• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tripod Head for Spotter

aaronk

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2018
Washington
I've currently got a Vortex Pro GT tripod with their pan/tilt head. One of my complaints is that the spotter moves a little after locking down the pan/tilt handle. I don't mind it right now, but I'm going to be picking up a ranging reticle in the near future and I know this is going to drive me crazy with the reticle. Any recommendations on a different style head that'll keep the spotter in place after locking it down? I know a better tripod with no center column would help, but I'm still kicking around which system to go with as ideally I'd like one sturdy enough to mount a rifle to but light enough and small enough to pack in on backcountry hunts for spotting.

I think you need a Ball mount because you can adjust the tension to match the weight of the scope and you can pan and tilt at will, Not only that some times it is not always easy to get the tripod level and a Ball mount will allow for that.

hope that helps.

John.

Look at the Manfrotto 410 junior geared head. ( I was watching Walt Wilkins and had to ask him what he was using)

It's a little different to get used too however very, very stable. The adjustments are very smooth. You have way more fine control for adjustment and you can line it up much easier for calls.

I have used high quality ball heads, pistol grips, and Gimble heads, ( used to do lots of photography with the 300mm, 500mm and 600mm larger lenses) and this fits the bill the best for spotting hits and calling adjustments in my opinion. Of course we are all different just giving some ideas.

Reactions: jeffmedlin
Manfroto gear head is the single best upgrade I've made for my spotting scope. Worth it.

i considered a geared style for my glassing 400+ thru thickets . precise adjustments but i never tried one and wish i could before buying, thats what made me go with what i know works good for panning and staying on moving dead animals.

I use a Slik AF 1100E pistol grip and a Manfrotto 410, I can't say which I like more, they both are great and there is no spotter droop with either. A ball head is no match for either of them.

I agree. A geared head would be the best choice. Give me or Jeff a call at 516-217-1000 to discuss. As always we will do the best we can as you are a forum member

Joel

Reactions: J.Austin316