• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tripod Recommendation

jlorensen

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2020
Kansas City
Looking for some recommendations on a tripod. Currently use a BOG Deathgrip for kneeling and sitting shots while hunting, and would like to find something equally as sturdy, but a little lighter, and a lot shorter/more compact for hiking around. I really don't ever stand to shoot, so I'm wondering if there's something out there that would work well for prone thur sitting/kneeling type height adjustments.

Thanks!

I have gone down the rabbit holes of tripods. Many weren’t out that are now and may be more competitive but … I was never disappointed with SLIK tripods. Currently Have RRS 24L.

Here is our page which has the specs to easily compare the RRS Soar tripods in the 3 series and the 22i. However the other 2 series nor the ascend are in there. I believe the ascend are more aligned with hunting applications.

Here are our specs on the larger ones:

Here is the RRS SOAR ascend page:

Reactions: jlorensen
Looking for some recommendations on a tripod. Currently use a BOG Deathgrip for kneeling and sitting shots while hunting, and would like to find something equally as sturdy, but a little lighter, and a lot shorter/more compact for hiking around. I really don't ever stand to shoot, so I'm wondering if there's something out there that would work well for prone thur sitting/kneeling type height adjustments.

Thanks!
I am a photographer. I know tripods. Simple answer: You have to eliminate vibrations and movement which only happens as the legs get bigger. Carbon fiber is key because this is accomplished without increasing weight too much. Leg locking is also important. Friction locks are best and some are not all that good.

Top of the line tripods for rifle shooting work are RRS and Gitzo. Gitzos were out many years earlier than RRS - that's why I own many. And they are cheaper (maybe not nowadays) but just as good or better, and lighter = better. I now have 3 Gitzo tripods. I've used them even to my knees in saltwater for over 15 years. Still use them. They are all bullet proof - unless you stick them in saltwater like I did a lot. I still use those but they don't close all the way +- 2-inches.

I buy them from B&H see here:

Gitzo

Get 3 leg extension tripods {series 3} - not 4 extensions. Three extensions are much sturdier than four. You want sturdy! No vibrations or movement. Don't buy light tripods. They vibrate.

Last edited:
Anyone have use or feedback in this shooting tripod:

Sunwayfoto Carbon Fiber Shooting Tripod T3240CS​

Been considering it.

I used and carry(ied) their heads/leveling bases. Nothing super special but they work. Not as well engineered as RRS stuff by any means. I had a leveling base come apart once (the internals unthreaded), but I don't really know about their CF tripods.

Additionally they are produced in China if that matters to you - where say Feisol is produced in Taiwan and RRS is produced in USA....

Need to give us some more info, as to what you will be wanting to use in top of the new tripod i.e. Hog Saddle, Leveling Base, Tac Table, etc.?

Do you prefer lever or twist lock?

For a lightweight tripod, I really like the Manfrotto 190PRO CX (Carbon Fiber) series. Less than 2.9-lbs, and very compact collapsed. I do most of my shooting off of it kneeling using a Tac Table

There are plenty of Chinese options but I prefer to spend elsewhere when possible.

RRS, Gitzo, and Manfrotto.

Reactions: goneballistic
Need to give us some more info, as to what you will be wanting to use in top of the new tripod i.e. Hog Saddle, Leveling Base, Tac Table, etc.?

Do you prefer lever or twist lock?

For a lightweight tripod, I really like the Manfrotto 190PRO CX (Carbon Fiber) series. Less than 2.9-lbs, and very compact collapsed. I do most of my shooting off of it kneeling using a
I like lever locks, but I'm torn between a saddle-type clamp and a table for hunting applications.

Thanks for the Manfrotto recommendation, I'll check that out.

I like lever locks, but I'm torn between a saddle-type clamp and a table for hunting applications.

Thanks for the Manfrotto recommendation, I'll check that out.

You'll like the Manfrotto if you prefer the lever locks. Just an FYI, the new models, designated with "MT" in the part number are not the same quality as the older generation, and the tabs to adjust the angle of the legs are harder to manipulate.

You can still find the older generation on ebay often, and here's one of two listed, but both come with heads.

As far as Tac Table vs. Saddle. You'll find the Table is faster, and can be much lighter depending on what you buy or make yourself.

I have gone down the rabbit holes of tripods. Many weren’t out that are now and may be more competitive but … I was never disappointed with SLIK tripods. Currently Have RRS 24L.
Came across the "short" Hog Saddle tripod which appears to be a SLIK model. I'm going to give it a try with a small DIY tac table and and Ebrelstock pack rest that I've had for a while......while not the lightest or fanciest, it is definitely lighter and more compact than the BOG. We'll see how it goes.

I was lucky and found a used slik 634 with a no name acceptable pan head for $200 shipped in the classifieds here. Real happy with it as my first setup, I like the twist locking legs, super efficient.

Came across the "short" Hog Saddle tripod which appears to be a SLIK model. I'm going to give it a try with a small DIY tac table and and Ebrelstock pack rest that I've had for a while......while not the lightest or fanciest, it is definitely lighter and more compact than the BOG. We'll see how it goes.
I’ve been there with the hog saddle pig and pig lite models. I really really have a preference for twist locks but it’s like reticles, you’ll know once you try

Tripod arrived yesterday, and while it's not the highest price model, I really like it compared to the BOG. Aside from it being more compact, I think the overall quality of much better. Initially, I was going to just use a bag atop the legs for hunting purposes, but I've since decided to order a ball head and give that a try. I still like the idea of a tac table set-up, so I'm still planning to DIY something and see how I like it.

While waiting for a tac table to arrive for my hog Saddle tripod, I decided to disassemble my deathgrip clamp, leaving just the legs......since I like to tinker, I threaded a couple washers, grabbed a bolt, and added a little ball head to the BOG legs....should work nice for a spotting scope 🙂
20221107_173237.jpg

Reactions: Alpine 338
Tac table arrived and I think I'm in good shape for hunting season. Thanks to @Drhorsepower and his son for getting this in my hands. It's a nicely finished 3D printed piece that's super light and super rigid.
20221108_184124.jpg