• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear Tripod for coyote hunting

bmicek

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2017
Kansas
I’m wanting to move into a sturdier tripod and I’m looking for suggestions. I think I’m wanting an Anvil 30 head unless a leveling base is just that much better, and I’m looking at the Two Vets price range of legs ($400-$650). I’m considering the Recon V2. Just making sure I’m not overlooking other options in that price range. Tripod weight is somewhat of a second criteria as it may get carried in the mountains for elk/mule deer but I’d guess 95% of its use will be predator hunting at night with a thermal.

My favorite for night hunting with out a doubt is the Primos Trigger Stick Apex. I also have a Fatboy & a Kopfjager tripod, but for night hunting I grab the Apex.
What I love about the Apex for night hunting is I can quickly adjust the legs to be the perfect height no matter what position I'm in or terrain I'm on. If I'm calling to the South and I hear howling to my left it's very easy to pick up the entire tripod, twist and squeeze the trigger and have it set up for the perfect height without having to worry about one of the legs falling into a rut.
With that being said it isn't perfect. I took off their gun clamp right away and replaced it with an Anvil 30 (replacing it with some ball head is not an option). Also it's not as sturdy as a Fatboy but its good enough for a coyote at 600. Also I learned that you need to adjust the tension of the trigger via an allen wrench in the bottom. Adjust it just tight enough where it holds the weight of the gun so the legs won't collapse. Too tight and the trigger is hard to squeeze, too loose and the legs will retract under pressure.

Reactions: omicron1792
I’m wanting to move into a sturdier tripod and I’m looking for suggestions. I think I’m wanting an Anvil 30 head unless a leveling base is just that much better, and I’m looking at the Two Vets price range of legs ($400-$650). I’m considering the Recon V2. Just making sure I’m not overlooking other options in that price range. Tripod weight is somewhat of a second criteria as it may get carried in the mountains for elk/mule deer but I’d guess 95% of its use will be predator hunting at night with a thermal.
The two vets/anvil 30 is an awesome combo for coyote hunting. I really like the gas pedal on the anvil 30 compared to a ball head especially at night less controls to mess with. Put some loctite on it and tighten down. We use the two section 2vets just one less leg to mess with while calling and setting up. I have thought about getting the recon as well since I fly quite a bit, the two section tripod is not good for that.

I’m running the innorel rt90c paired with an rrs leveling head. It has been a big improvement over the death grip with a cheap amazon ball head.

NOTHING is as stable as a leveling head, period. I own or have messed with every major player in the game I my suggestion is a Fatbot invert 2 section with the Levitate head, next option would be a 2vets with the same leveling head, lastly would be a RRS. The Anvil 30 is nice and would be my choice if I needed more vertical travel than a leveling head but I'm yet to be in that situation from the Midwest to the Rockies....

Reactions: DIBBS and bmicek