• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Tripod for spotting scope?

AZ.noob

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
I'm just getting my feet wet in F-class, thus the noobie question.
What are you guys/gals using for spotting scope tripods?
Pros/cons?

Moderators- if this belongs in a different subforum, oops.

I use a First Strike spotter stand. When I compared apples to apples, it seemed like the best buy out there. It is very well built and rock solid. I couldn't be happier. I had them make another spotter mount that put my scope further out to be able to see through it while in position.

I use the Ray-Vin F-Stand with outrigger and an Eliseo spotting scope head. I am very happy with it. This isn't the best picture because my hat is blocking the outrigger and most of the scope head, but you get the idea. You want your spotting scope lined up so you can look through both it and your rifles scope at the same time. At first it may seem like information overload, but this will help to keep you from missing reversals and let-offs. Focus the scope at 2/3 - 3/4 of the distance you are shooting and you will enjoy the benefit of an additional wind indicator that is usually much more accurate than the flags, which take a couple of seconds to drop or switch directions.

w6lq.jpg

Creedmoor polecat, Ray-Vins, and a few others are popular. As Ryan mentioned, you need a stand that allows you to use the spotter while shooting: left eye in spotter & right eye in rifle scope.