• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tripod Head Suggestions

ORD

Montani Semper Liberi
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2005
Morgantown, WV, USA
Hey guys,

I posted this in the Optics/Observation Devices Forum but have received only a few views and no replies, so I thought I'd try the equipment forum and see if I might dig up any useful info.

I recently broke my aging 322RC2 grip head when I knocked my tripod off the bench and onto a concrete slab floor at the range while packing up my crap. I am considering a replacement head for my dedicated spotter tripod, a Bogen/Manfrotto 055XPROB, and I was wondering if anyone has used the new grip/joystick head from Manfrotto called the 327RC2 (seen here for example):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/680140-REG/Manfrotto_327RC2.html

I have used the 322RC2 grip head on and off for a couple years now and had I not stupidly broken it, I'd be happy to stick with it. I guess I am just wondering if this new offering from Manfrotto is worth upgrading to (for an addt'l $50) or if it has any advantages over the older generation 322RC2 head?

Also, if not the 327RC2 or the older 322RC2, has anybody used any other grip/joystick type tripod heads that they can recommend as a replacement?

Re: Tripod Head Suggestions

I have a ton of time logged with my 322RC2, never had any issues with it and ive beat it up.

Care to share what broke? Just curious as to which part of the head failed.

Hey Cory,

That was one of the things I observed (addt'l weight capacity by a lb), which I don't technically need. I just didn't want to pay the extra money if I really wasn't getting anything "more" than what I had with the 322.

As for a repair...I hadn't really thought about repairing it since I figured it was fragged. The housing for the grip was split/cracked and the "trigger"/grip release was also broken. I didn't see it land...only heard the crash...but I assume it fell the 3.5' and landed directly on the end/tip of the grip based on how it broke. I will take a look at the parts supply you listed and see if I can get what I need cheaper than a new head. I was just going to pitch it and start over, but I wouldn't complain about saving some cash and just doing a repair instead!!

I don't know much about the grip head but I have a Manfrotto Ball head manfrotto 488rc2 on a Manfrotto 055XWNB tripod and its smooth as silk works great for tracking moving objects and still objects, very stable and quick to adjust. With my camera and lens attached weight is over 14 lbs and with everything locked down there is absolutely no movement, can't go wrong with Manfrotto their quality is top notch.

I'm using a Giotto. But that is for my camera gear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm using a Giotto. But that is for my camera gear.
</div></div> Giotto's quality is pretty good too I have a Giotto monopod that I use when I want to travel light it works great.

Hey guys,

I have priced the parts for a repair from a couple places and I have requests in to a Hide vendor re: availability and price of a new or demo replacement 322RC2 unit. I am going to take the head completely apart and see if anything else is broken or appears damaged before I decide what to do...just haven't had time to fool with it yet. I will wait to see how things stack up in terms of the differences in price and I'll go from there.

Thanks again for all the good info!