• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tripod setup for field matches

mjphawk

Private
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2013
Boynton Beach, FL
I am curious how people are running their tripods for field style matches. Specifically how the tripod is being utilized for both a rifle rest and for LRF binos.

I own a Two Vets 40 Mike Mike with a RRS Anvil-30 and am curious how people are setting up for field style matches. I’ve looked at the Abel Table but am unsure of the size. Is it better to climb the rifle in or run off a bag set on top?

Any recommendations or pictures would be appreciated.

E6D22831-6856-4634-8D64-20E8D780274C.jpeg

I use the L3I Break Fast Plate...4 ounces and sturdy. Direct attach to Arca which is nice no adapters. I have a lime green prototype they come in ODG and Black

Last edited:
Reactions: camocorvette
search function is your friend

Thanks for that link. I actually read that entire thread which is what got me thinking more about my setup. It's a pretty incredible thread with tons of information; however, the only thing I really saw much discussion on was the Abel Table which seems a big on the large side to be very practical in a more dynamic match (similar to the Guarding match at GTI).

I also found this one with a few ideas but again it wasn't focused on field style / dynamic matches.
Tripod Setup Options

Thanks for taking the time to share the link above and respond. It is appreciated.

Reactions: Eric32
I use my RRS 34L + Anvil 30 with a MUB MOD DOS plate and the RRS cinch strap for my binos. Super fast and easy to swap as needed by stage. Simple rock bag from Amazon serves as a shelf if I'm just using it for spotting, takes <10 seconds to remove.

I use a newer version of the L3i plate above. I'll take some pics to show how I'm using it but so far it's the right price and extremely light.

Reactions: Mechdesigner
So I just took some pics because I use this daily for dryfire. Here's how I use it for your original question.
1. A flat bag on it with my binos on top is WAY more stable than my bino mount, I just rest my hand on top of them and it's much easier to move and adjust than when its mounted as well.
2. Rear bag with pint size game changer, stock seated in the "v", can't really get that pic in my basement.
3. I lay my game changer flat and shoot on it, for my bag this is the best position to shoot from.

The pictures have a ballhead but if I want to cut weight I can attach the arca right to the tripod and it saves a pound.

Attachments

• IMG_20210315_210106_01.jpg
    IMG_20210315_210106_01.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_20210315_210103_01.jpg
    IMG_20210315_210103_01.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_20210315_210101_01.jpg
    IMG_20210315_210101_01.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_20210315_210056_01.jpg
    IMG_20210315_210056_01.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_20210315_210058_01.jpg
    IMG_20210315_210058_01.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_20210315_210051_01.jpg
    IMG_20210315_210051_01.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 328

L3I Break Fast Plate...4 ounces and sturdy. Direct attach to Arca

do you mind sharing a link to that plate? I’m not having luck finding it.
So I just took some pics because I use this daily for dryfire. Here's how I use it for your original question.
1. A flat bag on it with my binos on top is WAY more stable than my bino mount, I just rest my hand on top of them and it's much easier to move and adjust than when its mounted as well.
2. Rear bag with pint size game changer, stock seated in the "v", can't really get that pic in my basement.
3. I lay my game changer flat and shoot on it, for my bag this is the best position to shoot from.

The pictures have a ballhead but if I want to cut weight I can attach the arca right to the tripod and it saves a pound.
Would you be willing to share a link to the plate? I can't seem to find "Zero Sucks L3I plate" anywhere. Thanks.

I cut a 1/4” aluminum plate, drilled and tapped it for my leveling head to use as a stop gap till my Rrs Arca clamp shows up. Kind of same setup as above. Think I may buy a pint sized game changer and make another aluminum plate a slightly bigger size to support the bag. Also will incorporate some corded bungee to hold binos ontop of something like an flat style “x-wing” type bag.

Attachments

• 84F1E625-84AF-4D83-A5E1-A94A48E9A61B.jpeg
    84F1E625-84AF-4D83-A5E1-A94A48E9A61B.jpeg
    539 KB · Views: 295
Reactions: camocorvette
so it seems that most are using the bag rather than clamping into the leveling base/bullhead. I would presume that’s for speed of movement and reset and the versatility of going back and forth between binos and gun?

so it seems that most are using the bag rather than clamping into the leveling base/bullhead. I would presume that’s for speed of movement and reset and the versatility of going back and forth between binos and gun?

Using a bag on a tripod plate is faster to get the gun up, faster to transition targets, and more forgiving since it's hard on soft contact.

I generally only clip in if it's something extremely unstable like a reverse rooftop stage, and I need extra stability setting up the position.

