• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tripod Help - spotting scope

bwp86

Private
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2018
Trenton, MO
I recently picked up a Kowa 884 spotting scope and am trying to figure out what tripod and head to go with. I want to make sure I get all of the parts needed for when it shows up. I’m leaning towards the innorel rt80c for the legs, but not sure what i need for the head. Any help would be appreciated.

I figure the tripod would be plenty stable for the spotting scope and possibly could double for shooting with a different head if I decide to do that sometime.

I recently picked up a Kowa 884 spotting scope and am trying to figure out what tripod and head to go with. I want to make sure I get all of the parts needed for when it shows up. I’m leaning towards the innorel rt80c for the legs, but not sure what i need for the head. Any help would be appreciated.

I figure the tripod would be plenty stable for the spotting scope and possibly could double for shooting with a different head if I decide to do that sometime.
a regular fluid head (separate pan and tilt) might be better for spotting, but not for shooting.
if you need to do both with one head, you want a good strong ballhead.

a regular fluid head (separate pan and tilt) might be better for spotting, but not for shooting.
if you need to do both with one head, you want a good strong ballhead.
Thanks. I’m not sure I’ll ever shoot off it…I’m mainly interested in it for the stability. My focus is definitely on the spotting scope.

Thanks. I’m not sure I’ll ever shoot off it…I’m mainly interested in it for the stability. My focus is definitely on the spotting scope.
i would call doug at camerlandny.com if you want advice on the best value for spotting. sturdy legs won't help if you have a wobbly head.

If you’re after a smooth, affordable head for glassing, I’d look at the Sirui VA-5. I haven’t used it with a scope that large, but it’s plenty stable with 65mm scopes for sure. Hard to beat for the price. I would not shoot off of it, fwiw.

Reactions: LE life saver
If you’re after a smooth, affordable head for glassing, I’d look at the Sirui VA-5. I haven’t used it with a scope that large, but it’s plenty stable with 65mm scopes for sure. Hard to beat for the price. I would not shoot off of it, fwiw.
I’ve read good things about the VA-5 head. It seems to be recommended a lot

The Manfrotto MHXPRO-2W is very smooth and handles 85mm spotting scopes with ease. You can set just enough tension to hold the scope, but still be able to pan and tilt.