 24L. I’m a hunter, non prs type shooter yet. I’m 6’1” and it’s plenty tall. It is quality and relatively light. It is quite long/bulky in a pack though. I find myself wishing I had something shorter for up to kneeling to shoot, depending on the situations. I could probably give up a foot of max height and still comfortably shoot standing, but not glass standing.

In other words, I agree it’s what you’re looking for as I’m unaware of anything that competes with it and is slightly shorter.

Reactions: Gledeasy