I cut a 1/4” aluminum plate, drilled and tapped it for my leveling head to use as a stop gap till my Rrs Arca clamp shows up. Kind of same setup as above. Think I may buy a pint sized game changer and make another aluminum plate a slightly bigger size to support the bag. Also will incorporate some corded bungee to hold binos ontop of something like an flat style “x-wing” type bag.
Good info thanks

Reactions: demolitionman
The breakfast plate seems like a pretty economic solution. I hate the idea of more gear and bulk to ruck around, but for the added speed it makes sense.

The breakfast plate seems like a pretty economic solution. I hate the idea of more gear and bulk to ruck around, but for the added speed it makes sense.
The idea behind the breakfast plate was field matches where lighter is better. Trying to make it economical was because lots of guys only shoot maybe 1 field match a year and don't want to drop much cash on gear for it.

If someone wants to work on a small bag to fit the plates, lemme know.

Here is a friend who followed that idea and ran a bag on the tripod for everything at an NRL Hunter match, and now uses it everywhere. He just bolted the plate to his leveling base. The bag velcros on, but never really comes off.

I know Scott Satterlee is a big proponent of shooting off a bag on top of a tripod for hunting. I think that's all he used on a trip to Africa if I remember his social media on it.

The little bag is filled with Git-Lite so weighs about half a pound if memory serves me.

Attachments

• IMG_0566.jpg
    IMG_0566.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 559
  • IMG950527(1).jpg
    IMG950527(1).jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG950525(1).jpg
    IMG950525(1).jpg
    77 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG950526(1).jpg
    IMG950526(1).jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 414
If you run a ballhead, a Tacky Sack is perfect over the tip of the tripod for shooting or glassing. The legs clamp on and rubberized fabric holds it. I was doing this with kids first time hunts since 2019 cause it just works.

In NM, I ran my glass and rifle in my Anvil 30 for the hunter match a few weeks ago, but will switch to a bag for glassing and shooting for future matches. I don't think it is as stable as locked in, but the constraints of a match make it more suitable. And, accuracy is suitable.

I will probably buy a little plate like above and clamp it in my Anvil 30 with a velcroed bag on it. For some stages, I can pull it off and clamp in my rifle.

The bags I sell are here.

20181012_102025.jpg

Reactions: deersniper
Personally, I prefer to lock into the ARCA on my tripod, rather than shooting off a Game Changer on top of the tripod or a table. Just my preference. In the UKD match, we only had 6-8 minutes to find, range, and engage multiple targets. Pretty much all stages were shot off the tripod, so my tripod had to be the base for both the Bino/LRF combo; and then rapidly transition to the rifle shooting platform. Any extra time adding or moving equipment meant less time on the clock to make good shots. I spent a bit of time practicing shooting off my tripod, including messing around with it at an F-Class 1K match from standing position, to get comfortable and reasonably confident with it.
89BAFD6D-9DFA-482B-9E46-D2AACF40ABDF.jpeg

Personally, I prefer to lock into the ARCA on my tripod, rather than shooting off a Game Changer on top of the tripod or a table. Just my preference. In the UKD match, we only had 6-8 minutes to find, range, and engage multiple targets. Pretty much all stages were shot off the tripod, so my tripod had to be the base for both the Bino/LRF combo; and then rapidly transition to the rifle shooting platform. Any extra time adding or moving equipment meant less time on the clock to make good shots. I spent a bit of time practicing shooting off my tripod, including messing around with it at an F-Class 1K match from standing position, to get comfortable and reasonably confident with it.View attachment 7595682

I agree, and only shoot like that when hunting.

But, for the NRL time limits, a pad on tripod for glassing and shooting is adequate. Par time is 4 minutes in the NRL hunter.

Just finished up a bag and a small table for a few guys, and for myself for NRL hunter.

If you are interested, I will make a bunch more. I don't know whether to put it on my website or not, so lemme know if you are interested.

For guys that want to test them with a promise to give me pictures and feedback, whether good or bad, I will do $89.00 plus $9.00 shipping for a short time as beta testers of a sort. Website pricing will be higher than that.

The plate and bag together comes to 1 pound. The fill inside is Git-Lite. It is 5" square plate and the bag is about 1 3/4" tall.

It's great for glassing and for shooting. I think I am going to offer a bungee strap to lock the binos onto the bag as well. A buddy with the first one I made loves it so much he is planning on taking it hunting to glass and shoot.

20210403_191904.jpg

20210403_190321.jpg
20210403_191904.jpg
20210403_185658.jpg
20210403_185707.jpg
20210403_190304.jpg

Definitely put a strap on it since I found that I like to leave my binos strapped in when I move from stage to stage. I actually used one of your flat bags and the strap goes tight over the breakfast plate posted above. Is your plate made of delrin, uhmw or aluminum? Want to make a bag that fits the breakfast plate? Lolol

Reactions: hereinaz
Definitely put a strap on it since I found that I like to leave my binos strapped in when I move from stage to stage. I actually used one of your flat bags and the strap goes tight over the breakfast plate posted above. Is your plate made of delrin, uhmw or aluminum? Want to make a bag that fits the breakfast plate? Lolol

Yeah, as I think about it more, I am gonna make a strap. I will sew rubberized nylon into the strap or use a grippy neoprene to grip the binos and have a simple hook or buckle.

