• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tripod Head comparison - RRS Anvil 30 vs. Ashbury RSTA II vs ZRO Delta DCLW

Zeus0390

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2014
Any of you guys have experience using all three of these tripod heads? If so, which tripod would you say gives you the best stability and ability to track moving targets?

I know you are looking for people with experience with all 3, I only have experience with the Anvil 30 but it is very impressive. I don't see how either of the other 2 could be any better. It's an absolute game changer IMO. Incredibly tight lock up, while still be able to loosen the tension lever and really dial in the exact amount of tension you are looking for. Pans and tilts very smooth while under tension to track targets.

I have the Anvil 30 and I agree that it is a really nice tripod mount, but it's not without it's drawbacks. As much as I like using the Anvil 30, I am always open to better options. I am a bit of a gear junkie and have not had the pleasure of testing the RSTA II or DCLW out yet.

Anvil 30 is better than the RSTA, keep in mind that most gripes about the Anvil are mission based.

It's not the smoothest panning/adjusting head for a spotter for example, but that's not what it's really for... either.

For shooting a rifle off of there is no better head than the Anvil 30. If you also want to spot with it, you might want to look at higher end ball or geared heads.

I have and use the Anvil 30 for shooting and spotting and for shooting it is probably the best on the market right now. For spotting it works but there are better ballheads for spotting. I use it for both because I don't want to have to lug another tripod to a match just for spotting.

I don't have either the RSTA II or the ZRO but looking at their product webpages, the RSTA II comes with a cheap Manfrotto tripod and the quick release is the Manfrotto which I have a few and they work, but their not very rigid QD mounts compared to the RRS/Arca mounts on the Anvil 30. The ZRO has a picatinny mount for the spotting scope, which I think is not as flexible or adaptable as the RRS/Arca mounts.

Each has a plus/minus. The Anvil is very sturdy and smooth panning with a rifle, you can use an Arca type plate or a Pic rail. The RSTA is also very sturdy, it has a larger lever for locking/unlocking and pans well. It's much more bulky that the Anvil and is limited to the Manfrotto plate. If you don't have a good plate mounting system on your rifle, that can be a weak point. the DCLW is even more bulky and in my view, a bit harder to adjust. It's Pic rail only.

None of these are very goo for a spotting scope, though they can be used. The Anvil is what I'd use if I had only one.

I have a couple anvils and RSTAs. I have Sawtooth adapter plates for the RSTA to use a RRS clamp. I like the compactness of the Anvil for hiking and hunting. I have a 10 year old that shoots off of the tripod exclusively and we use the Anvil mainly because he is used to it and im the one toting it and his gun around.
I prefer the RSTA heads mainly because ive used them more but weight and the overall size keep use limited to short hikes, close to the truck work and home use. Great lockup on these as well.
No experience with the ZRO head.
Neither are better than a BH 55 photo head for spotter use though.

If i had to pick between the APO and the Anvil. Nod would go to the Anvil based mainly on size and weight. That being said im not letting my RSTAs go as they still get used alot and both function equally as well. Comes down to form and intended use.