• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Tripod techniques

45cal4life

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2005
Arkansas
First time out with the tripod the other day and it was an eye opener, couldn't keep the rear steady. From the sitting position then held the front of the rifle, base of the tripod, leg of the tripod, wrapping my leg around a tripod leg, spreading the legs on the tripod out, pulled the rifle into the should hard - medium - soft, pushed forward to load the tripod --- nothing seemed to help. Did not bring a strap with me so maybe that is the secret. Tripod is a knock off Manfrotto (6 pounds worth of it though), RRS universal base, Sunwayfoto clamp base and ARCA plate. The forearm does have a curve to it so the plate did not have the most solid connection but I did thread lock the screws and they stayed tight. Fast forward to yesterday, I bedded the plate / forearm and that vastly improved the connection, haven't shot it yet. Any tripod specific techniques or suggestions???

20170731_082520[126].jpg

Tripod legs out didn't seem to help any but I think it looks cool, gotta have cool points

20170731_085428[127].jpg

Attachments

• 20170731_085428[127].jpg
    20170731_085428[127].jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 10
Here are some photos of some basic techniques we teach... These are the best I have on hand. They get tweaked but you can get a rough idea...

Attachments

• Bednar Tripod 2.jpg
    Bednar Tripod 2.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 25
  • Bednar Tripod 1.jpg
    Bednar Tripod 1.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 22
  • AGS Tripod 1.jpg
    AGS Tripod 1.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 26
I have videos on the SH YouTube Channel, several in fact

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DTLUMrhlGMQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fsnipershidellc%2Fvideos%2F10155550657397953%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

Thank you gentlmen, I've identified some flaws using the pics and watching some videos. The rocking side to side movement in the ARCA plate to stock is resolved via the bedding. Then I had the tripod height waayyy too high, I was basically sitting straight up. Lowered the tripod like the video says, that got the shoulders over the hips and now I have the option to use the rear bag to rest / steady the elbow. Making process!!!

Something I learned for kneeling, is using your dominant side knee to support the buttstock preferably with enough space to fit your rearbag in between the stock and your knee. This leaves your non-dominant elbow unsupported, and your dominant elbow can grip the outside of your knee if you tuck it in. Then in all positions, use an overhand grip (thumbs down) with your non-dominant hand to grip the tripod, it will force you to lockout your elbow and rely on bone support. Using a sling to attach to your forend to a riggers belt will help take up the majority of the movement as well.

Also stretch before hand, especially for the sitting (cross legged) position. My leg muscles always spasm initially in the sitting position if I dont stretch, I see it quite often in other shooters as well.