• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tripod claw feet - actually need or just look cool

45cal4life

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2005
Arkansas
For those that have "claw feet", do you feel you actually need them or do they just look cool??? Rocks, gravel or ice, I can see that. Dirt or grass, can't see any down side other than having to clean off the dirt or grass.

I have hawk hill feet on my harris. It is a huge improvement. The rubber feet bounce and slide on everything, especially concrete or a bench. In my opinion they are a must have.

Only time they aren’t worth it are if you’re on something metal, I.e. truck bed or flatbed. Everywhere else they’re an improvement

Made all the difference. I was going to sell my atlas before I got the hawk hill feet. Now I’m happy enough with it that I bought their new model bipod also. And yes, I did order the hawk hill feet for it also.

The hawk hill feet were a great improvement, they even bite into concrete shooting benches.

Hawk hills are amazing, my experience is the same as the others. Would consider them a must have.

I have Hawk Hills on all my bipods. The only time they weren't awesome, was when shooting off a smooth finished concrete pad in freezing rain. They skated around like Dorothy Hamill after every shot. Rubber feet wouldn't have helped. I had to switch to a ruck to stabilize the gun. Other than that, they have been rock solid.

Thans funny :) I have some I could part with.. They are amazing for many surfaces, just not all. Soft soil, sand, farm soil unwatered and snow the regular feet somehow seem better. It makes little sense to me, but thats what I see.

New or used?

Hawk Hill on all of my bipods. Highly recommend.

New or used?
All used I have maybe 10 sets, on various bipods.. just like damn scopes..

anyway not trying to sell anything but I like both the stock Atlas feet and the Hawk Hill. But I could part with some f the deal was fair to both parties..

Everyone responded about bipods... but the OP was asking about tripods?

BTW - I have Hawk Hills for my Atlas, too. But, I find that I like the rubber feet better on concrete. For me, the gun jumps around on concrete with the Hawk Hills. Every other surface, though, they're magic.

I agree on the ultra smooth stuff, except add metal. And with the soft loose stuff I mentioned, the sharper edges dig in under recoil and I find in need to adjust the the legs to compensate.

I find the same - usually, I can get them to dig in a bit before firing a shot, and that resolves the issue, generally.

Because he mentioned Hawkhill we all assume he means Bipod..

Unless he edited his post, no mention of Hawk Hill in the OP... "For those that have "claw feet", do you feel you actually need them or do they just look cool??? Rocks, gravel or ice, I can see that. Dirt or grass, can't see any down side other than having to clean off the dirt or grass."

:LOL:

I don't have claws for my tripod, yet, but based on my experiences with the bipod and with using the tripod in the field with a camera, I'm likely going to pick a set up. I believe the RRS claws will fit my Gitzo sticks, so...

Davere is correct, I was asking about a tripod. The bipod info is a bonus!!! Since shooting off the tripod I haven't used the Atlas. For me, sitting is so much easier and comfortable compared to prone. Plus it helps to get the rifle above the grass, weeds and crap in general.

For our tripods; I use our rock claws alot, but always have the rubber feet with me as well.

General rule for me, man-made shooting platforms are good with the rubber feet. Natural terrain i use the rock claws.

For tripod I have short and long steel spikes. Short are great for gravel and concrete and the long for dirt, ice, inclines etc....