You think a plastic buckle or just a bungee with a hook?

For yours, I can sew the strap into the bag. And, I can make a bag to fit, no problem. What's the size for it?

The plate is some HDPE I had. Works great. I am gonna work out a production model.

I made my test plate out of plywood and a cheap 2” arca plate, then added a Velcro strap to hold the bino’s on. Ugly, but light & works.

That DIY plate looks good.

I have a kit worked out that could use a couple more beta testers. PM is interested. Discount on this and get the new one at cost if you want.

Weighs 1 pound total or less. Plate is 5x5 and bag is waxed canvas with Git-Lite, and a strap with elastic for binos.

Pics are a work in progress, may change a bit by the time it ships next week.

@hereinaz I might be interested in trying one. Might have to see some photos of the strap on top

I am playing with designs, but whatever strap I end up with will be awesome, lol.

I am trying to see what is a minimum and what will be enough. Keep weight and manufacturing down. So far, a simple strap works. I am playing with a strap that is part neoprene that is stretchy and very grippy.

20210404_072856.jpg
20210404_072545.jpg

I’d be interested in being a lab rat, what info would you be looking for from your testers? Not expecting to run any field comps soon, but my tripod rig is definitely hunting-focused and the bag seems light and fast.

Playing around getting ready for NRLH...
Think I can start at kneeling every time and only extend the tripod if needed.
PSGC on Abel table is solid. 14lb .308 in pic.
PXL_20210403_150542944.MP.jpg

I run a rrs 34L with the anvil 55. I rarely clamp in anymore, I prefer to run my full size Gamechanger on top of the ball head. I don’t have a table yet so for now this is my go to method.
62CDCD06-9E23-49F7-816C-F07747348DAE.jpeg

I run a rrs 34L with the anvil 55. I rarely clamp in anymore, I prefer to run my full size Gamechanger on top of the ball head. I don’t have a table yet so for now this is my go to method.View attachment 7599307
To me the table is a benefit to me because I run a pint size game changer or a tacky sack, both are much smaller than the full size. If I used my full size I'm not sure the plate would make much of a difference.

Thanks for that link. I actually read that entire thread which is what got me thinking more about my setup. It's a pretty incredible thread with tons of information; however, the only thing I really saw much discussion on was the Abel Table which seems a big on the large side to be very practical in a more dynamic match (similar to the Guarding match at GTI).

I also found this one with a few ideas but again it wasn't focused on field style / dynamic matches.
Tripod Setup Options

Thanks for taking the time to share the link above and respond. It is appreciated.
I'd say I use my tripod on one stage per match at the most. If I see someone else in the squad carrying one I'll leave mine in the car. If no one has an RRS or equivalent I'll carry mine for the squad, but this is by no means essential kit, and if I can't pre-deploy on a stage I will only mess with it as a stable point to throw a game changer over.

I think it is so heavy and bulky anyway you are not going to even notice an Able Table.

Full size gamechanger on top of my Anvil 30 works well for me too. I found it really stable this way and was engaging targets out to 500 yds. This is the setup I'll be experimenting with at the upcoming NRL Hunter match.

Attachments

• tripod.jpg
    tripod.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 296
Reactions: D_TROS
I missed the responses and have been away for a few weeks. I ordered the L3I Break Fast plate. Not completely satisfied with it. It is light and feels sturdy enough but the arca rail is too narrow for my Anvil-30. I’m not sure if I just got a bad one or they are all the same. If I were using a ball head without the QD where you tighten down using a knob then it would be great, but I don’t want to give up my Anvil 30 just to be able to run this plate.

I am playing with designs, but whatever strap I end up with will be awesome, lol.

I am trying to see what is a minimum and what will be enough. Keep weight and manufacturing down. So far, a simple strap works. I am playing with a strap that is part neoprene that is stretchy and very grippy.

View attachment 7598971View attachment 7598973
You have a PM. That looks like a slick and simple setup.

I missed the responses and have been away for a few weeks. I ordered the L3I Break Fast plate. Not completely satisfied with it. It is light and feels sturdy enough but the arca rail is too narrow for my Anvil-30. I’m not sure if I just got a bad one or they are all the same. If I were using a ball head without the QD where you tighten down using a knob then it would be great, but I don’t want to give up my Anvil 30 just to be able to run this plate.
Contact them on this. We actually found that the tolerance between each manufacture us pretty big and the design was enlarged. It was tested using multiple arca clamps but the testers were all using field optics like mine, RRS or 2 vets.

also seem to be the minority. Last week at the NRL Hunter match I shot off the tripod almost every stage. I just *gasp* clamp into the tripod with my binos, then when done finding targets, I clamp in my rifle. works pretty good lol.

