• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear Tripod: Field Optics VS RRS

Voroshilovsky

I am the Voroshilovsky strelok.
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2020
Colorado
I’m leaning towards getting a Field Optics Research PRO39-MIL tripod ($900 at https://www.brinkexcursions.com/store/p196/PRO39-MILs-x45153739.html), and saving $500 over an RRS (or Two Vets) with Anvil-30. Thoughts and recommendations?

I’ll use this almost exclusively for matches and at the range. I want to be able to switch quickly between my AXSR and my aluminium rail that carries a spotting scope, LRF, iPhone, etc. I’m not wild about ball heads that might need two hands to set them properly.

In terms of budget, I really don’t want to blow $1400 if $900 will do the job. In fact, I nearly went for the Vortex Radian until I heard about the FOR.

I’ve been told the Anvil-30 is the shit, but the levelling head on the FOR offers +/-20 degrees of angle, which seems like enough for me.

Supposedly, the FOR has a load capacity of 145 lbs and the RRS only 80 lbs. How can this be explained? Is this the capacity of the FOR legs alone vs the RRS with head?

Would appreciate your thoughts.

I don't put a whole lot of stock in weight ratings when comparing company A to company B... I don't think there is an industry testing standard. each company seems to be a little different... generally speaking it seems leg diameter and the ball head size generally plays the biggest part

I can't speak for the FOR... but the RRS+Anvil-30 is what I have and it's been great.

Reactions: Voroshilovsky
i don't know what they are rating, but the 30mm anvil vs 75mm leveling bowl is what i would assume (more mechanical leverage).
in any case, i don't need more that 80lbs so this in not a factor for me at the moment.
i like being able to point the rifle at the ground with the ball head, but everyone doesn't necessarily need the extra range of motion,
i do know some people like their leveling head, and for some, it can take a while to get used to the lever and getting the perfect tension.
although around here i am considered "a poor", i am also a buy once, cry once type that can rationalize anything.

if i die from omicron, at least my family will get some good kit that people will pay a decent price for, lol. :ROFLMAO:

i don't know what they are rating, but the 30mm anvil vs 75mm leveling bowl is what i would assume (more mechanical leverage).
in any case, i don't need more that 80lbs so this in not a factor for me at the moment.
i like being able to point the rifle at the ground with the ball head, but everyone doesn't necessarily need the extra range of motion,
i do know some people like their leveling head, and for some, it can take a while to get used to the lever and getting the perfect tension.
although around here i am considered "a poor", i am also a buy once, cry once type that can rationalize anything.

if i die from omicron, at least my family will get some good kit that people will pay a decent price for, lol. :ROFLMAO:
7.5 pounds is a shit ton of weight, especially"if" you ever plan on trying a match or even a hunt in the future where you need to carry all your gear. Our Local match is only a 1.5mile walk and we see many people never coming back after the walk because they get gassed just walking because they are overloaded.

Also if you're ever planning on NRLX or even a match on a square range where you need to use the tripod as rear support when you are on your knees that almost 2X the weight or the RRS anvil, makes it much harder/slower to move the tripod into place when you just have the bottom of the leg to grab on an errect tripod if you have to lift it over obstacles like tires or 4x4s that some MD put in place just for that purpose.

My point is don't just buy something because all you do is "x" today, think about what your needs might morph into years down the road.

7.5 pounds is a shit ton of weight, especially"if" you ever plan on trying a match or even a hunt in the future where you need to carry all your gear. Our Local match is only a 1.5mile walk and we see many people never coming back after the walk because they get gassed just walking because they are overloaded.

Also if you're ever planning on NRLX or even a match on a square range where you need to use the tripod as rear support when you are on your knees that almost 2X the weight or the RRS anvil, makes it much harder/slower to move the tripod into place when you just have the bottom of the leg to grab on an errect tripod if you have to lift it over obstacles like tires or 4x4s that some MD put in place just for that purpose.

My point is don't just buy something because all you do is "x" today, think about what your needs might morph into years down the road.
Thanks, guys. I decided to pull the trigger on an RRS TFCT- ANVIL-30 ARC.

congrats on your christmas present.
one tip i can give is spend some time initially with your rifle mounted to get the tension around 3-5lbs of push at the stock to move the rifle.
many people get frustrated because moving the lever too much makes it "floppy" and the trick is to find the sweet spot area of the lever tension, and you will quickly learn to find that spot where the rifle is held steady, but can be moved and then locked.

Solid choice. If you don’t use it enough and later decide to sell it; there are a bunch of guys on here and other club forums that will liberate it from you and the cost of your use (rental) will never be to steep.

Btw you don’t have to lock it down as tightly, even for the shot as most people do at first. Pad that with what @theLBC said while experimenting with how you work the legs and you’ll be on the fast road

Solid choice. If you don’t use it enough and later decide to sell it; there are a bunch of guys on here and other club forums that will liberate it from you and the cost of your use (rental) will never be to steep.

Btw you don’t have to lock it down as tightly, even for the shot as most people do at first. Pad that with what @theLBC said while experimenting with how you work the legs and you’ll be on the fast road
this is true. if i am moving from target to target, i don't bother.
i only lock it down if i want to pound a target quickly with mutiple shots or dump a mag on it (gas gun fun). :p

congrats on your christmas present.
one tip i can give is spend some time initially with your rifle mounted to get the tension around 3-5lbs of push at the stock to move the rifle.
many people get frustrated because moving the lever too much makes it "floppy" and the trick is to find the sweet spot area of the lever tension, and you will quickly learn to find that spot where the rifle is held steady, but can be moved and then locked.
Nobody buys me better presents than I do. I will certainly follow your advice. Thanks.