• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Tripod head questions

Dfarmer786

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2011
Az
So I'm looking to upgrade to a better setup than my slik tripod. It's super light but just not stable enough. I'm looking for a head to use on a manfrotto 190 until I upgrade to a better tripod.

Obviously money is an issue or I would have already ordered RRS. The head tripod setup will be used 50/50 for shooting and hunting\glassing. I want a do all setup.

Im considering either the feisol cb-50dc or the sirui k-40x heads. If anyone has used both or with one please chime in. I have a friend that has an outdoorsman head that the thing is flat out solid and smooth. Just not sure how the adjustments would be with a bolt gun. Also it's almost 400$. Fwiw my LRI 6.5cm is the heaviest gun I own at 14lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can only comment on the RRS ballhead......I bought mine about 4 years ago. It was painful from a $$ standpoint, but it is a work of art! Cry once.....

Having said that, I have only used it for photography. I'm not sure now it (or any ballhead) will hold up to recoil. I also bough a nice Horusbennu carbon fiber tripod off of fleabay;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HORUSBE...od-/260868499363?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:1123

After looking around for a longtime, I bough the Horusbennu based on price. I think the Gitzo carbon fiber tripods are $700 to $800 and the RRS carbon fiber tripods are about a grand. They make beautiful stuff, but that's too much for even me to choke down.

I'm also using a RRS leveling base. It's better than my old Manfrotto magnesium ballhead, but like Threadcutter said, it's pricey. That's not to say my Manfrotto wasn't stable. It did very well for me and a bunch of other shooters for a very long time. I had a Hog Saddle on my ballhead and it did really well in matches and hunts, but if you can find something like the RRS leveling base and a direct mount plate for your rifle, it really feels more stable. I have my Manfrotto ballhead for sale, so I'd you're interested, let me know and I can send you some pics

Check out the HogSaddle web store. They carry Sunwayfoto ballheads, I own the larger of the two. It has worked great for me that includes a 24lb 338lm rifle. It has the features of all the other ballheads out there at a lower price point.

Check out the HogSaddle web store. They carry Sunwayfoto ballheads, I own the larger of the two. It has worked great for me and that includes a 24lb 338lm rifle. It has the features of all the other ballheads out there at a lower price point.

Thx guys. How would the rrs levelin head do while glassing with binos? Is there enough movement in it?

The RRS leveling base gives you 15° of elevation and 15° of declination. It's a lot more movement than you'd think. 15° is good for 99% of your needs before you'll have to adjust the legs to give you more movement

I also run the RRS leveling base. I have the TA-3 which sits down in the tripod with the handle underneath. I find that it works really well with binos, but I don't use any sort of attachment. I just place the binos right on top of the flat part of the head, then place my inner forearms and elbows on each side on a tripod leg with the third tripod leg facing straight out away from me. It's incredibly stable and I don't feel like I need any sort of attachment or post to physically lock the binos into the tripod head. I'm sure if you had one it would work great, but I just don't see the need for it.

I do use my spotter on the RRS leveling base and it's really nice to have the handle underneath to help you "point" the spotting scope as you move from target to target.

Oh, and something that you will want is a tripod whose legs don't rotate when you are locking/unlocking them. On some that rotate, you have to hold the moving leg so that it doesn't rotate while you're trying to lock (or unlock) it. The legs on my Horusbennu don't rotate and it's much easier/faster to work with. Typically, it's the less expensive tripods whose legs rotate.

Check out the HogSaddle web store. They carry Sunwayfoto ballheads, I own the larger of the two. It has worked great for me that includes a 24lb 338lm rifle. It has the features of all the other ballheads out there at a lower price point.

This. I'm running the PRST carbon fiber with the sunwayfoto xb52DL ball head and the hog saddle. Super stable even with my heavy as AI AT all loaded up with suppressor and very smooth tracking and locking up. Couldn't justify RRS prices so it was a great middle of the compromise and price and function.

I just picked this up, only got the ball head cause it was $40 extra, tripod is carbon fiber and rated for 55#, i took out the center section (to be more stable) and tripod is still too high for standing shots ( don't need to extend bottom legs all the way, and im 5' 10") ball head is 46 mm supposedly rated for 75#, rigged this to my samson rail until i get a rifle clamp for my other guns, i was able to shoot semi rapid fire 5 shots at 100 yards into .75" group STANDING, more typical with this setup was around 1.5" groups... overall for the money this tripod is a beast, well made, light, folds up small....Ball head is sturdy, smooth, tension knob works well...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EM7289W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 snip.JPG

Sabo... that's a good deal and all but I'd rather not carry a 7lb tripod while hunting

Generally you want to keep your head as low to the apex of the legs as possible, and avoid really tall heads, or head with risers etc.

The Feisol 50DC head is very stable for a decent price which makes it a good value in my opinion.

Here is a picture of the head holding an AX50 (39 lbs) not centered with no other support. I had 2 guys make first round hits standing from this position at 1000 yards with the AX50 - which totally surprised me. The tripod and head were very stable.

AIAX50-tripod.jpg

Oh, and something that you will want is a tripod whose legs don't rotate when you are locking/unlocking them. On some that rotate, you have to hold the moving leg so that it doesn't rotate while you're trying to lock (or unlock) it. The legs on my Horusbennu don't rotate and it's much easier/faster to work with. Typically, it's the less expensive tripods whose legs rotate.

Just in case anyone is wondering, the Feisol legs don't rotate when your loosening / tightening the legs...

Hero fish is that a feisol tripod also?

Old reliable.... what setup is that

Hero fish is that a feisol tripod also?

It's the Feisol 3372, I bought my Feisol 3342 from Frederick (HeroFish) and I think it's miles better than my old Manfrotto tripod setup. If you need the higher weight rating, pay the extra $160 and get the 3372, but I think the 3342 is more than what 99% of shooters will ever need.

Last edited:
Feisol 3372/42 either one and a leveling head is the way to go. I'd suggest the TA-U-LC from RRS. I've found ballheads are not as stable as leveling heads.