It can be argued that bag on top is faster and that would be correct...I just do what I shoot better doing and that is clamped in. Slow hits are worth 100% more than fast misses.

GL!
DT

Reactions: kthomas and 260284
I used the setup in my above photo in the TN NRL Hunter match. It worked well both standing and kneeling positions and any misses were not the fault of the setup. 100% on the shooter.

That rifle is a 6.5x55 hunting rifle and I received several thumbs up from ROs when they saw it was a top loader. I shot it because it easily made power factor with 140gr Hornady BTHPs.

I'll switch up a bit at Steel Safari and clamp the rifle into the Anvil-30 because I have an arca rail on my match rifle and I expect some of the shots to be longer distance and smaller targets.

And the Vortex Fury 5000 AB binos worked very well for a immediate ranging and fast shooting solution. The elevation correction takes about 3 sec to display and that takes a little getting used to. Definitely wish it were a little faster. With the binos clamped into the tripod it was very easy and stable to get them on target and get a range. I saw at least 4 other competitors with the same binocs.

Reactions: 260284 and D_TROS
I had this exact same problem with mine in a vortex ball head....with the knob. The clamp would bottom out before actually gripping the rail. I reached out on Facebook and they said they would send me a new one with a wider rail but I haven’t seen anything yet.

I had this exact same problem with mine in a vortex ball head....with the knob. The clamp would bottom out before actually gripping the rail. I reached out on Facebook and they said they would send me a new one with a wider rail but I haven’t seen anything yet.
I'll follow up for you. He's a good guy and doing all of the design work as well. I'm sure he's in top of it but I'll confirm since I suggested it.

I'll follow up for you. He's a good guy and doing all of the design work as well. I'm sure he's in top of it but I'll confirm since I suggested it.
The post above actually reminded me to follow up. I wasn’t stressing about it at all. He said he’ll send out a new one in the next day or so. My point to the above was “get in touch, he’ll take care of you.”

I also ordered a L3I Break Fast plate and the Arca is too narrow for my RRS Anvil. I currently have it shimmed with masking tape it’s close but no cigar. I’ve sent an email just waiting on a reply.

Last edited:
I had the same experience with L3I. I reached out on Instagram (couldn’t find email) and they responded offering to replace. They mentioned they were tweaking the specs.

I am curious how people are running their tripods for field style matches. Specifically how the tripod is being utilized for both a rifle rest and for LRF binos.

I own a Two Vets 40 Mike Mike with a RRS Anvil-30 and am curious how people are setting up for field style matches. I’ve looked at the Abel Table but am unsure of the size. Is it better to climb the rifle in or run off a bag set on top?

Any recommendations or pictures would be appreciated.
I run my rrs 34 with the anvil. I start with my binos attached to my tripod and I have that in my scabbard. It makes it easy to pull out, range targets, and then have the tripod setup close enough to reacquire the targets.

I run my rrs 34 with the anvil. I start with my binos attached to my tripod and I have that in my scabbard. It makes it easy to pull out, range targets, and then have the tripod setup close enough to reacquire the targets.
What scabbard are you using? Purchase or DIY. Pics?
I’m working on one now but am not thrilled with the weight and may look to change the design a bit.

Yeah, as I think about it more, I am gonna make a strap. I will sew rubberized nylon into the strap or use a grippy neoprene to grip the binos and have a simple hook or buckle.

You think a plastic buckle or just a bungee with a hook?

For yours, I can sew the strap into the bag. And, I can make a bag to fit, no problem. What's the size for it?

The plate is some HDPE I had. Works great. I am gonna work out a production model.
@hereinaz How did testing go with this bag/plate? The first prototype looks great and the strap seems like a great addition.

Reactions: mjphawk
Just finished up a bag and a small table for a few guys, and for myself for NRL hunter.

If you are interested, I will make a bunch more. I don't know whether to put it on my website or not, so lemme know if you are interested.

For guys that want to test them with a promise to give me pictures and feedback, whether good or bad, I will do $89.00 plus $9.00 shipping for a short time as beta testers of a sort. Website pricing will be higher than that.

The plate and bag together comes to 1 pound. The fill inside is Git-Lite. It is 5" square plate and the bag is about 1 3/4" tall.

It's great for glassing and for shooting. I think I am going to offer a bungee strap to lock the binos onto the bag as well. A buddy with the first one I made loves it so much he is planning on taking it hunting to glass and shoot.

View attachment 7597086
View attachment 7597077View attachment 7597081View attachment 7597082View attachment 7597083View attachment 7597085
Is this still available ?